Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Range rage

(Northampton County)

Default Range rage

Sorry for the rant guys, but I need to get this off my chest. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Today my buddy and I were having a great time shooting over at steel city outdoor shooting range. That is until another member who passed by from the police range decided to tell me that I was not allowed to shoot from past the firing table. I was surprised by this because I have been a member for the past two years and everyone (including the range officer) has always seen (or have done it themselves) me walk up to the targets in order to get within 10-20 yard range. How am I expected to practice my self defense shooting from a table 50 yards away?

Anyway, I was accused of ruining the 4x4 wood posts or endangering myself from a ricochet. Now while I'm not a seasoned pro, I have pretty decent aim. Again, I must reiterate every member that has been at this range always walks closer to the target. When this happens, the rest of us stand behind the table with slides racked open, mags out and away from our weapons. There is much respect when the range area is being shared.

After I was told that I was being improper I asked the man who he was? I figured if your trying to correct me, I should know who you are. Basically, I wanted to find out if he was another range officer that I was unaware of. He stated that he was a member (like myself) and that I was wrong.

After he left I walked up to another member who was at the shooting range and asked his opinion. He said that my friend and I had done nothing wrong and from what he had seen, we had been practicing with total safety. We also noticed that nowhere on the pistol range or on my membership card where the rules are stated does it say that shooting must be done from the table. He said that the guy was just giving me some sh*t.

Honestly, this did put a damper on what was a pretty good shooting day.
    Last edited by Ruger Mike; January 13th, 2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar corrections
    NRA member
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Range rage

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger Mike View Post
    Sorry for the rant guys, but I need o get this off my chest. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Today my buddy and I were having a great time shooting over at steel city outdoor shooting range. That is until another member who passed by from the police range decided to tell me that I was not allowed to shoot from past the firing table. I was surprised by this because I have been a member for the past two years and everyone (including the range officer) has always seen (or have done it themselves) me walk up to the targets in order to get within 10-20 yard range. How am I expected to practice my self defense shooting from a table 50 yards away?

Anyway, I was accused of ruining the 4x4 wood posts or endangering myself from a ricochet. Now while I'm not a seasoned pro, I have pretty decent aim. Again, I must reiterate every member that has been at this range always walks closer to the target. When this happens, the rest of us stand behind the table with slides racked open, mags out and away from our weapons. There is much respect when the range area is being shared.

After I was told that I was being improper I asked the man who he was? I figured if your trying to correct me, I should know who you are. Basically, I wanted to find out if he was another range officer that I was unaware of. He stated that he was a member (like myself) and that I was wrong.

After he left I walked up to another member who was at the shooting range and asked his opinion. He said that my friend and I had done nothing wrong and from what he saw, we had been practicing with total safety. We also noticed that nowhere on the pistol range or on my membership card where the rules are stated does it say that shooting must be done from the table. He said that the guy was just giving me some sh*t.

Honestly, this did put a damper on what was a pretty good shooting day.
    Just one jackoff's opinion. I would contact the club or an officer and ask the OFFICIAL position from the club's standpoint. If they say you have to shoot from the benches, ask them the question about practicing defensive shooting. Get the info from the leadership of the club just not some random idiot that wanders by in his "I'm a LEO highhorse" and wants to flex his authoritah.

(Northampton County)

Just one jackoff's opinion. I would contact the club or an officer and ask the OFFICIAL position from the club's standpoint. If they say you have to shoot from the benches, ask them the question about practicing defensive shooting. Get the info from the leadership of the club just not some random idiot that wanders by in his "I'm a LEO highhorse" and wants to flex his authoritah.
    Thanks Montanya,

I'm actually planning on doing that. Usually the range is pretty laid back. Being fairly new to gunning (3 years now), I've made some mistakes. If rules or proper procedure are explained to me (like an adult, I'm 40 by the way), I am appreciative and do my best to follow them.

When I am doing something that everyone else does and the range officer as well as the guy who puts the boards up have never questioned me on. I get a little miffed when scolded by someone who thinks I'm a kid (I look young, its a curse. I've been confused with being in my mid to late 20's. No joke).

Again, thank you
    NRA member
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like just another moron with a mouth. Find out from the Range what the rule actually is and go from there.
    No signature required.

(Lebanon County)

Ask one of the club officials for a copy of the range rules. Highlight the parts that apply to you, keep the copy in your range bag. Simply produce the rules to kick the slats out from under any loudmouth.

(Luzerne County)

Dittos
    Verify with range owners and that's the end of it.

(Allegheny County)

When I belonged to ACRC (BTW- a good club) their big thing was not to put targets on the wooden supports but rather on the cardboard between them. One day there was a "SPECIAL NOTICE" put up in the rifle shooters area that basically accused everyone of being morons and how we were going to bankrupt the club by shooting the wooden target frames, which ranged from used telephone poles to furring strips.

Being rather piissed, I left enough cash in the members sign-up book to cover the cost of the freaking furring strips. They were expendables.......that should have been budgeted. And yes I did my share of grunt work of grounds keeping while there.
    INHO, Range Officer = God.
    Another members opinion/suggestion is just that. Maybe the best you can walk away with from this is he was thinking about your safety.

Like the other posters have said, find out what the OFFICIAL RULES are. Maybe it is time to get together at a club meeting and place some boards closer. I have shot at ranges with a similar situation. I was ALWAYS nervous with people behind me. I don't really trust anyone. I think it all stems from an incident at a PGC range back in the early nineties. They had built a booth for a range officer, and actually had him in there during operating hours. He called a "CLEAR" from his megaphone. I always wait and let others get down range first. After getting to about the ten yard line (I was shooting at 100), I heard a shot ring out from the pistol range to my right. That will get the underwear in a bunch, if not stained. Anyway, maybe you guys could get together and talk about adding some more practical pistol targets. Good luck.
    Jules

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by stimpy17 View Post
    One day there was a "SPECIAL NOTICE" put up in the rifle shooters area that basically accused everyone of being morons and how we were going to bankrupt the club by shooting the wooden target frames, which ranged from used telephone poles to furring strips.

Being rather piissed, I left enough cash in the members sign-up book to cover the cost of the freaking furring strips. They were expendables.......that should have been budgeted. And yes I did my share of grunt work of grounds keeping while there.
    At our club, they are not considered consumables. If there is a wooden target frame, the expectations is that you will hang something from it... and not ON it.. so as to not destroy the clubs property.

While you can not guarantee a miss will not hit the furring strips (ocasionally)... hanging a target directly on it will cause them to deteriorate at a faster rate than expected.

Occasionally, you will see evidence of someone pasting a "shoot n see" directly on the poles or on the wooden cross members... IMHO, this is misuse of the clubs property. Hang a Piece of Cardboard from it... At least try NOT to hit the crossmembers if at all possible.