Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Used KelTec P3AT $170, yes or no?

I was trying to find a way to carry my Ruger P95 better. The belt holster would drag my pants down (and thats with a good stiff leather belt), and my body is V shaped (larger chest/shoulders, narrow waist/hips), so it would paint no matter how I tried to conceal carry. I was looking at an IWB holster when I realised, my beloved Ruger is a DAMN BIG GUN. So I started looking at a mouse gun as a backup/summer carry.

Im looking at a used Keltec P3at. Looks like it functions OK. Not sure if it is 1stgen or 2nd though. Trigger seemed smooth as did the slide and magazine release (I thinking it's broken-in LOL). Was looking at the Taurus for about $269, and Ruger for $299 (both 380 too), but at $170 am seriously thinking a mouse gun is a mouse gun, and for the $100+ difference, I can buy ammo, a pocket holster and maybe a laser for the Keltec.

Looking for feedback in helping me make a decision. Is $170 a good price? Would you do it/not do it, and why?
    Hold the Line...

(Berks County)

Default Re: Used KelTec P3AT $170, yes or no?

I just hopped over to BudsGunshop and took a look at the pricing for a new P3AT, which is $251.00 (Cash Discount). Based on that alone (I don't own a Kel-Tec) the price is pretty appealing as long as everything is in working order.

Would you be buying from a gun shop or private seller? I ask because you could potentially add in another ~$30 for the transfer from a private seller, which makes the price less appealing (although $200 still seems pretty good compared to Bud's new price). Does the Kel-Tec warranty transfer with ownership of the gun or is only extended to the person who bought it new?

If I had some money burning a hole in my pocket and I stumbled onto a P3AT at a gun shop for $170 with the transfer bundled into the total cost, I might just buy one, just because.

I would compare the price to what you would pay locally though. The last 2 guns I price checked at Bud's actually wound up being less at my local gun shop (Ruger LCP $290 at Bud's vs $270 locally and S&W Bodyguard $370 at Bud's vs $335 locally).

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    I was trying to find a way to carry my Ruger P95 better. The belt holster would drag my pants down (and thats with a good stiff leather belt), and my body is V shaped (larger chest/shoulders, narrow waist/hips), so it would paint no matter how I tried to conceal carry. I was looking at an IWB holster when I realised, my beloved Ruger is a DAMN BIG GUN. So I started looking at a mouse gun as a backup/summer carry.

Im looking at a used Keltec P3at. Looks like it functions OK. Not sure if it is 1stgen or 2nd though. Trigger seemed smooth as did the slide and magazine release (I thinking it's broken-in LOL). Was looking at the Taurus for about $269, and Ruger for $299 (both 380 too), but at $170 am seriously thinking a mouse gun is a mouse gun, and for the $100+ difference, I can buy ammo, a pocket holster and maybe a laser for the Keltec.

Looking for feedback in helping me make a decision. Is $170 a good price? Would you do it/not do it, and why?
    $170 is a good price and Kel-Tec will fix it, if needed, for free or send you parts. I have 2.

That said, I upgraded to an LCP for daily carry, although an obvious copy of the P3-AT, it is of much better quality all the way around. Handle both and I'm sure you'll agree.

All are accurate and reliable although my first KT broke a hammer spring early on after one round. The gun was rendered useless. KT sent new spring which I replaced and all is well but I'm still leery of carrying it.

Been carrying for 33 years, and like you, have been looking for the best carry gun. I have settled on the LCP with Buffalo Bore Lead Flat nose +P's. Easy to drop in a pocket with a Desantis Nemesis and you will forget it's there.

Although when going to a more flashmobish prone area, I do carry a KT P-11 12+1, which is easy to carry for a 9mm. Mine has a nice trigger job and it shoots great.

Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

Pistols are at local fun shop. PSP and tax is $15 extra.

I was able to look at/feel the Ruger, Taurus and Keltec. The Ruger felt beefy in my hand and two of my fingers hung off the end of the grip. The Taurus had a great grip (thinner) as well as a buffer on the bottom of the magazine that my two lower fingers could hold onto. The Keltec had an even thinner grip and the grip seemd a lil longer as only my pinky extended slightly past the magazine. Having fired other's 380's at the range, Id like to have firm grip on the pistol, so grip is a big thing for me.

The Ruger felt nicely made, the Taurus also felt nicely made, and came with a second magazine and a cell phone pouch. The Keltec only comes with one magazine and a trigger lock and manual and lil black plastic case.

Im torn a bit between the Taurus and the Keltec. The $100 difference has me leaning towards the Keltec.

No money burning in pocket, just would like a pocket pistol for "whenever".
    Hold the Line...

Buy the P3AT. I carry mine daily and have no problems with it. For $170 its worth it. You can always sell it in the classifieds if its not for you!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

The LCP is about 2 ounces heavier and seems beefed up in all the right places. You will not notice the weight. I carry rear pocket and it disappears.

Everything about it, including the springs seem to be of better quality.
    I love my KT's as I carried them before the LCP was available but that broken spring still haunts me. At least for daily carry. That failure was catastrophic and had I been in a "situation", I was done after one round.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Allegheny County)

get the one that appeals to you the most, any gun can break and the Rugers have had their share of recalls and failures!
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Bucks County)

A year ago i went into a gun shop to buy a LCP and totally against the KEL-TEC P3AT. I left with the KEL-TEC for $190 that was used but never fired. I told the shop owner i wanted a better deal on the LCP so he suggested the KEL-TEC and i said "no i hear that they have lot's of problems" he said "If you have any problems i will refund you your money and you can buy the LCP" Here i am a year later and have fired over 1000 rds threw it and have never had one failure with mine. Also i am glad i brought the cheapest lightest .380 considering not a day has gone buy that i have not had it in my pocket. Right now it is in there. I have dropped this gun, had it soaking wet from being stuck in the rain and it even has some pocket holster wear and still fires flawlessly. I beet it up day in and day out and it fires flawlessly every time. Even with the lint stuck in the trigger that falls out when i hit the range. So if i would have bought a KAHR that was way more i would be pissed that i drop it, scratch it, and get it soaking wet. That is why i would go with the KEL-TEC. By the way my other pistols are all SIG's.

I would certainly pick one up at that price.

(Chester County)

I carry a P3AT. It has goes bang every time I've pulled the trigger. It's not pleasant to shoot, but it is reliable. Been carrying it for 3 years now.

Kel-Tec's warranty is great too as is the customer service from what I've read.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast