Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Semi-Auto 5 For Deer

Does anyone know if you can use a Excel 5 12 Gauge with a slug for deer? Or does it have to strickly be a pump action.

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Semi-Auto 5 For Deer

It is my understanding that any Semi-auto for hunting purposes in PA is illegal.

(Lancaster County)

I've heard that any 12 gauge is ok for birds, turkey, fowl, etc. Just not sure about deer season.

(Wyoming County)

The answer about deer hunting is NO

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by DiabloFormula View Post
    I've heard that any 12 gauge is ok for birds, turkey, fowl, etc. Just not sure about deer season.
    I'm sure you could easily find the regulations on the game commission website.

(Lycoming County)

Semi-auto shotgun is fine for small game. However, the following is in the Big Game section of the Game Code:

§ 2322. Prohibited devices and methods

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title or commission regulation, no person shall hunt, kill or take or attempt, aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt, kill or take any big game, except wild turkey, with any of the following devices or methods:

(1) Any device other than a centerfire or muzzle-loading firearm or bow and arrow.

(2) Any automatic or semiautomatic firearm, except that any semiautomatic firearm modified to permit one shell in the chamber and no more than four shells in a magazine may be used by a person who suffered an amputation or lost the total use of one or both hands.
    (3) Any firearm propelling more than one projectile per discharge.

(4) Any projectile which is not all lead or which is not designed to expand on contact.

(5) When any big game is swimming.

(6) By any other method or device which is not specifically authorized or permitted by this title or commission regulation.

(b) Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

(c) Contraband.--Any big game killed contrary to this section is contraband.

Be safe (and manually operated).

Scott

(Lancaster County)

Thanks alot everyone for clearing that up.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by brightdrrkness View Post
    It is my understanding that any Semi-auto for hunting purposes in PA is illegal.
    Your understanding is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DiabloFormula View Post
    Semi-auto shotguns are legal multiple classifications of game. Don't rely on what you heard. Read the digest http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=968783&mode=2

Quote Originally Posted by capitolcop View Post
    The answer about deer hunting is NO
    This would be wrong also. While Semi-auto shotguns are generally not allowed for deer, there are some special regulation areas that allow it. Again, it's all in the digest. Page 55 for the Special regulation areas that allow semi-auto shotguns with slugs or buckshot.
    Last edited by bronco; August 18th, 2011 at 09:34 AM.

(Jefferson County)

You can in special regulation regions of the state, IE: shotgun only areas. The rest of the state is a negative. I think the 3 round capacity limit still applies, 2 in the mag, 1 in the chamber. No buckshot in WMU 2B, the other special reg areas buckshot and slug are legal.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 18th, 2011 at 09:39 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    Semi-auto shotgun is fine for small game. However, the following is in the Big Game section of the Game Code:

§ 2322. Prohibited devices and methods

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title or commission regulation, no person shall hunt, kill or take or attempt, aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt, kill or take any big game, except wild turkey, with any of the following devices or methods:

(1) Any device other than a centerfire or muzzle-loading firearm or bow and arrow.

(2) Any automatic or semiautomatic firearm, except that any semiautomatic firearm modified to permit one shell in the chamber and no more than four shells in a magazine may be used by a person who suffered an amputation or lost the total use of one or both hands.
    (3) Any firearm propelling more than one projectile per discharge.

(4) Any projectile which is not all lead or which is not designed to expand on contact.

(5) When any big game is swimming.

(6) By any other method or device which is not specifically authorized or permitted by this title or commission regulation.

(b) Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

(c) Contraband.--Any big game killed contrary to this section is contraband.

Be safe (and manually operated).

Scott
    So with the correct disability, one could use a BAR with a 4 round magazine? I just get a chuckle out of that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast