Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Unhappy 327 Patriot problems

So i got a charter arms patriot recently. I took it to the range and was disappointed. The first 12 shots where good and the accuracy was decent. On the third cylinder though the problems began. After shooting the 3rd cylinder I could no longer eject the from the cylinder using the ejector rod. I had to tap on it with my leatherman to get them out. I tried another cylinder and the same thing. I examined the shells and found that they were expanding approximately an 1/8 inch above the rim. There was no splits or cracks. I took it back to where I bought it and they sent it back to the manufacturer. I recently got it back. The note they sent with it said they had test fired it and had no problems and that it was within factory specs. Took it to the range to find out the exact same thing happened. I'm wondering if there is anything I should be looking for. I havent found anything noticeably wrong with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 327 Patriot problems

Sounds like the cylinder chambers too large in diameter to me.

One thing that may help is to polish the chambers. It'll eliminate the rough edges that grab into the brass.

Nearly every gun of mine has had it's chamber(s) polished to near mirror like finish. I haven't had a stuck case in ages.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 27th, 2011 at 06:23 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Like Knight said, give the cylinder chambers a good polish. I use Mothers Polish on all my guns. Get a cotton shotgun swab and chuck it in a drill and go at them. Clean them real good and it stops a lot of trouble. Also have a small smooth cut file when you start. If you feel a bur, you can take it out with one or two light swipes of the file.

Charter Arms does not make bad guns now, they have gotten better, but they don't make great guns.

Try shooting some .32 mags and see what they do.

(Bucks County)

it seems to me the only way the shell could expand enough to get stuck is if the cylinders were slightly out of spec. i have several revolvers and i've never had an empty case expand to the point were i couldn't get them out by using the extractor.

18 rounds is enough to residue the cylinder bores. Lot of powder in those cartridges. You said it happens after the third cylinder, shot. The tolerances are tight. Swab the cylinder bores after every twelve rounds, or when they get sticky. If it is out of spec, it is doubtful the first few rounds would come out without sticking, plus, brass has to expand quite a bit to not go back into place. A good polish job (I've polished all my revolver bores, as well) will allow you to shoot a few more rounds with no sticking, but it will eventually build up enough to where you will have to swab the bores every so often while you are shooting.

Is this reloaded brass, or new?
    Last edited by harold63; August 28th, 2011 at 09:11 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Berks County)

Thanks, Ill try polishing the cylinders. IT was after the third cylinder when I first got it but now Itll do it on the first one after being cleaned. I bought it for my gf to learn to shoot with so for now ill just stick to 32 hr Long ammo. I will be polishing the bore though to see if I cant fix it though.

(Jefferson County)

Can you provide a good picture of the fired brass?

Some expansion is expected where you noted it happening(1/8" above rim). If the chambers are too big in diameter, or if there is excessive headspace, you will get a much more pronounced bulge right there and the brass wont seal the chamber properly letting more residue in the chamber.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Can you provide a good picture of the fired brass?

Some expansion is expected where you noted it happening(1/8" above rim). If the chambers are too big in diameter, or if there is excessive headspace, you will get a much more pronounced bulge right there and the brass wont seal the chamber properly letting more residue in the chamber.
    Good point.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.