Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Wife asked to go shooting with me!

My wife the other day said she would go shooting with me as we need to take a day off from work for something in the morning and after we get done go to the range, well am shocked, she never showed intrest before and now out of the blue this. hey where to go and what to shoot that will just make her want to buy her own and shoot non stop with me.
    any others ever had this happen with thier spouse/ girlfriends?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Wife asked to go shooting with me!

Start with a 22 if you have one. Let her decide how much to shoot and when to shoot a larger caliber. This is all about her gaining confidence and being comfortable. Make it fun.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lawrence County)

My girlfriend used to make anti jokes to mess with me, then she said she never shot a gun before. First, she started with the .22 on some spinner targets. Next, it was on to the .410 shotgun, she wasn't impressed. Then she wanted to shoot the .357 and she liked .38s out of it, but not the .357 mags. So then I bought a 20 gauge and she really liked it, but it took her a few times shooting it to get used to the recoil. Finally, I had sold my .357 for a .45 m1911, and she fell in love with it. She loves shooting the 1911 and wants her own for carry, but something a little smaller, more like an Officer size in 9mm...

See what she likes and go from there. Start small, let her build up confidence, and then let her go willy nilly all she wants... Get that adrenalin pumping and you are almost 150% guaranteed a nice evening!

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Montgomery County)

My wife, who I've been with for over 11 years now, asked to go shooting with me about 3 months ago. I was floored. She wasn't really anti gun, just never cared to try it. At first she was unsure about shooting a rifle but once she found the noise wasn't bad and the recoil was nothing, she took to it pretty fast. We've been sticking to 22lr (rifle and pistol) and she is having a blast with them. I even put together a 10/22 for her to play with that has now become known as "her gun".
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    My wife the other day said she would go shooting with me as we need to take a day off from work for something in the morning and after we get done go to the range, well am shocked, she never showed intrest before and now out of the blue this. hey where to go and what to shoot that will just make her want to buy her own and shoot non stop with me.
    any others ever had this happen with thier spouse/ girlfriends?
    Has she been paying attention to the news at all?

I said before, during all the stuff happening in Katrina, my wife decided that we didn't have enough guns in the house.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveIam View Post
    My wife, who I've been with for over 11 years now, asked to go shooting with me about 3 months ago. I was floored. She wasn't really anti gun, just never cared to try it. At first she was unsure about shooting a rifle but once she found the noise wasn't bad and the recoil was nothing, she took to it pretty fast. We've been sticking to 22lr (rifle and pistol) and she is having a blast with them. I even put together a 10/22 for her to play with that has now become known as "her gun".
    Same story with different numbers. We have been married 27 years and last year she took an interest. I always asked her if she wanted to go shoot with me when I go to the range. One time last year she went and we shot an old 22 bolt action her father gave us from his hunting collection (he is 84 and no longer hunts) She was a natural and got excited when she put ten rounds in a paper plate with a 3" group on her first magazine. So for Christmas I got her a Ruger 10/22. Now we go together regularly.

(Beaver County)

My wife shoots with me nearly every time I go. She helped me build a range and she has her own guns. She also arranged for her BIL/sister to meet us and all four of us shoot clay birds together. That whole "chicks don't mess with guns" thing is pure bunk. You should make every effort to be attentive and enthusiastic about her shooting. Don't pressure her to shoot longer than she wants, don't be overbearing after the safety talk, and make sure it is fun! She'll want to shoot more and that means YOU shoot more. It doesn't get much better than that.

As far as which gun... without fail every new person I take to shoot loves shooting the Beretta 92fs. They are happy to try a wide range of guns, but they do best and go back to the 92fs the most. If you don't have one, go for a well balanced 9mm in a full sized model.

Good luck!
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

I keep asking mine and she says she cant until the baby stops nursing I guess she's right. She has shot with her father, as well as her BIL, so it's not foreign to her, hoping to go shooting with her down the road, would be nice to have another thing we can do together. Ive taken most of my older kids (11,9,6,6,4). My oldest is also now a Junior NRA member (was excited about her card with her name on it LOL).
    Hold the Line...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    My wife the other day said she would go shooting with me
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    My girlfriend . . . really liked it, . . . She loves shooting the 1911
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveIam View Post
    My wife . . . took to it pretty fast. . . . she is having a blast
    Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    She was a natural and got excited when she put ten rounds in a paper plate with a 3" group
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    My wife shoots with me nearly every time I go.
    I'm jealous as all get out, but good for you guys. Beyond the knowledge of how to aim and pull the trigger, my wife doesn't care much and is even (sort of) one of the "bad shit doesn't happen around here" types.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    . . . my wife decided that we didn't have enough guns in the house.
    If that happened to me I'd be checking the garden for pod people.

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    I keep asking mine and she says she cant until the baby stops nursing I guess she's right.
    Tell her it's a lot easier if she puts the baby down before she starts shooting.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast