Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SA/DA or DAO?

(Allegheny County)

Default SA/DA or DAO?

Trying to decide between a SA/DA or a DOA. I know theres pros n cons to both.

SA/DA: First pull is long then the next pulls are short. However, you can carry cocked and locked.

DOA: Always has a long trigger pull. But, the pull is consistent.

Does anyone have any more advantages or disadvantages? Personal preference?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: SA/DA or DAO?

Some SA/DA can be carried in SA mode (cocked and locked), or decocked to carry in DA for the first shot. Adv. = Adds versatility.
    Some SA/DA allow for a second (or third, etc.) trigger pull in case it doesn't go bang the first time. Adv. = no need to tap and rack on a misfire. Disadv. = May still need to tap and rack if no bang the second time, plus time wasted on second try.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Butler County)

SA/DA: First pull is long then the next pulls are short. However, you can carry cocked and locked.
    Not always, it depends on the design of the pistol. My Beretta is a decocker / safety and the Sigs are hammer down on chambered round.

DOA: Always has a long trigger pull. But, the pull is consistent.
    There is something to be said for consistency in my opinion. Personally I prefer a SAO of the 1911 variety. I can't carry that at work and had to switch over to the DAO or DAK triggers.

I really like the DAK, once you get accustomed to it anyway. It took a couple hundred rounds but now it's second nature though switching between SAO and DAO does feel a bit weird at times.

If you'd like to try them out let me know. I have a couple DAK Sigs and haven't converted my 228 over to DAO yet. I also just got an HK with the LEM which is likely going to be my EDC for the foreseeable future.

I got a sig p229. It took a little bit to get used to going back and forth with the DA/SA trigger pull but i got past it in about 4 range trips. Yes learning two trigger pulls is more difficult than just one but its a good excuse to go shoot more. Honestly i think the argument between which is better DAO and DA/SA is kinda moot. You will get used to both as long as you practice consistently. I chose the sig because it didn't have a safety and had a hard trigger pull for the first shot. Made me feel more comfortable than carrying my 1911 (although i would rather shoot the 1911 when im at the range). I would say make sure what you want. Size, caliber, capacity, safety, feel of the gun, and don't worry about the trigger. Just practice and you will be fine.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

As others have said, the majority of DA/SA pistols can't be cocked and locked.

A few other factors:

Some (not all) DAO pistols require a trigger pull to disassemble.

Most (not all) DA/SA guns have an external safety. Most (not all) DAO pistols don't.

None of the above is a deal-breaker, but each mode of operation requires it's own form of training and discipline.

Also, length of trigger pull is only part of the story. Trigger effort, smoothness, and consistency throughout the pull all make a difference. There are excellent DAO triggers and mediocre SA triggers.

Bottom line, shoot a few guns and see what you like. Then decide which type of action is inherently superior.

(Allegheny County)

Thank you it appears im gonna have to do this the old fashion way by trying everything and seeing what I like. Thanks everyone!