Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Unhappy Military men read the article and see if you understand

Military men read the article and see if you understand. I don't why didn't this happen after WWI, WWII, Korea or Nam ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/us...Jf+YqZ9eMfxSzg

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Military men read the article and see if you understand

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    Military men read the article and see if you understand. I don't why didn't this happen after WWI, WWII, Korea or Nam ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/us...Jf+YqZ9eMfxSzg
    Sounds like someone planted this big story with the hopes that it will help bolster their ability to disarm vets that return to the US with PTSD, isn't there a bill in place to try and do that already....hmm...makes you wonder...the article certainly does not shine a very nice light on the people who are putting their lives on the line for our country.

The same is true about all the other wars, the main difference here is that the media is much larger and faster then it ever was.

During/ after the big war and Vietnam, there where many cases of Post war trauma, but people did not have such a vast amount of info, and when it happened, people had a tendency to say it was an isolated incident.

Just as when people claim this war is so brutal, 2000+ of our soldiers are dead, many more wounded… Believe it or not, that was one day in Vietnam; it was less then Pearl Harbor. But we see it so much faster now, almost as fast as it happens. Heck, we see bombings and news reports in real time, every one including you-tube has info on this war. So yes, it does seem we have more people doing more things now then before, but in reality, it is partly an illusion made by the Medias.

My wife said the other day, Marines are looking bad in the media these days, and pretty happy our son is in the Army… But aren’t the Marine always under the microscope?
    Again the media has an agenda here and they are running with it. If they can disgrace America’s finest men, then the rest will fall… How many young men hurt young women, how many of them go as far as killing them? But they have to show this latest case of Marines being murdered… Why say Marine at all, why not say disturbed young man… Because when they say Marine, it will hold the public attention for a much longer time.

Young men kill their girlfriends all the time in large cities, we have our share here in Pittsburgh and Philly, but that lasts a day or two at most, and does not attract country wide attention.

I look at this very much like the “Fire in the hole” event at drive thru stores. Had it not been national news, it would not happened nearly as often as it did, but seeing the news need to make money, a few people got disfigured by hot coffee or even acids then there might have been had it never been reported nationwide.

I rarely watch TV in the morning, but on the morning of 9/11 I was prompted to do so by people I chatted with regularly from England and Australia.. How was it they knew so fast? Well, pretty much the same way the rest of the world did, they watched it live on TV. Heck, we might have missed the first plane hitting the twin towers, but most of us saw the second hit in real time.
    15 to 20 years ago, people in other countries might have heard about it a day or two later, people in Florida would have heard it the next day. 40 to 60 years ago, people in other countries would have heard it a few weeks or more later, and people in Florida would have heard it from Tourists before they even knew of it on the news.

Every thing is faster now, and the impact on us is much worst then it was back then. Was a time, If your loved ones died at war, you might not know for months, now you almost know instantly.
    It’s a sigh of the times, we need / demand faster in every thing we have, even if accuracy and dependability is not always there.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Susquehanna County)

It must be me I knew about Post war trauma but don't recall many stories of returning soldiers killing people. The first story sounded like self defense to me. Maybe the government is pulling back on the medical for returning soldiers in this war. But I also know the soldiers in NAM saw the same atrocitys as these boys are seeing.

When my grandson gets home we'll have a beer and he can talk his head off somthing I didn't have as no one in my family had gone through it but my uncle and he was still there (Nam). And my bro's were to far away

Although the NICS act passed, it was only authorized.

It's not funded yet, and that's where GOA is with it. They're lobbying like hell not to get appropriations for it.

I suggest you, at least, sign up for their FREE email alerts if you don't want to join them yet. Become active with sending letters.

gunowners.org

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjl127 View Post
    Although the NICS act passed, it was only authorized.

It's not funded yet, and that's where GOA is with it. They're lobbying like hell not to get appropriations for it.

I suggest you, at least, sign up for their FREE email alerts if you don't want to join them yet. Become active with sending letters.

gunowners.org
    I just got the GOA email news letter regarding the NICS and this is a touchy issue because between the NRA, GOA and politicians I don't know who to believe.

The GOA hates NRA the NRA hates the GOA but in the end you have Ted Kennedy yelling he is thrilled the NICS Improvement Act passed.

My gut feeling since nobody is giving any true straight answers on this issue I believe the GOA has long been known to hate the NRA, the NRA are just as big of back stabbers as any well funded lobby usually becomes and did cut some underhanded back room deals to help the NICS through in exchange to other political manovering and Ted Kennedy is happy because it may not be the original draft he and McCarthy, Schummer and gang wanted through but he was happy enough because although this bill may not hurt the everyday person who has not served this country but it certainly looks like 140,000 men and women who served this country very well may suffer due to it.
    Last edited by CCinPA; January 13th, 2008 at 02:55 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Allegheny County)

Frenchy, not to de-rail, but do you read much?
    I have a book by James Gliek called "faster" that you might enjoy, it talks about the speed of life increasing over time, just like what you where posting. You can borrow it if you want. Its a good companion to the classic "future shock" by alvil toffler if you are fmailiar.

(Montgomery County)

I think it was not as big a problem in WWII. That is when you put the number of case's verses the number of men who served.

Years ago I read a story about WWII and Vietnam and how Vietnam had a higher percent of Stress related troops. They claimed two reasons that made sense to me.

The average age of the WWII troops was a lot older. They had a lot of older father-figure types in their ranks.
    And they took long slow boat trips home. That gave them more time to adjust. Now we fly them home. When I left Vietnam I saw combat in the morning and by the evening of the next day my family came to see me at the hospital. Today we see on the news troops landing and their families waiting on the tarmac. Same day, battle to home. And they are left to adjust on their own.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    I think it was not as big a problem in WWII. That is when you put the number of case's verses the number of men who served.

Years ago I read a story about WWII and Vietnam and how Vietnam had a higher percent of Stress related troops. They claimed two reasons that made sense to me.

The average age of the WWII troops was a lot older. They had a lot of older father-figure types in their ranks.
    And they took long slow boat trips home. That gave them more time to adjust. Now we fly them home. When I left Vietnam I saw combat in the morning and by the evening of the next day my family came to see me at the hospital. Today we see on the news troops landing and their families waiting on the tarmac. Same day, battle to home. And they are left to adjust on their own.
    Those all sound like plausible explanations, but one is missing-- WWII was a popular war and a victorious one, unlike Vietnam. I'm sure it helps to be welcomed home by the vast majority of people as a hero.

For the record, what we now call PTSD has been around for a long, long time. In my grandpa's day (WWII) it was called "shell shock", it was also called that or "neurasthenia" or "traumatic war disorder" back in my great-grandpa's war (WWI). In the Civil War it was known as "DaCosta's syndrome", "soldier's heart", "neurocirculatory asthenia", and "effort syndrome".

I think Frenchy nailed it on the head when he said it's not the prevalence of such disorders that have changed, but the popular awareness of them.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh