Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Newbie

(Centre County)

Default Newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm new to shooting but would like to get into pistol target shooting. I do not have a gun right now but I am hoping to purchase a Ruger MKIII soon. I'm trying to find a range I can shot at but haven't had much luck. Can you guys recommend some ranges in the area and discuss how their facilities are set up (if I have to bring my own target and ammo)?

Thanks
    Justin

Default Re: Newbie

Can't help you with ranges as I am not in your area, but would suggest that you get your License to Carry Firearms now from your local sheriff.

It makes trips to the range in your vehicle much easier and also will let you carry concealed on your person if you desire to in the future.

It also, among other things, lets you carry your gun in your vehicle, even if not going to the range.

(Schuylkill County)

Yahoo Search: Gun Clubs near State College, PA It lists 11 clubs in your area with contact phone numbers. There are no free ranges in PA anymore as the game commission ranges require a hunting lic. or a range permit. In my opinion the best thing for a new shooter beside a firearm training course or someone you trust to teach you. Is to join a rod and gun club as the other members can sometimes provide some basic instruction and firearm safety. In my area you need to supply your own firearm, ammo, and targets at the ranges I use. All clubs are different so you'll need to call them to see if they even have a pistol range and how much to join. Good luck

(Centre County)

Justin,
    Welcome to PAFOA and to the shooting community. The PGC range at Scotia is open to the public, but as said, you either have to buy a range permit or a hunting license to be able to use it. I think the hunting license is the better way (IMO) because if you want to go hunting you won't be paying twice for the privilege of shooting at Scotia. That said, Scotia has what is called the auxiliary range, which is outside the formal range (fenced in) so I don't know how the range permit would work there. I need to take a trip out to make sure of the exact rules.

We have a pretty big contingent of PAFOAers here in the central region. We get together every now and then, sometimes at my place, many times out at Scotia. The next gathering at my place will be in October when I host a sporting goods only garage sale. Members gather up their unwanted sporting goods (guns, archery, fishing, RC, military surplus, camping, hunting etc., etc., etc.) and bring it to my place to sell, buy, trade.

Watch the forum here and every now and then someone will post that they are going to Scotia to shoot if anyone wants to join them. We get together and do a lot of shooting and typically will get to shoot the different guns that people bring. The PAFOAers in the western part of the state hold a group shoot once a month out at PMSC where everyone is invited. Check the events threads to see when the next one is.

There are other private ranges in the Centre region. One that I am familiar with, and is a good range, is over towards Lewistown (actually Burnham). It is the Mifflin Count Sportsmens Association. Cost about $50 a year but is a very good range with rifle ranges going out to 1000yds IIRC.

When you are ready, it just so happens that I have a NIB Ruger Mark III (Blued with 5 1/2" bull barrel) for sale and I can make you a good deal on it if you are interested.

If you have questions, post them here and you'll get answers. You can also PM me and I'll try to answer any questions you might have.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Justin,
    (snip) That said, Scotia has what is called the auxiliary range, which is outside the formal range (fenced in) so I don't know how the range permit would work there. I need to take a trip out to make sure of the exact rules.
    (snip)
    Still need a range permit or hunting license for the auxiliary range.

I'm not positive, but I think Scotia is the only PGC range in the state with a fenced in area and an attendant. Most PGC ranges are just like Scotia's auxiliary ranges.
    Last edited by PA452; August 28th, 2011 at 12:28 AM.