Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Question on filling the application for CCW

Hey Guys,

I have recently moved in to PA and don't have any local friends to put as references on the application for CCW (Carbon County). My question is, can I use my friends from NY as references for my application or they must be residents of PA?

Thanks to all!

Gene K

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Question on filling the application for CCW

Depends on the county. Mine wouldn't even get to the sheriff without in-county references.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rimini View Post
    Hey Guys,

I have recently moved in to PA and don't have any local friends to put as references on the application for CCW (Carbon County). My question is, can I use my friends from NY as references for my application or they must be residents of PA?

Thanks to all!

Gene K
    yep, sure can. if given any pressure by the office about needing a PA one, tell them you just moved here and don't know anyone. PA is a shall-issue state, and they cannot deny you a permit unless you're got a disqualifying reason (criminal, mental, etc.)

also, as someone else is just going to correct you anyways, I might as well say it - It's a LTCF (license to carry firearms) not a CCW, there is no such permit or license specifically for concealed carry, but the LTCF gives you that option legally.

(Luzerne County)

There is no stipulation in the law (§6109) that the references must be county or state references.
    The procedure and frm for licensing shal be uniform throughout the state per the above law.

However, as others have pointed out, some sheriffs offices are requiring (illegally) that the references be residents.

(Beaver County)

Beaver County's application stated that the references had to be Beaver County residents.

(Indiana County)

Doesn't matter what Beaver County says, or Carbon County says. What matters is what Section 6109 of Title 18 says and what the SP4-127 form says, which does not specify any residency requirements for references.

Once the application is submitted, the Sheriff has 45 days to issue or deny the license, and the Sheriff can only deny the license for those actions specified in the Uniform Firearms Act.

Use your New York references if that's all you have. If necessary, be assertive. If they balk,
    • Ask them what section of the Uniform Firearms Act requires references be county residents.
    • Ask what section of the Uniform Firearms Act authorizes the Sheriff to add additional restrictions not stated in the Uniform Firearms Act.
    • Ask for a refusal in writing.
    • Ask them if they have the telephone number and address of the Attorney General in Harrisburg.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Use your New York references if that's all you have. If necessary, be assertive. If they balk........[/LIST]
    ...and if that doesn't work, let me know, I'll give you my information to put as one reference. Couldn't tell them much more than I know you from a firearm association mind you, but they probably won't call anyway.

EDIT: and even if they did call, again, i've got nothing bad to say about your character or anything, and assuming you have no other criminal/mental reasons that would forbid it - they cannot deny you your LTCF.
    Last edited by thirtyonebravo; January 12th, 2008 at 11:56 PM. Reason: addition

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    ...[*]Ask them if they have the telephone number and address of the Attorney General in Harrisburg.[/LIST]
    And if they don't do things properly here's the number for the Criminal Law Division of the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General, as quoted in a letter to me after sending an email about the DELCO Sheriff's improper procedure.

Dear Mr. ******:

The Criminal Law Division of the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General is in receipt of your email of November 30, 2007. If you still desire to discuss your concerns regarding the Delaware County Sheriff's Office's procedures when issuing firearms licenses, you may contact us at (717) 783-9995 and speak to an attorney who may be able to offer some assistance to you.
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/support-s...tml#post175625

(Carbon County)

Guys, thank you all very much!

I appreciate all your feedback and especially offers to help out with references. I'll try to first use the references that I have and see how it plays out with my sheriff.

I'll post my progress on here later.

Gene K

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by rimini View Post
    ...I'll post my progress on here later.
    Any update?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast