Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default No registration numbers. Now what??

Buddy of mine was telling me about a pistol he got from an old man for doing some work for him. It was some kind of a police service pistol. From what he described, probaly a parade weapon.

It is silver, with pearl handgrips. It shows a ton of holster wear. He has been unable to find a serial # on it anywhere. He does know the make of pistol, I think it was Smith and Wesson but I'm not sure.

He was wondering where he could find some info on it? When it was made? Is it worth anything? Any secret place to look for a serial #? He doesn't want to get in trouble owning it. Is there anything he needs to do to legally own it?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: No registration numbers. Now what??

If it's a title one firearm it needs to be transfered through an FFL in order to comply with the law on transfers (§6111)
    The FFL will know where to find the ser# and record the # (or lack of) appropriately oon the paperwork.

As long as the serial wasn't removed (which would be obvious more than likely) which is bad juju (§6117)

If its an s and w, open the cyl and look to the left of the cyl on the frame that is now not hidden by the crane. Hope that helps. thats the only way i can think of describing it. Didn't they put them under the grips at one time? If is very old it may never have had a sn. I don't know when they started numbering.

Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by never_retreat View Post
    If its an s and w, open the cyl and look to the left of the cyl on the frame that is now not hidden by the crane. Hope that helps. thats the only way i can think of describing it. Didn't they put them under the grips at one time? If is very old it may never have had a sn. I don't know when they started numbering.
    Yep, they did that too.

All S&W I've seen ever from back in the 1800's had serial numbers. Either open on receiver, under the grips, or you have to swing out the cylinder to see them.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

Tell us for sure who made it and we'll most likely find a serial number.
    I have a Hopkins & Allen and a Iver Johnson made in the 1800's and if you look hard enough they got numbers hidden somewhere.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    If it's a title one firearm it needs to be transfered through an FFL in order to comply with the law on transfers (§6111)
    The FFL will know where to find the ser# and record the # (or lack of) appropriately oon the paperwork.

As long as the serial wasn't removed (which would be obvious more than likely) which is bad juju (§6117)
    I realize thats the law, but I still think any time you can have a firearm that the police/government don't know about, thats a good thing.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by tes151 View Post
    I realize thats the law, but I still think any time you can have a firearm that the police/government don't know about, thats a good thing.
    I agree, but only when done legally.

(Indiana County)

As the firearm's recipient, your friend is free and clear. Under the UFA, it this the giver/seller of the firearm that has the responsibility to effect the transfer through an FFL. That's what the law says. If the old man is now deceased, there's nobody left to prosecute - the "crime" died with him.

(Delaware County)

I have to second this statment by PA Patriot. Follow this and you'll have no worries about taking this firearm to any range or if you are licensed to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by tes151 View Post
    I agree, but only when done legally.
    Without a recorded transaction, there wouldn't be any way to establish when the gun was transferred. This would make any prosecution very difficult since ex post facto would apply before the enactment of the applicable law. There are plenty of legitimate circumstances why a person would be in possession of a ghost gun.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...html#post20266

Quote Originally Posted by crazy charlie View Post
    Tell us for sure who made it and we'll most likely find a serial number.
    I have a Hopkins & Allen and a Iver Johnson made in the 1800's and if you look hard enough they got numbers hidden somewhere.
    In which case the whole topic becomes moot, since guns made before January 1, 1899 aren't "firearms" in the eyes of the law no matter now they're configured or what they shoot (smokeless or black powder). Since a pre-1899 firearm an antique gun, it's plain old common property in the eyes of the law.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast