Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Taking Guns to West Virginia

It's looking like the magazine capacity limit is 20, not 10 rounds. A paragraph I've found in multiple places reads:

"After June 1, 1994, it is unlawful to sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer any detachable firearm magazine (except a tube magazine for a .22) that will hold more than 20 rounds. Possession is not prohibited."

So as long as you don't try (or succeed) to sell or give away your 30 round magazine within Maryland's borders you're ok.

Regarding ammo in the backseat, that might be a problem, according to this:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf

"Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)

A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.
    "

Sounds like, if you have a trunk, put it all in there. If you don't, I guess you need cases with locks?
    Last edited by new_shooter; August 31st, 2011 at 08:25 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by new_shooter View Post
    It's looking like the magazine capacity limit is 20, not 10 rounds. A paragraph I've found in multiple places reads:

"After June 1, 1994, it is unlawful to sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer any detachable firearm magazine (except a tube magazine for a .22) that will hold more than 20 rounds. Possession is not prohibited."

So as long as you don't try (or succeed) to sell or give away your 30 round magazine within Maryland's borders you're ok.

Regarding ammo in the backseat, that might be a problem, according to this:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf

"Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)

A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.
    "

Sounds like, if you have a trunk, put it all in there. If you don't, I guess you need cases with locks?
    Okay, so weapons unloaded(obviously) in cases in the trunk along with ammo. Thanks

Don't forget ammo goes into a separate container from the weapons. (Weapons in case A, ammo in bag B.)

I didn't notice that in the links, but heard it from a MD state trooper. (And even he wasn't sure if ammo in a pouch on the outside of a weapon bag would count as separate or not. :/ )

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessZ View Post
    Okay thanks a ton, my biggest concern was the 30 round mag in Maryland.
    30 round mags are OK to possess in MD - states statute covers everything BUT possesion. Stupid - like all MD gun laws.

Can't sell, manufacture, sell, offer for sale . . . but you can drive to PA/VA/where ever and buy a truckload.

Makes perfect sense to me

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by new_shooter View Post
    Caveat: I think a loaded magazine is considered a loaded gun, so magazines need to be unloaded as well, but not 100% on that. If that's correct, transport the mags with the guns in the trunk. Don't transport mags with the ammo. Don't have any mags loaded.
    Last time I checked, which was a few weeks ago, I found an opinion by the MD AG (I think?) that said loaded detached magazines do not constitute a loaded firearm.

DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. I don't remember where I found it, but I checked the following places:

-MD shooters forum
    -MD state police
    - handgunlaw.us
    - NRA state laws summary

I make the trip a few times a year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12