Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Painted Rifle help

About two weeks ago I made a good find in a basement. 2 Model 1917 enfield's and a type 99 all original with sling. With the help of the forum I decided to get the enfield's checked over by a professional gunsmith. The one has a 93 stamped over the W in front of the stock and from what I can tell that means it went in for service. With further inspection i noticed the bolt is not a Winchester but everything else is. Now the second rifle is a mix and match rifle that was owned by a VFW who of all things decided to paint the rifle with black paint but the cool thing is it has a Winchester bolt. This is were I need your help! How do I remove the paint with out damaging the bluing underneath? They Painted the bands, receiver, Bolt and the tip of the barrel.

I heard that all Winchester rifles are worth more and are rear so I was going to have the gunsmith check the bolt to see it it will work with the first rifle but the paint is driving me nuts. Please help!!

Also what should I do with the second rifle leave it the way it is or get it restored? It is a mix and match rifle with parts from all 3 makers. I hate to restore rifles that have history behind them and I am at a loss on what to do.

Default Re: Painted Rifle help

I'm not sure, you could try some carb cleaner or paint thinner. Try it on a hidden part of the rifle to test color-fastness first though.

IMO, I'd leave them as is. Those paint bands on the 1917 were to distinguish it from its .303 brethern, leave them as they are part of the history of the rifle!

The 1917 are fine rifles, I love mine!

(Dauphin County)

dlk51

I collect British Enfield rifles, and after I get any milsurp I strip them down and give them a good cleaning. The Enfield below was being cleaned with Kroil on all metal parts and I almost had a heart attack when the paint started coming off. In the photo below rubbing alcohol is removing the paint from this South African marked Enfield rifle.

My point being the official British Enfield paint was called Suncorite and was almost bullet proof and was used to protect the exposed metal parts and nothing would touch it or make it come off. The Enfield above was just spray painted with a common enamel base base paint to give it protection.

Bottom line, you can clean your blued metal parts in acetone, paint thinner, lighter fluid, etc and it will not hurt the bluing. What you have to worry about is "WHY" were the parts painted to begin with. Was the old bluing worn off and the parts starting to rust? Do VFW members who drink copious amounts of beer and eat the salted nut on the bar have hands that sweat pure salt?

Remember bluing is nothing more than a blue colored form of rust and it takes a bluing chemical remover to take the bluing off. The cleaning chemicals I mentioned above will not hurt the bluing and I use them all the time. Also you will find mis-matched bolts on milsurp rifles all the time, all you need to do is check headspace and the locking lugs for contact area.

The blue is still blue and squeaky clean below.

Last edited by bigedp51; August 22nd, 2011 at 09:35 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Thank you for that advice. I went to store and bought some rubbing alcohol and started the cleaning process. The paint just started to peal off and the bluing underneath is perfect. I think they painted the rifle to make the blued parts on the gun stick out. I got it about 90% complete in just a few hours. I still am in total shock on how good the bluing is and the fact they painted it. I still have to get it checked out but for $30 bucks I think I made a good investment on this one. Yes this one was sold to me for $30 when i bought the other one because nothing matched and it was painted. Keeping my fingers crossed

(Allegheny County)

I've just used regular paint stripped you buy at the hardware store on these old drill rifles. They were painted for zero maintenance, More time for beer and peanuts. How are the bores? Most of the blanks are corrosive. By the way, Nice find! I love them old war horses!

(Allegheny County)

The bore looks to be very good I figure if I purchased this rifle the way it is now it would be somewhere around 450-550. I can not wait to finish getting rid of the paint but I'm taking my time on this one. It is a mix match rifle so all 3 makers are present. Winchester Stock, bolt and barrel, Remington Receiver and the rest is Eddeystone. The other one I bought with it is almost all Winchester except the bolt. That one I feel is a little more rear and I'm thinking of transferring the bolt.
    Last edited by dlk51; August 25th, 2011 at 09:36 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Well I finished about 99% of the paint removal and decided to post some pic's

Sorry I spent the money for a cam on the guns but I am saving again

Before pic's

After Pic's

Site is on order

Thank you for all your help all I have to do now is get it checked out and go shoot it
    Last edited by dlk51; August 25th, 2011 at 09:59 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Looking good Bro!

(Allegheny County)

Thank you

I have a few original parts coming to fix the site on this one and to replace a few screws on the other one. Then off to the gunsmith and pray for a thumbs up. After 50+ years sitting in a wet basement growing fungi I hope they are still good to go. I always wanted a 1903 because of the movie Sergeant York and when I found the U.S. 1917 Enfield was what he used in real life I about fell over. I can't wait until I pull the trigger on these gems.