Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Campus Carry Gov Corbett's office reply

Obviously campus carry is a political hot potatoe that Gov. Corbett does not want to get involved in.

Why don't we just sue the Commonwealth to obey the law, all we need is a lawyer and money. If everybody kicked in $10.00 and we got donations from the college students we could do this.

My last letter and reply.

August 22, 2011

Governor Tom Corbett,

On July 29, 2011 I wrote to you about de-funding our state and community colleges until they permit firearms on campus. I waited patiently until last week for an answer, I called your office last week and was told I would not be getting a written reply and that because of Columbia vs Heller you could not do anything about firearms on campus.. I am not a lawyer but I see nothing in that decision that pertains to this situation if I am wrong please let me know where.

Colorado, Utah and Michigan presently allow firearms on campus so there is no federal law against it & according to 18PA C. S. there is no PA state law against firearms on campus.

Don't our college students have rights under the Castle Doctrine that you just signed? This is the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania not New Jerseystan and our students and citizens deserve better. We want to be able to take care of our own just like the law says.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Jerry Guerriere

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Governor Corbett via email to explain your concerns again about this issue. Since the budget has already passed for this fiscal year, he will certainly keep your thoughts in mind when developing next year’s fiscal budget. Should you have questions or concerns related to another issue concerning Pennsylvania in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact our office again.

Best regards

Nobody even signed the reply.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Campus Carry Gov Corbett's office reply

So, essentially they just don't want to get involved is what I get out of that response.

I'm not sure if "...de-funding our state and community colleges until they permit firearms on campus...." is the best approach to this, as that does involve the budget that out politicians will never get straight. I'm not sure how it can be better handled, but there has to be another way to open their eyes and get a little bit more than a generic "sweep it under the rug" type of reaction. It's also not like those involved can really do an "armed sit-in" or anything in peaceful protest of this on campuses without having to face legal issues and firearms laws.

(Lehigh County)

Do you realize that such a defunding would be political suicide? The teachers and many parents & students are already pissed at the education cuts that had to be done, defunding the schools over the anti-gun rules could very well usher in an anti-gun governor.

The fight belongs in either the legislature or the courts on this one.

(Chester County)

I am not sure this issue will end up in the courts as is. College campuses have the option of banning many legal items, firearms being one of them and alcohol another.

Students are not compelled to attend any particular college so no rights are violated.

What would have to happen is an affirmative statement in the form of a bill from the legislature and the signature of the governor requiring colleges to allow firearms on campus. Good luck with that!

(Philadelphia County)

I can't see the Governor taking any correspondence with the term "New Jerseytan" seriously.

(Dauphin County)

I can't see the Governor taking any correspondence seriously (the kind which can be inspected by legal process, like a right to know request or a subpoena, anyway).

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    I can't see the Governor taking any correspondence with the term "New Jerseytan" seriously.
    Very much agreed. +rep
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    I agree.

We tried to tell you before Jerry that this probably wasn't the best way to go about trying to effect change. Asking the Governor to commit political suicide, and to do something I'm not even sure he has the legal authority to do, just isn't going to work....

I would consult a lawyer before you move ahead with the lawsuit idea. You might need to find someone that has standing in order to proceed with a lawsuit. Good luck trying to find someone to volunteer for that....
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Monroe County)

yeah this isn't going to work, but its worth a try I guess haha. If you don't want to go on campus unarmed then don't go. The majority of courses can be taken online now so you never have a need to set foot on the campus. If you do then secure your weapon in a locked compartment of your car and lock the car, don't tell anyone about it. Problem solved

and what the hell is Jerseytan?

and I believe the reps for Corbett may have been addressing this:

2) Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons. Pp. 54–56.[43][44]
    Basically they are saying that the supreme court upheld that it IS legal for schools to not permit firearms on their property.So if the PA State Gov passed a law forcing state institutions to allow firearms on their premises then it could be struck down as unconstitutional based on this supreme court ruling

additionally, de-fund the schools? are you serious? Granted I don't know how they can possibly need gov't funds based off how much I'm fucking paying but apparently they do? regardless I hope there is no person in this state who honestly thinks that an appropriate solution to guns on campus is to shut the schools down.
    Last edited by Dredly; August 26th, 2011 at 08:47 AM.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.