Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Selling long arm to another state question?

I am selling a long arm to a person in Hawaii. I am shipping through an FFL to the buyer's FFL.

Do I need to include any other paperwork besides the purchaser's information? Do I need to make up a Bill of Sales that I am, indeed the seller, and selling my firearm to the buyer?

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Selling long arm to another state question?

I never ship through a FFL on my end, I just mail long guns at the Post Office direct to the buyers FFL.

The buyers FFL will need to know who the gun came from as he has to enter this info in his bound book.
    Since you are the seller, (not the FFL you are using to mail it for you), you will need to send your name and address, IIRC, the bound book has a space for an ID number, but it has been a while since I had to enter anything in a bound book so I can't be sure on that.

I would suggest sending a photocopy of your DL in the box with the gun, that's what I do along with my cell number.

Some states have funky requirements...IE CA...I think HI has some restrictions/requirements as well, but I'm not 100%. Not to mention the shipping cost outside of the 48 is going to hurt you, so hopefully you built that into the price of the firearm.

(Jefferson County)

Make sure the gun is legal in HI first, otherwise you might be paying for shipping both ways.

You should include your name, address, info with the gun so the FFL knows who he acquired it from. And who it is supposed to go to.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

No. In reality you are transferring the firearm to your FFL, who is in turn transferring it to another FFL who happens to be in another state. Once you hand that firearm to your FFL, it is in their possession.

Hawaii has some extremely strict gun control. Imagine New Jersey, but worse. The good news is that a wrong turn in PA does not put you on a bridge bound for Hawaii.

To summarize, the FFL has the issue of whether or not he/she can ship the firearm to Hawaii. I would recommend dealing with an FFL that has experience shipping all over, like Tanners. A little known secret is that Tanners (in Jamison PA, my favorite shop for used guns) ships to California.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    No. In reality you are transferring the firearm to your FFL, who is in turn transferring it to another FFL who happens to be in another state. Once you hand that firearm to your FFL, it is in their possession.

Hawaii has some extremely strict gun control. Imagine New Jersey, but worse. The good news is that a wrong turn in PA does not put you on a bridge bound for Hawaii.

To summarize, the FFL has the issue of whether or not he/she can ship the firearm to Hawaii. I would recommend dealing with an FFL that has experience shipping all over, like Tanners. A little known secret is that Tanners (in Jamison PA, my favorite shop for used guns) ships to California.
    Funny you mentioned Tanners since I had intentions of shipping through them (Its just an awesome place to deal with).

Based on my research it appears that Hawaii only has magazine capacity limitations on pistols with 10+ detachable magazines. Since the magazine is integral into the long arm, it should to be okay. I will double check tomorow with Tanner's.