Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 Trigger

I just got the BG two days ago took it to the range. The trigger is really long, I spoke to an employee at the gun shop he said it was a safety measure. Is there a gun smith that can adjust the trigger to not be as long?

Default Re: Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 Trigger

The guy at the gun shop was (as most people in gun shops are) only partially right. It's probably more of a function of design than specifically engineered into the gun as only a "safety feature".

Even if it's doable, it's probably not a good idea. In a hammer fired gun like this, the trigger is most easily lightened by swapping the mainspring. The problem is that, even if it still has the punch to reliably set off primers... when you have such a small gun with a low-mass slide, the designers often use the heavy spring to slow down the slide. If you start messing with the spring, you might start messing with all kinds of reliability factors.

It's a gun meant to be carried a lot and shot a little. Unfortunately, my advice is practice as much as is necessary to become proficient and then just deal with it.

The short answer to the OP's question is no. You can make it lighter, but not shorter.

The trigger pull distance is made that long on purpose, it is designed to keep you or anyone that handles the gun from negligently shooting yourself or someone else.

A long DAO pull makes a manual safety unnecessary in the eyes of most people.

(Delaware County)

its like a revolver's da pull the gunshop guy was right i am considering one myself

Looks like I didn't pay full attention to the question... the question was about length of pull and not weight.

That being said, I stand by what I said. The guy at the gun shop isn't necessarily right. The length of the pull is a factor of weight of pull. The trigger is a lever. If S&W shortened the pull, they'd raise the weight. The mainspring in such a small gun is required to be heavy to work properly, as I outlined above. The same goes for the P3AT, the LCP, etc.

This is also why there is a long reset. You need to get that trigger all the way out to be able to "lever" back in. As far as the lawyers are concerned, I think it's a "happy coincidence". But it really is just a factor of the design working within the parameters of physics.

(Philadelphia County)

thanks everyone for the answers!