Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: +p in a MOD 60

Default +p in a MOD 60

I need advice on the use of +p ammo in an older S&W Mod. 60.
    Todays version of the Mod 60 comes with the 2 1/8" barrel and is chambered for .357. I have been told the .357 is punishing in this gun and your just as well off using .38+p ammo instead.
    My 60 was purchased in 1983 has a 2" barrel and is chambered for .38 Special (really is just a MOD 36 in stainless) and I never ran much through it other than standard velocity ammo.
    The question is will I eventually have a problem should I give this thing any sort of steady use with the hotter SD loads or +p rounds?
    I have tried contacting S&W via email several times and received no response.
    I should mention that most of the time I'm running 148gr wad cutters through this gun at the range, but, I do like to shoot the round I will carry. Also, does anyone have a particular SD .38 Spl round that might work ?

Thanks for your thoughts, Jack

(Clinton County)

Default Re: +p in a MOD 60

I have a Chief's Special I bought in 72 and have shot plus p on occasion since super vel first came out in the early 70s, probably about 5 boxes total with no ill effect. I wouldn't push my luck with it though.

As a side note light bullets usually shoot low in fixed sight revolvers and 158gr xp shoots high.

(Allegheny County)

Some +P would probably do no harm, but wouldn't overdo it. Cor-bon was making a standard version of their 110 GR DPX for a while. Also, some 38 standard rounds with high performance like Glazer, etc.

If you're looking for a potentially better choice, Buffalo Bore ammo has a standard pressure high performance .38 Round (non +P -- item 20C) 158 GR soft SWCHP. This might be a good round to try. I use their +Ps in new firearms, but the standard in the .45 colt. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.buffalobore.com/

Their .38 +P version is quite hot, but safe in +P rated firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake^ View Post
    Some +P would probably do no harm, but wouldn't overdo it. Cor-bon was making a standard version of their 110 GR DPX for a while. Also, some 38 standard rounds with high performance like Glazer, etc.

If you're looking for a potentially better choice, Buffalo Bore ammo has a standard pressure high performance .38 Round (non +P -- item 20C) 158 GR soft SWCHP. This might be a good round to try. I use their +Ps in new firearms, but the standard in the .45 colt. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.buffalobore.com/

Their .38 +P version is quite hot, but safe in +P rated firearms.
    Outstanding info Jake! I recalled the name (Buffalo Bore) as soon as I read it. Their price per box is not that far away from any of the big name manufacturers of SD/PD ammo. I will give them a try.
    BTW I will try once more to contact S&W customer service to get their official position.

Thanks again for your reply, Jack

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAhunter View Post
    BTW I will try once more to contact S&W customer service to get their official position.
    I've found that emailing them isn't the best way to get an answer. Just call their main number, and ask to speak to one of their gunsmiths. I've done that a couple of times and they're always amazingly helpful.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    I've found that emailing them isn't the best way to get an answer. Just call their main number, and ask to speak to one of their gunsmiths. I've done that a couple of times and they're always amazingly helpful.
    I had the same thought, email sometimes just does not get it done. Called today and spoke to a very nice person that explained that my MOD 60 was NOT +p rated.
    She determined that solely based on the fact I bought it new in 1983. "The MOD 36 as well as the MOD 60 made circa early '80s would not be advisable to use the higher pressure ammunition."
    She also stated those guns manufactured in earlier years (regardless of model number) should be considered suspect with the use of +p type ammo.

Jack

(Allegheny County)

Glad to be of help -- enjoy !

Cheers