Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DENIED

(York County)

Default DENIED

I got a DUI a little over a year ago in Texas where I am stationed on Active Duty in the Army. Currently I am in Iraq on my 2nd deployment and while on R&R I went and applied for my LTCF. I had purchased a handgun about three days before applying for the LTCF and was literally in and out of the store in under an hour. When I went to drop off the LTCF form the very kind gentleman behind the counter at the Sheriff's dept. asked if I wouldn't mind waiting since it was a good 45 minute drive one way. Of course I did not mind and was rather excited that it could go so smoothly. However, he told me that there would need to be more information found before my license was issued. Since I was only there for a few more days, I explained my situation and he again being very cooperative and more than kind, told me that he would still put my app through and hold the paperwork until I returned from deployment and I could just go in and get my picture taken and that would be that. I recently found out that my application was declined. I did not think that the DUI was a dis-qualifier. I was still however paying off a fine from that incident so maybe that was the cause. I am not sure. If anyone has any experience in a situation like this, it would be great to find out more. I plan on submitting another application when I get back. If I could have appealed then I certainly would have done that but it was hard to do being in Iraq. LOL. Thanks again.
    Last edited by PACountryBoy88; August 31st, 2011 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Forgot to spell check.....

(Tioga County)

Default Re: DENIED

You should have received a denial letter stating the reason via certified mail.
    MikeP

(Venango County)

In some states probation doesn't stop until all fines are paid. Being on probation would get you a denial. It does bot have to be supervised probation, just a technicality. Pay off the fines and continue your actions to get a reversal.
    You know why a banana is like a politician?
    When he first comes in he is green, then he turns yellow and then he's rotten.

(York County)

Based on GL's post here: http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/720...html#post76471

"You only have 20 days from the date of the letter to file an appeal in the Court of Common Pleas. If you don't, or you lose your appeal, the denial is final. After that, you have to wait 12 months before re-applying (see Section 6114 of the UFA)."

(Centre County)

Thank you for your service. Good Luck and keep us updated.

(Wyoming County)

Ditto: Thank you for your service.

its funny how the OP can put his life in danger/kill people for our government but gets denied a "license" to carry a gun for not paying a fine or DUI kind of pisses me off. yes i know its "voluntary"
    rant over.
    FJB

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    its funny how the OP can put his life in danger/kill people for our government but gets denied a "license" to carry a gun for not paying a fine or DUI kind of pisses me off. yes i know its "voluntary"
    rant over.
    Actions have consequences, and lack of judgement comes into play on a lot of things. A DUI can have a very negative affect on his military career as well.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ImminentDanger View Post
    Based on GL's post here: http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/720...html#post76471

"You only have 20 days from the date of the letter to file an appeal in the Court of Common Pleas. If you don't, or you lose your appeal, the denial is final. After that, you have to wait 12 months before re-applying (see Section 6114 of the UFA)."

Doesn't make sense.

"The action of the chief of police, sheriff, county treasurer or other officer under this subchapter shall be subject to judicial review in the manner and within the time provided by 2 Pa.C.S. Ch. 7 Subch. B (relating to judicial review of local agency action)." 18 Pa.C.S. 6114. That appears to be 30 days. See http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...ml#post1607790 for an exposition. Appeals, to my knowledge, either goes through PICS up an administrative law route as challenges, or up the courts as provided. Maybe there is a 20 day limit on the PICS challenge route somewhere that was confused.

The bar under 6114 is written as something to invoke, not something that is mandatory. If a sheriff doesn't use it to refuse an applicant or as a bar when appealed to the court, I don't think think the court can raise it sua sponte. It is directory, in the same way that a person may apply for a LTCF and a sheriff may revoke upon good cause. If the legislature wanted to make certain a bar applications within 1 year, it could have omitted the word "not" and replaced "after" with "for".

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    its funny how the OP can put his life in danger/kill people for our government but gets denied a "license" to carry a gun for not paying a fine or DUI
    apples and oranges.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast