Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Angry Dicks Plymouth meeting

SO I went out to Dicks sporting goods in Plymouth meeting I bought 3 boxes of 9mm Winchester pxd 20 rds a box and was asked to show my drivers license
    I was a little perturbed but I wanted to make the purchase After he saw my ID he asked if I was a US citizen I looked at him strangely and now angry and told him yes I'm an American citizen He then told me they have to ask and even if I made a joke and said i wasn't he would refuse to sell me the ammo I said well I showed you my drivers licsence he said anyone can have a drivers license it doesn't mean you are a citizen I said I buy ammo here all the time he said well its our policy
    I said again I never heard of this policy and no one ever asked for my license or if I was a citizen He said that's the way things are now a days I left because I wanted to get to the super market and didn't feel like getting any more involved into a discussion I left thinking I could lie and say i was a US citizen and what could he do? But it was after the fact and didn't think of it at the time
    Anyone heard of such a" policy" a Dicks?
    Last edited by Phillygunguy; August 27th, 2011 at 12:19 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Dicks Plymouth meeting

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygunguy View Post
    Anyone heard of such a" policy" a Dicks?
    Yes. It happened last year in Langhorne, Bucks county. They said it was because NJ residents were buying ammo in PA, a legal transaction. A bunch of us - as I recall mostly members of Falls Township R&P - started a letter writing campaign and thought that we had stopped this practice. I've heard that it may be happening again up here and now it looks like it's spreading. It looks like it's time to get on their case again. Below is a copy of the letter that we used. Feel free to use it, modifying any way that you wish.

Bill

Edward W. Stack, Chairman & CEO
    Dick’s Sporting Goods
    300 Industry Drive
    RIDC Park West
    Pittsburgh, PA 15275

Dear Mr. Stack,

It has come to my attention that Dick’s Sporting Goods stores in Eastern Pennsylvania have been enforcing New Jersey’s anti-gun laws on customers seeking to purchase handgun ammunition. Purchasers of handgun ammunition have been asked to prove their state of residence, and sales of handgun ammunition have reportedly been refused to New Jersey residents.

I regard such practices as an insult to both Pennsylvania and New Jersey residents.

Pennsylvania gun owners have fought too hard resisting draconian anti-gun laws like New Jersey’s to accept having them imposed by a retailer in Pennsylvania. What’s more, New Jersey residents purchasing handgun ammunition in Pennsylvania, for use at gun clubs or other venues in Pennsylvania, are violating no law, and refusing to sell ammunition to them because of New Jersey’s anti-freedom laws implies suspicion of criminal intent on their part. It is insulting, and it is not the appropriate role for a retailer.

It has further been alleged that local management of Dick’s Sporting Goods stores in Pennsylvania have told ammunition customers inquiring about the policy that “It’s the law.” Dick’s management or staff members who make such statements are either deliberately lying, to shift the blame for a shameful corporate policy, or are unacceptably ignorant of Pennsylvania and federal law. It also has been alleged that enforcement of the policy has been tinged by allegations of racial profiling, which would imply civil rights violations.

Please advise me as to the corporate policy of Dick’s Sporting Goods regarding the enforcement of extra-legal anti-gun policies in its stores, and whether such practices will cease in the immediate future; or whether I, my family, and friends should seek other, more respectful retailers in Pennsylvania for our shooting and outdoor needs.

Sincerely,

(Blair County)

when did Philly become part on the good ole U.S.A....

(Chester County)

Thanks wew3 I will definitely send this letter . I knew some sneaky antigun bullshit was going on I just couldn't put my finger on it. Maybe other people on here should go to Dicks and see if they get the same response. It maybe time to boycott Dicks

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Lobo 00 View Post
    when did Philly become part on the good ole U.S.A....
    Believe it or not Philly was the birthplace of the Nation! You'd never believe it though

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygunguy View Post
    ... and now angry and told him yes I'm an American citizen...
    Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post
    They said it was because NJ residents were buying ammo in PA...
    I put this whole thing together in a completely different way.