Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default My Target Master Experience today...

^EDIT: I meant the thread to be called "My Target Master Experience Today"

Today I went to Target Master with my wife for the first time. I've read alot of negatives about the staff but all but one person was pretty nice. They were really crowded and it doesn't really seem like they have lines, you're waiting there and someone just walks up in front of you from every angle..it was getting alittle irritating.

It was my first time shooting in years and my wife's first time altogether. I picked the guns to rent since she knows jack shit and they were getting busy so we really didn't have much time to browse the rental case. I was gonna get the S&W M&P .45 but they didn't have it for rent, so I decided on the M&P 9mm since I haven't shot in a while and I got my wife the M&P 9mm Compact.

When we went back to the range, the range master asked us if we have experience and I said I have but I haven't shot in a few years so he offered to give me a quick refresher and show my wife basically how to use the gun altogether. He was extremely friendly and very helpful to me and my wife.

I'll tell you when you haven't shot in years, atleast for me I forgot how much psychological thought it takes not to squeeze with my hand when shooting at the targets. The first 3 or 4 shots were perfect, dead on but then after they kept on dropping. The range master saw that I was getting agitated and offered his advice and kept on repeating "squeeze with your trigger finger, not with your hand". It helped when he was right there but then he'd walk away and I get a few good shots off and then they'd start to drop.

I really had to swallow my ego today and tell myself I'm not really an experienced shooter, nor have I ever really been and just take the help that's being offered. I just have to practice pulling the trigger with no ammo on my father-in-laws 9mm to acustom my hand to not over squeezing the gun and keep it straight instead of dropping the muzzle when I shoot.

About the M&P's. The full size 9 that I was shooting was light and I really didn't notice any recoil. Very easy to shoot except for my issue in the above paragraph. I think next time, wherever I go, I'm gonna try the M&P .45 if I can...that's what I'm leaning towards buying in the months to come as my carry weapon.

The 9mm compact that my wife was shooting was extremely light and harder for me to shoot since my hands are alot bigger than the gun. There was however one issue with the compact that I thought at first she was doing wrong but when I tried it the same thing happened. After she loaded the clip and put it in, everytime she pulled back on the slide, the bullet that was suppossed to become chambered kept falling out...I took after she was done firering and only loaded like 5 rounds in the clip and when I pulled back on the slide, the round popped out again. Did not like that at all. I didn't have that problem or any with the full size I was shooting.

All in all, I say our experience was good, alittle expensive, but I got to practice and see what I needed to work on and we had fun. I really like the M&P model alot and I'm excited to purchase one in the upcoming months. If it wasn't for the range master being so friendly and helpful, I don't think we would have left saying we'd ever want to go back.
    Last edited by mtp81; January 14th, 2008 at 12:28 AM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: My Target Master Experience today...

I've had both good and bad experiences there and they weren't bad enough to keep me from shooting there. Mostly cranky staff but who hasn't had an off day now and again?
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Chester County)

I shoot there all the time and have had no problem at all. Everyone has been very courteous and helpful. I have the M&P 9 and I absolutely love it. First gun I bought and was surprised how easy and accurate it is.

(Philadelphia County)

Does TM require you to purchase your ammo there, or can you bring your own?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jld34 View Post
    Does TM require you to purchase your ammo there, or can you bring your own?
    You only have to buy their ammo if you use a rental. But they also have some asinine ammo restrictions posted: no WWB, Wolf, or Blazer.

(Delaware County)

If you want to shoot your AR, you have to buy their frangible ammo. The price was reasonable the last time I was there.

(Chester County)

I'm a member of TargetMaster. As was said... I've seen cranky staff and a cranky owner... but the staff seem to be good people and they try to help.

As for the line... when you walk in, try to get checked in... they do track who is waiting for range time. Aslo, try to go on a weekday or weekday evening.... if you MUST go on a weekend, do your shooting before noon... Saturday/Sunday midafternoon is CRAZY there.

Their ammo prices aren't bad... they sell 9mm Remington for about $10... which is close to WalMart and Dicks (unless you buy a case). They DO try to keep the price reasonable. Last time I was there their 9mm range ammo was 147gr Golden Saber because they got a good deal on a load that was rejected by a goverenment contract (or so I heard).

(Chester County)

This past fall I tried getting a marlin model 60 through them (to separately have engraved as a gift for a friend.)

After three weeks of dealing with ordering delays, they finally came through with the gun (at full retail price) and when I showed to examine it, it was obviously not factory new.

It had a big ding in the top of the receiver and the scope rail had been used, with very evident marks of rings being mounted on there already. It looked like it had maybe been a shop floor model somewhere, then been repackaged for sale.

It would have been "ok" if they had said "hey, we have this floor model..." or if it had been some kind of discount.

Waiting three weeks on what they claimed was an order through the distributor, at full retail followed by "what, you don't like it?" when I showed them that it obviously was not "new" is horrible service.

(French Creek Outfitters had the gun, in new shape, in a week. Stull full retail, but what I expected in a reasonable time.)

(Delaware County)

It wasn't a bad experience overall but it could have been better. The guy who helped us out with the rentals and everything was nice and patient considering I'm no expert on handguns or ammo but know alittle bit and it was very busy at the time but it didn't seem to bother him. I believe this is him from their website.
    http://www.targetmaster.com/Range/range.html

The other guy at the counter, tall and skinny with a goatee thing going on was an asshole but that was it. The range master was extremely friendly and helpful. He gave my wife a quick lesson and it was more of a refresher for me since I haven't shot in a while. He was also giving me a lot of tips to help me hit the target better.

I would go back but it was expensive. We rent 2 handguns, got 200 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 9mm, 2 pairs of ear muffs and safety glasses and like 4 targets each...all totaled at $96.

I would love to go often to practice shooting but right now I don't own a handgun yet, so I have to rent and next time I go, I want to rent the XD-45, so I'll have to buy ammo for that too. I just don't have the extra money to spend at the range at the moment.

I have almost 100 9mm rounds leftover from when I went there and if I went there again and rented a 9mm, could I use the ammo I had left over from my last visit there or will they make me buy more?

(Montgomery County)

I've already posted regarding my opinion of Targetmaster. In short, I don't go there anymore. Partially because of some of the people Tom (the owner) hires, and partially because of their stupid restrictions on ammo. They don't allow lead bullets or any reloads either, btw. Plus, I now live closer to a nicer range that I can shoot any ammo I want except steel shot and AP. That makes sense. I can also shoot high-powered rifles with my own damn ammo at my new range. One of the few things I do miss, however, is that Targetmaster allows rapid fire, which makes for good training. Oh, the range I visit regularly now is http://www.classicpistol.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast