Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Can my girlfriend carry my pistol

So I have a probably stupid question, but I was hoping somebody has some clarification and maybe some citation to help me out here. My girlfriend and I are both LTCF and reside in the same household. If we go out together, can we both carry handguns that I own (ergo, I own 2 guns, we both carry 1) and can she carry a handgun that I own without me around? Before I even entertain the idea, obviously I want it to be legal.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Can my girlfriend carry my pistol

Anyone can carry any legally owned handgun you wish, regardless of who owns it, so long as they can legally take possession of it. This would require them to be an in-state license holder so it can legally be lent to them, or the parent/grandparent/child/grandchild/spouse of the owner, which would allow for unlimited undocumented 'transfers'.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Northampton County)

I just re-read the statutes that were pertinent, and 18 Pa.C.S. § 6115 (b)(1)(i) states:
    The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).
    So everything is copacetic according to that, correct?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Anyone can carry any legally owned handgun you wish, regardless of who owns it, so long as they can legally take possession of it. This would require them to be an in-state license holder so it can legally be lent to them, or the parent/grandparent/child/grandchild/spouse of the owner, which would allow for unlimited undocumented 'transfers'.
    Whoops, we both posted at the same time. Yeah, she's licensed so she can legally take possession of it. That's a really strange statutory requirement; you can BUY as many handguns as you like, regardless of if you're licensed or not.

Why? as long as your not prohibited that's just fine.How about this, to openly carry a firearm you don't even need a LTCF.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Why? as long as your not prohibited that's just fine.How about this, to openly carry a firearm you don't even need a LTCF.
    So long as you walk everywhere you go and do not get in or on any vehicle including public transit. Very practical.

Very often what is legal is still a hassle not worth undertaking and/or is only going to come out as legal in your favor in court and not with a LEO encounter.

If she is going to carry this firearm full time a $20 transfer might save you allot of grief down the road.
    Last edited by QuackXP; August 22nd, 2011 at 10:00 PM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    If she is going to carry this firearm full time a $20 transfer might save you allot of grief down the road.
    Why? There is no time limit in the statute dealing with the loaning of a firearm. If something were to happen and the LEO checks it against the "registry" and it is in the boyfriends name, he just has to tell them he loaned it to her, which is perfectly legal.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Why? There is no time limit in the statute dealing with the loaning of a firearm. If something were to happen and the LEO checks it against the "registry" and it is in the boyfriends name, he just has to tell them he loaned it to her, which is perfectly legal.
    I understand where he's coming from. Some overzealous Barney Fife-type might hang us up because his lack of knowledge of the statute is superior to our actual knowledge, and arrest her (and perhaps both of us) at gunpoint.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by 9orangeletters View Post
    I understand where he's coming from. Some overzealous Barney Fife-type might hang us up because his lack of knowledge of the statute is superior to our actual knowledge, and arrest her (and perhaps both of us) at gunpoint.
    Even with all the I's dotted and all of T's crossed, you can still find a ego-fueled cop that can give you grief.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 9orangeletters View Post
    And if the false arrest happens, you hammer them in court so that they get the message and learn the law. If it happens several times, the Fife will either get canned or you will be awarded some money. The same goes for any overzealous LEO. And just because the gun is transferred to her and her name is in the "registry", that doesn't mean some egocentric policeman (or policewoman) won't over step their bounds and jack you around anyway.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast