Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first setup

(Lancaster County)

Default first setup

I'm new to the hunting world and am now in the market for a new setup. Was wondering what caliber do you recommend for Pa whitetail (.270, .308, etc.)? What would be a decent first rifle. I already own a AR-10T (.308), but obviously can't use it. However, would that be good caliber since I already feed it to my AR? By the way, I'm still hoping someone would be willing to take on a novice for first deer hunt Thanks in advance.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: first setup

Quote Originally Posted by 1:7twist View Post
    I'm new to the hunting world and am now in the market for a new setup. Was wondering what caliber do you recommend for Pa whitetail (.270, .308, etc.)? What would be a decent first rifle. I already own a AR-10T (.308), but obviously can't use it. However, would that be good caliber since I already feed it to my AR? By the way, I'm still hoping someone would be willing to take on a novice for first deer hunt Thanks in advance.
    Are the bullets you are shooting out of the ar-10t fmj? If so you can't hunt with them so sharing ammo with the two will not be a selling point since hunting bullets are more expensive. You have just opened the pandora's box with everyone telling you to get this cartridge or that one. I will narrow it down for you answer these questions and make your own decision.

1. are you hunting brush or fields

30-30, 35rem for brush, 308,30-06, 300mag for longer shots

2. Do you want to hunt bear, or elk later or in the same season you will need a caliber conducive to the the task.

3. what is your budget

4.lever or bolt, pump

Just remember 30-30, 270,35,7mm,308,30-06,300mag, and all the other calibers and the wsm's out there kill deer dead as a door nail. The question is what do you like, what do you want. I will give you one suggestion, always have a back up gun ready in case of a fall or a scope breaks. A sighted in open sight gun for this reason is needed plus in bad weather use this gun because more than one deer has been not taken because of a foggy scope. You can pick up cheap 30-30 for around $150 and with the new levorution ammo in the 30-30 is nasty. If you are looking for my opinion I use a 35rem in a 336 marlin great accuracy out to 100 yards with a 200 grain bullet just deadly on deer.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Lancaster County)

There are so many moving parts when it comes to learning this sport. I can say that I'm looking @ bolt guns, probably used and aroud $500. I have a bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x42 That has rainshield and all that. However, I would be guessing about the terrain. It all seems to be rolling hills and pasture land aroud here. I also have a aimpoint ml2 red dot sight that could work as well? By the way, what do people do w/bear? Just stuff em' or put in a stew
    Last edited by 1:7twist; August 18th, 2011 at 07:23 PM.

(Lehigh County)

There are so many moving parts when it comes to learning this sport. I can say that I'm looking @ bolt guns, probably used and aroud $500. I have a bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x42 That has rainshield and all that. However, I would be guessing about the terrain. It all seems to be rolling hills and pasture land aroud here. I also have a aimpoint ml2 red dot sight that could work as well? By the way, what do people do w/bear? Just stuff em' or put in a stew

In that case look around and try to find a older Rem 700 in (insert caliber here) they seem to shoot better than the new ones. The new ones are good but tou will have to free float the bbl. Take a thin piece of paper when looking at a gun and insert it between the bbl and the stock see if the paper will slide all the way down without getting stuck if it does you are good.

Bear question is both.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Monroe County)

30.06. you can hunt any big game in the US with it
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    30.06. you can hunt any big game in the US with it
    Any particular rifle? Remington, winchester, savage, TC, etc.

(Monroe County)

Any particular rifle? Remington, winchester, savage, TC, etc.
    Nope, as long as it shoots straight you'll be fine. Personally I like my Ruger, my dad uses a Remington 760 pump, brother uses a Remington 700, all of them will put 3 shots in 1 inch at 100 yards off a rest, 2 - 3 inches easily at 200+ yards...

As long as you don't get one that someone left out for a week in the rain you'll be fine, they all will shoot well enough to hunt in PA with. you aren't looking for a 1000 yard rifle, you need something you can beat on, take out in the snow for a week straight and it will still shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards when you are done.

You should have no problem getting a full rifle setup w/ glass for under 300 - 500 bucks. If you are spending more then that for a setup to shoot in the big woods of PA you aren't looking for a "first setup"
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Somerset County)

First off, you have a good scope. Probably a bit more top end than you need but it'll work. Now some good hard advice. When hunting, set it on one power ( I like 6x or so) and don't fool with it. If you play around with the power settting, sooner or later, you will have it on on 16x when a deer steps out at 15 yards and all you will see in the scope is a brown blur.

Now as to rifles. For the money, I would look first at a Marlin bolt action. Other options include the Howa 1500, Weatherby Vanguard, Stevens 200 or something used. Savage has the Axis, some folks are quite happy with it but I have no experience with it. A Tikka T3 may be in your $ realm and will be the best shooting, no fuss rifle straight out of the box. I have a Remington 700 we bought for my son 4 years ago, I doubt I'll buy another.

Best advice is to go to a gunshop and handle all the models. They will have a different feel, the safety will be different, the magazine will be different etc.
    Buy what feels good to you.

308 would be a good choice for all game found in Pa. and will work on most anything (big nasty grizzly/brown bears are the exception) found in North America. You will need to use a soft point/expanding type bullet (no FMJ as someone mentioned.)

There are plenty of good cartridges (anything from 24 caliber on up) but there are no flies on the 308. And it works in the brush or in the clear.

Dale

(York County)

IMO, I think the .308 is a perfect round for hunting. Like A-5 said
    are you hunting brush or fields
    . If your going to be hunting thick saplings or brush. You might want a 30-30, or even a slug gun. With open sights.
    I AM A PROFESSIONAL. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by coble View Post
    IMO, I think the .308 is a perfect round for hunting. Like A-5 said . If your going to be hunting thick saplings or brush. You might want a 30-30, or even a slug gun. With open sights.
    agreed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast