Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Fulton County)

Default Water Leak Leads To $1.6M Pot Discovery

http://www.wfsb.com/news/15025646/detail.html

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Firefighters answered a call for a leaky roof in New Haven on Wednesday and authorities discovered about $1.6 million worth of marijuana plants growing, police said.

State and New Haven police seized 331 marijuana plants from the second-floor apartment of a three-family house on Norton Street.

Authorities were called to the house when a woman who lives downstairs reported a leak.

"I got back from the Laundromat and there was water coming out of my light fixture. I knocked on the door and no one opened up, and then I called police," the woman said.

State and local police returned with a search warrant Thursday, knocking down the door to the apartment.

Channel 3 Eyewitness News reporter Hena Daniels reported police found a hydroponic marijuana grow system, which is a method of growing plants using mineral nutrient solutions instead of soil.

"Each one of these plants at maturity is estimated to value $5,000. That makes this seizure to be approximately $1.6 million total for mature plants. Also seized by the investigators are grow lamps, chemical scales, all types of paraphernalia that would be utilized in this type of operation," state police Lt. J. Paul Vance said.

Mario J. Pena, 29, of New Haven, was arrested and charged with possessing marijuana with intent to sell, illegal cultivation of marijuana and operating a drug factory, state police said. He was being held on $500,000 bond and was scheduled to appear in court Friday.

News of the homegrown drug factory spread fast in a neighborhood full of children, Daniels reported.

"You think it's nice and a safe, and you have activities like that going on, and I don't think people take that into their minds. This is so negative," said Regina Morris, a neighbor.

Also on Wednesday, in an unrelated case, police in New Haven found 45 marijuana plants worth about $72,000 at a house

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Water Leak Leads To $1.6M Pot Discovery

hmm... Leaky roof= call the police now? I thought it was the landlords job.. And you need a search warrant? By the time... never mind I am just confused now....

Very interesting read though, thanks

Ok nvm, firefighters saw the plants wednesday then police got a warrant and went back thursday. I think I got that right.
    Last edited by Longshot; January 12th, 2008 at 06:42 PM.

(Berks County)

QUOTE: "Each one of these plants at maturity is estimated to value $5,000. That makes this seizure to be approximately $1.6 million total for mature plants. Also seized by the investigators are grow lamps, chemical scales, all types of paraphernalia that would be utilized in this type of operation," state police Lt. J. Paul Vance said.

Are they worth anything before maturity? Hehehe. When I lived in Hawaii I knew of some guys who grew pot, and sometimes they couldn't wait until the plant reached maturity and would smoke the leaves. Although, they still would catch a buzz.

rand

(Allegheny County)

Who do I call when my window sticks? The local DA?

For some reason, the general public thinks they can call the police for anything. Which is nonsense.

Flava Flav said it best: "911 is a joke.:

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by stimpy17 View Post
    Who do I call when my window sticks? The local DA?

No, I think that falls under the jurisdiction of the local pizza place.

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Luzerne County)

Well believe it or not in my neck of the woods many locksmiths are pissed because the fire departments respond to lock outs. They have actually used their ladder trucks to enter second floor windows to gain entry for people.

I know if I had locked myself out of my home calling the fire department would not be the first thing on my mind.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)