Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: nationwide reciprocity bill H.R. 822 from NRA website

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Havoc View Post
    My NJ permit was good for two years. In order to get it I had to get a letter of need, fill out two or three sets of paperwork, take an NRA course, go see a shrink and get an 'okay to carry' letter from them, then go to the police academy and take a written test. If I passed I was allowed to shoot the FBI 25 yard combat course under the Lt's observation. Had to shoot it three times with a cumulative score of 80%. After all that the judge had the final say. Every two years is cost me between $300 and $600 to maintain my permit. Oh, and I could only carry a pistol I had qualified with.

I agree with needing to be careful, too many back door deals are made when it comes to politics. I'm all for being able to carry nation-wide but I'm torn on this one.

Did you have to go through all of the BS every two years, or did you just have to cut a check to renew your NJ permit?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by sigsauer357 View Post
    Did you have to go through all of the BS every two years, or did you just have to cut a check to renew your NJ permit?
    Same BS every two years, such a PITA. Checks to everyone... Usually the shrink cost a little less but not much.

(Columbia County)

Why the hostility toward this bill? This isn't some sort of federal takeover. We all quote the second amendment, which is at the federal level. Every state, including PA, that limits carrying is in violation of the second amendment. All this bill will do is help give back some of the constitutional rights to bear arms which these states have eroded away.

Quote Originally Posted by JDrini-NJ View Post
    That still wouldn't help us here in NJ! Less then 1000 CCW permits have been issued here outside of LEO's to my knowledge. I have done alot of homework on this topic. Please reply and correct me if I am wrong on that stat.
    That's right. This particular bill wouldn't help you. However, that's no reason not to contact your representative and help the millions of other gun owners in this country. Maybe if 40 other states' permit holders are carrying in NJ, it might make it easier to pass new legislation there or at least make it easier to obtain a permit under the current system.

(Chester County)

I can't believe how stupid some people on this forum are. First of all, READ THE GOD DAMN BILL. Second, read the other 937483687 threads on it.

The bill gives absolutely ZERO authority to the federal government that it doesn't already have. period.

All that it does is extend current reciprocity agreements nationally. That's it.

You still have to abide by the laws of the state you are in, and each state's issuing process will remain unchanged. AZ will still require fingerprints, PA still won't. Texas still won't allow bar carry, PA still will.

THIS IS NOT A NATIONAL LICENSE. It is national recognition of current individual state licenses.

If you don't have a problem with the concept of current reciprocity agreements, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why you wouldn't support this bill.

Quote Originally Posted by XACEX View Post
    I can't believe how stupid some people on this forum are. First of all, READ THE GOD DAMN BILL. Second, read the other 937483687 threads on it.

The bill gives absolutely ZERO authority to the federal government that it doesn't already have. period.

All that it does is extend current reciprocity agreements nationally. That's it.

You still have to abide by the laws of the state you are in, and each state's issuing process will remain unchanged. AZ will still require fingerprints, PA still won't. Texas still won't allow bar carry, PA still will.

THIS IS NOT A NATIONAL LICENSE. It is national recognition of current individual state licenses.

If you don't have a problem with the concept of current reciprocity agreements, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why you wouldn't support this bill.
    That was what I was thinking it was all about too, well said.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

(Dauphin County)

I can't believe how stupid some people on this forum are.
    Nice.
    First of all, READ THE [expletive deleted] BILL.
    I did.
    Second, read the other 937483687 threads on it.
    That's a lot of threads.

Do you understand the contradiction in that quote?

The bill gives (or takes for) the federal government the authority to dictate to the states which out-of-state firearms permits they have to accept. Whether or not that's a good thing is open to reasonable debate. But it does give (or take, or recognize, or claim, or seize) a previously unclaimed power to the federal government.

Current reciprocity agreements are agreements made between the states. This is a not an agreement, but a top-down decree from the federal government. Maybe that's a good thing, but it's not the same thing as what happens now.

(Chester County)

If my PA Driver's License is valid in all 50 states
    if my Marriage license is valid in all 50 states

Then my PA LTCF should be valid in all 50 states.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Lackawanna County)

All the US Congress has to do is reaffirm the US Constitution by stating that the right of the people to bear arms is guaranteed in all US teritories and shall not be abridged by any state or court.

Wouldn't this force the states that are not now shall issue to become shall issue as well? If not, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference to me since you will be required to obtain the permit in your home state...Is that correct?
    SECONDS matter when the Police are MINUTES away!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDrini-NJ View Post
    Wouldn't this force the states that are not now shall issue to become shall issue as well? If not, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference to me since you will be required to obtain the permit in your home state...Is that correct?
    No, it doesn't force May Issue states to become Shall Issue. It just forces them to honor other state's licenses for non-residents.

It is only for non-resident carry. So you, while in your home state, would still have to have a license from your home state or a license that your state honors.

Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms

‘(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--

‘(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or

‘(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes
    Last edited by knight0334; August 30th, 2011 at 09:56 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast