Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Thumbs down AK-74 rusty after 3 months of storage

As always, I clean and lube my guns after every range day. However, some of my guns get shot more than others do. So, around 3 months ago, I had shot around a hundred rounds through my Bulgarian AK-74 of military corrosive surplus ammo. Afterwards, I had used Windex to dissolve the corrosive chemicals and then cleaned my gun with either Brake Free CLP or Complete Gun Treatment, I don’t remember which. I then put my gun in the safe where she stayed until the other day.

My new girlfriend (whom is also a gun girl) had come over to my place. I was showing her some of my guns, and safety checking each gun as I went along. When I got to the AK-74, I tried to rack it with no luck; it was stuck. After a few failed attempts, I had to tap it with a mallet to get it back. Upon inspection, I had found rust on the piston head and inside the gas block which resulted in the two parts being stuck together.

So, here’s my question. If Brake Free CLP and Complete Gun Treatment won’t protect a firearm from rusting after just 3 months, what will? I know a lot of people have safe queens, and I’m just curious as to what people are using.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: AK-74 rusty after 3 months of storage

I've NEVER had a problem aside from bad ammo with ANY of my ak platform rifles. I've honestly left them outside for days submerged. I keep them soaked with used mobil1 motor oil. None of them are pretty all of them will function 100%.

(Westmoreland County)

One of the problems with corrosive ammo in gas operated auto-loading arms is the salts that cause the corrosion go all through the action. Including the gas system (On an AK the gas block, gas tube and piston) and not just the barrel. As a result you have to clean ALL of the gas system and not just the barrel.

As your post was unspecific as to whether you cleaned the whole gas system or just swabbed the barrel. If you didn't I'd suggest you start doing so. Also when shooting corrosive ammunition I'd suggest you clean the weapon each day for three days till all the salts get nutralized. This is what I was taught by alot of old soldiers who had been taught that way when corrosive ammunition was standard issue.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

(Beaver County)

Can't argue with the above statements. My own personal experiences with corrosive ammo were never bad. Always followed up a day of shooting corrosive with hot soapy (Dawn) water, thorough scrubbing of everything, then dry with a heat gun, clean as normal, and soak in oil. Never had a rust issue doing that.
    Last edited by JesterPgh; August 29th, 2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: forgot something.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK007 View Post
    ... When I got to the AK-74, I tried to rack it with no luck; it was stuck. After a few failed attempts, I had to tap it with a mallet to get it back. Upon inspection, I had found rust on the piston head and inside the gas block which resulted in the two parts being stuck together....
    This is very common with new AKs. It's happened to me once or twice, until I learned to wash out the gas cylinder and oil it afterward. The piston should be stainless or chrome plated, so you're good to go on that detail.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Monroe County)

Yeah, you missed a spot, its not unusual for that to happen, after using corrosive ammo those 2 spots are what will come back to bite you- the gas tube and pistion head.

(Allegheny County)

Exactly why I never plan to run corrosive through any of my AKs. Too many places for that corrosive residue to hide and too much time to clean. I have no problems running corrosive through my Mosins, but I also don't have to clean a gas system.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the replies so far. At least now I know where the corrosive stuff likes to hide. I do plan on adding a better preventative product though. I'm going to experiment with different products and am open to suggestions as to what you guys and girls use.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK007 View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. At least now I know where the corrosive stuff likes to hide. I do plan on adding a better preventative product though. I'm going to experiment with different products and am open to suggestions as to what you guys and girls use.
    Check your muzzle device well, too. And for those of you who would stay away from "corrosive," consider what it costs to shoot anything else in comparison. A bit of a cleaning and I shoot for 10¢ a pop. Even Dan's is up to 13¢ a round, and that's before shipping.

It's good to be ... the King.

(Cumberland County)

op, your wasting windex,just use water.
    water will nutralze the salts just fine.
    make sure you scrub the gun good,and dry it.
    clean/lube as you see fit............

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast