Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Question OC carry on main line.

Alright, I did a search, and did not find what I was looking for. Really a two part question.

If you are familiar with the Main line in Radnor Township, you will know exactly what I'm talking about.

1. The main line here has places weir I would like to walk to while I carry, like Starbucks, or walk down to the WAWA, Manilas, or Subway. However just walking toward that direction puts me near two schools, Saint Katherine of Sienna private school, and Radnor Middle School.

Should I worry about that, cause I do not have an LTCF

2. Supposedly I was within the 1000 ft, its still summer, school is not in session, would it still matter, because this whole school zone BS is a "think of the children" argument.

Default Re: OC carry on main line.

Quote Originally Posted by coppery View Post
    Alright, I did a search, and did not find what I was looking for. Really a two part question.

If you are familiar with the Main line in Radnor Township, you will know exactly what I'm talking about.

1. The main line here has places weir I would like to walk to while I carry, like Starbucks, or walk down to the WAWA, Manilas, or Subway. However just walking toward that direction puts me near two schools, Saint Katherine of Sienna private school, and Radnor Middle School.

2. Supposedly I was within the 1000 ft, its still summer, school is not in session, would it still matter, because this whole school zone BS is a "think of the children" argument.
    Whether school is in session or not doesn't matter in the eyes of the Federal GFSZA imo. Get a LTCF and then you're exempt and you don't have to worry about it.

ETA: Nevermind, saw you're 19. You're young, the chances of you having your life f'ed up royally by cops who don't know the law or want to push the envelope with the GFSZA is far higher than the chances of needing your firearm in self defense imo. I would just not carry and wait until you're 21 to get your LTCF.

Here's the law if you're interested:
    http://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones_Act.pdf
    Last edited by zackattack784; August 16th, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa686 View Post
    I'll second that. It doesn't matter if carrying in your situation is technically legal. Any cop can cost you your gun and thousands of dollars in legal fees, at no cost to themselves, even if the stop is not technically legal.
    Especially when you're talking about a law which the OP openly admits to breaking. Couple that with the fact the law has been upheld in different Circuit Courts multiple times and you're looking at jail time and never being able to own firearms ever again. And that's not even counting the negative life consequences of living with a criminal record...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Especially when you're talking about a law which the OP openly admits to breaking. Couple that with the fact the law has been upheld in different Circuit Courts multiple times and you're looking at jail time and never being able to own firearms ever again. And that's not even counting the negative life consequences of living with a criminal record...
    I never implied to, or admitted to, or said I would or did break the law, nor do I want to take the chance to walk on the main line, which is what I asked; a simple question.

I have others paths to which I can be well outside the stupid 1000' buffer, and still be legal at the Subway, Manilas, which are both well outside said buffer, and I believe WaWa is as well. Sadly it would take twice the time, but worth it, more exerciser.

I never implied to, or admitted to, or said I would or did break the law, nor do I want to take the chance to walk on the main line, which is what I asked; a simple question.

I have others paths to which I can be well outside the stupid 1000' buffer, and still be legal at the Subway, Manilas, which are both well outside said buffer, and I believe WaWa is as well. Sadly it would take twice the time, but worth it, more exerciser.
    Perhaps you should pay more attention to the words you use then.

The word "was" implies you were within 1000ft of a school while carrying. It's past tense and it sounds like you already did it and found out after the fact what you did may be illegal. To clear up any ambiguity perhaps you should have wrote "Taking the quickest route would take me within 1000ft of a school...."

In any case, be careful OCing. I never did it under 21 because, imo the risks far outweighed the "rewards."

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Perhaps you should pay more attention to the words you use then.

The word "was" implies you were within 1000ft of a school while carrying. It's past tense and it sounds like you already did it and found out after the fact what you did may be illegal. To clear up any ambiguity perhaps you should have wrote "Taking the quickest route would take me within 1000ft of a school...."

In any case, be careful OCing. I never did it under 21 because, imo the risks far outweighed the "rewards."
    I used that statement as a scenario, not an actual event, unless my grammar might be off, and I should have used a different word besides 'was'.

Also, my purpose for this thread was not to talk about my different routes, just if the one on the mainline would be safe to do so. The fact the schools were their struck me yesterday when I was gonna OC my first day. I knew OC on the 'line' would not in my best interest, just wanted experienced conformation.

(Montgomery County)

Do not carry without a LTCF. It's not worth the risk. The chances of legal trouble are much greater than the chances of danger requiring the use of the firearm. One slip up now and you'll be permanently barred from getting a LTCF later on.

2 years is not a very long time... but it's plenty of time to get in a good amount of range time.

(Montgomery County)

True, I'll probably just stick to carrying around the apartment complex to get use to it. Either way, I turn 20 in November so its even less that two years

(Montgomery County)

True, I'll probably just stick to carrying around the apartment complex to get use to it. Either way, I turn 20 in November so its even less that two years
    That's a very good decision. Remember, one of the most important aspects of carrying a firearm is self restraint. Practice makes perfect.

I used that statement as a scenario, not an actual event, unless my grammar might be off, and I should have used a different word besides 'was'.

Also, my purpose for this thread was not to talk about my different routes, just if the one on the mainline would be safe to do so. The fact the schools were their struck me yesterday when I was gonna OC my first day. I knew OC on the 'line' would not in my best interest, just wanted experienced conformation.
    Ahhh, you want the word Suppose then .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast