Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Ranges/Clubs & Firing Line?

We're going to be moving into Lehigh County (Slatington) and are shopping around for a range/club nearby. Club wise we'd like a strong social Family type atmosphere ideally with pistol rifle and trap.

---------------------------------

We're also looking for an indoor pistol range for the colder months that is family/youth friendly as well which leads me to our next request......
    I've noticed a couple of you have gone to Firing Line and were hoping you would please answer a few questions

Do they offer membership/discounts?

Is it basicly the same guys working or do they have a lot of employees where the "rules" seemingly change with each shift? Basicly, Are you just another faceless custimer or is it a know you by name place... kinda like on Cheers where you walk in and they go "NORM!"

How many lanes do they have? Are they crowded weekends where you have to wait?

Do they have any unique rentals? Desert Eagle, or other .50 -anything like that

Are they friendly to Handgun caliber carbines?

Do they frown upon you shooting your own ammo or like you to buy their's?

Are their targets reasonably priced?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Archiver; April 9th, 2006 at 01:15 PM.
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Lehigh County)

---------------------------------

?.Do they offer membership/discounts?

3 months = $58 for single = $84 family
    6 months = $109 single = $129 family
    1 year = $189 single = $229 family

Handgun Rental $8.00 = 1hr.
    Range Rental $12.00 = 1hr. $9.00 = 1/2 hr

If you are LEO = half price of the above.

?.Is it basicly the same guys working or do they have a lot of employees where the "rules" seemingly change with each shift? Basicly, Are you just another faceless custimer or is it a know you by name place... kinda like on Cheers where you walk in and they go "NORM!"

Most of the time were Dough the owner's son and Ken(?) the manager
    They're straight forward type of guys, can be friendly and can also be nasty if some punks jerks around with firearms, I've seen them throw couple punks out the door. Overal, they're friendly type people.

?.How many lanes do they have? Are they crowded weekends where you have to wait?

They have about 20 lines (10 in each room, there are 2 rooms). They are crownded on weekends especially on afternoon time, but I haven't waited longer than 30-45min.

?.Do they have any unique rentals? Desert Eagle, or other .50 -anything like that

They have rentals but mostly Glocks, 1911's..... I'm not sure if they have any .50 though.

?. Are they friendly to Handgun caliber carbines?

As long as it's handguns.

?. Do they frown upon you shooting your own ammo or like you to buy their's?

If you rent their pistols, you're require to use their ammo (I believe it's apply on certain caliber but not too sure). Other than that, feel free to bring your own

?.Are their targets reasonably priced?

I think so, you can also bring your own targets if you want to.

Hope it help.
    Last edited by SeaRider; April 12th, 2006 at 05:48 AM.

(Carbon County)

Thanks SeaRider for providing a good indication that its a well run friendly environment! Great detail on the prices 2!
    Are the punks to which you refer part of the "sideways shooting" crowd from nearby Allentown or just the Redneck Type?
    Thanks!
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Lehigh County)

Your Welcome.

Pretty much about safety of gun handling and behavior, the one case that I've been witness was "gangsta side-way one hand" shooting, emptying a whole mag without hitting the target at 15', then jumping around with fouled languages(?) while sweeping his Glock accross the room with finger on the trigger, got warned by the ranger(manager) once and got kick out (all four guys) on the second, there's no "three strikes- you out" apply there.

Hope to see you there some day.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Ranges/Clubs & Firing Line?

I live just outside of Slatington, I'm a member of Ontelaunee Rod and Gun Club. It's in New Tripoli, about 10 minutes from Slatington. They have a 50, 100, 200 and 300 yard covered rifle range, 2 3D archery ranges, an indoor pistol/archery range, several trap ranges and a nice pond to fish in. Their website is www.ontelaunee.org, pm me for more information. I couldn't tell you much about their rentals, but it's a great family environment and there's always something going on there. Dues are $20/year and well worth it. Good luck, hope to see you there!
    Matt
    Last edited by Matt67C10; February 5th, 2007 at 05:24 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Ditto on Ontelaunee! I am a life member and it is an incredible range set up. The nice about this club is the members have had the foresight to purchase lots of land surrounding it, so the chances of future housing developments and complaints of those residents has been eliminated.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt67C10 View Post
    indoor pistol/archery range,
    Matt and Bill,
    Please tell me more about the indoor pistol range. I have been looking for a club with an indoor range and have since bought a 1 year membership at The Firing Line. However I am still looking for a club to use the outdoor facilities and to get one with an indoor range would be awesome. I thought Guthsville was going to be my choice, but after talking with the president I found out that their indoor range is for organized events only.
    Is Ontelaunee’s indoor range open for general use by it’s members? Or is it only used during IDPA and the like practices and other scheduled club events?? Looking at the schedule of events, there appears to be a load of sanctioned events and associated practices. Does that leave any time for members to just come and shoot?

Another question, what is their policy on guests? Can I bring an out of town guest or two into the facility as a member?

Thanks much,
    JD

(Lehigh County)

I'm not sure what the regulations are regarding the indoor pistol range; I shoot there on Friday nights in an archery league, but I'll find out for you. If I can convince the wife I need a pistol, I'll be there often.

(Northampton County)

I am looking forward to the info you find out. I have been seriously considering Blue Mountain Fish And Game. It is closer but it sounds like Ontelaunee’s facilities may be better.

Thanks again,
    JD

(Philadelphia County)

Last edited by vinterkald; December 19th, 2007 at 04:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast