Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Considering joining SCCSFA

Anyone want to share recent experiences of feedback?

Thanks
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

(Chester County)

Default Re: Considering joining SCCSFA

I live near there and have considered joining as well. I know you have to be a NRA member and that kinda bothers me.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Chester County)

im a member. its pretty chill there. all the info is on the website. definitely worth it if you shoot a lot or trap shoot. havent fished there but they have a big pond stocked with trout and a 24/7 archery range too.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by XACEX View Post
    im a member. its pretty chill there. all the info is on the website. definitely worth it if you shoot a lot or trap shoot. havent fished there but they have a big pond stocked with trout and a 24/7 archery range too.
    thanks for the feedback
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

(Montgomery County)

I'm also a member at SCCSFA. There were a couple of reasons I joined the club versus ones that were closer to me was because they do not have restrictions on how many rounds you can load in your magazine and how fast you can shoot. I like to practice drills and there is no way I would be able to get that chance with the LPRGC that is a lot closer to me. Other reasons I joined was the membership dues were not too expensive, volunteer work is not mandatory (but is welcomed), they have a stocked lake for fishing, and the range is usually empty. The property is pretty secure and they have a fair amount of security cameras over the benches and down range. Some people may consider that too "big brother" but the intention was to make sure property does not "walk off" and to make sure people are following the club rules - mainly safety. They've ejected people for unsafe firearms handling and other various violations. I personally am glad that someone is watching my back. Let me know if you have any questions about the club. You'll usually see the VP of the club, Dave, there on weekends taking care of the property. I'll say this, every single member that I've met there so far has been genuinely nice and I've not had a single issue with anyone. One time I was there, a nice gentleman gave me some trigger time behind some of his WWII guns

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    I'm also a member at SCCSFA. There were a couple of reasons I joined the club versus ones that were closer to me was because they do not have restrictions on how many rounds you can load in your magazine and how fast you can shoot. I like to practice drills and there is no way I would be able to get that chance with the LPRGC that is a lot closer to me. Other reasons I joined was the membership dues were not too expensive, volunteer work is not mandatory (but is welcomed), they have a stocked lake for fishing, and the range is usually empty. The property is pretty secure and they have a fair amount of security cameras over the benches and down range. Some people may consider that too "big brother" but the intention was to make sure property does not "walk off" and to make sure people are following the club rules - mainly safety. They've ejected people for unsafe firearms handling and other various violations. I personally am glad that someone is watching my back. Let me know if you have any questions about the club. You'll usually see the VP of the club, Dave, there on weekends taking care of the property. I'll say this, every single member that I've met there so far has been genuinely nice and I've not had a single issue with anyone. One time I was there, a nice gentleman gave me some trigger time behind some of his WWII guns

Thanks that is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

(Montgomery County)

One thing that I forgot to mention is that you do not need to be sponsored to join the club. You just have to show up to one of the orientation meetings. At the meeting, they will review the membership handbook from front to back. The purpose of that is so that no one can say that they didn't know what the rules were or that no one told them.

http://www.sccsfa.org/page13/page13.html

Let me know if you decide to join. I'm always looking forward to meeting more members.

(Chester County)

Default Re: SCCSFA

This range location is convenient to me. However, it's only 100 yards and would never do for groundhog hunters. Handgun would be okay.

The last time I attended a meeting intending to join it was announced West Marlborough Twp had enacted a rate of fire ordinance. I have little interest in rapid fire, but that kind of meddling offends me. Asked for my check back, joined Atglen, and never looked back.

The NRA requirement is worthy. Anyone who owns a gun and is not NRA should be ashamed.

The SCCSFA web site states no loaded firearms are permitted in the Clubhouse. Seriously? We carry guns!

Interestingly, SCCSFA had a presence at NRA 2011 Pittsburgh. As many times as I stopped at the table, no one ever was there.

BILL SHANER
    BILL

I've been a member of SCCSFA for a few years now, great club. Just a few things to consider/words of advice:

-KNOW THE RULES. You may get called out for breaking them, even when you are not. I had this happen a few times. Once, I was shooting during legal shooting hours in the summer. Guy runs down to me, starts telling me I can't shoot because it's after hours. I told him I was fully within my rights to be shooting at this time, and he didn't believe me. I had to then walk him over to the board that has all shooting hours posted, point to the month it was, point to the end time, to prove to him it was legal shooting time.
    Another time, another member approached my father about not displaying his fishing license at the lake. My dad turned to him, showed him his license, clearly displayed. Guy then says, "Remember, three fish limit." Dad said "I know the rules!!". A few members I've met are a little big brotherish. That being said, I've met alot of friendly people there.

-Shooting hours are limited. Between shooting matches, special group shoots, and special activites it's tough to sometimes be able to shoot when you want. Also, local ordinances are very strict in dictating what hours shooting is allowed.

That being said, there are lots of hardworking volunteers that work together for the betterment of this club. Money is wisely spent. Lots of good ideas, programs, classes etc if you want to get involved. The lake is awesome, lots of big fish, and it is a nice size to accomodate alot of anglers. The fee to join and renew is very reasonable for what is offered at the club.

I love it, wish I could get there more often!

(Delaware County)

thanks. I plan on going to the next orientation meeting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast