Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Unhappy BSA CatsEye 3X10-44 rolling crosshairs

When inspecting my win 70 win light 207win yesterday I noticed when I would adjust the magnification on the cats eye scope if I got to 3X or 10X the adjustment would move a little bit and the cross hairs would rotate. I emailed the company they stated if over a year send out of warranty send 10.00 for shipping back and 20.00 for repair maybe more. anyone else run into this. I also have a BSA hunter fixed 4X on my 870 shotgun combo but it has no adjustments so hopefully more durable. On a side note this error in scope was a listed FAQ on there website so I am not the only one this happened to.
    Andrew S. DeCecco

Default Re: BSA CatsEye 3X10-44 rolling crosshairs

One of my friends has several BSA scopes on some of his light varmint rifles. I have never personally witnessed this problem. I've never really considered putting a "cheap" scope on a harder recoiling rifle. On a .22, .17, 22-250 no problem, but on a rifle like say a .270 or up, you might have some problems with this. I'm sorry to hear that you had problems with your rifle scope. If they ask you to send more than $20 to repair the scope, I'd just have them send it back to me. You probably didn't pay a ton of money for this scope, and then you're already paying almost half of that for them just to fix it and end up with the same scope. Best of luck to you

(Allegheny County)

Yeah I second the comment about good glass. If it's worth fixing that scope then do it. But investing in decent optics is a longterm benefit. I have a Redfield scope frome forever ago. Even after they went out of business I was able to have it sericed for free (including shipping). In my opinion, glass should usually equal about $1.5 per the price of the rifle.

(Jefferson County)

From what I've read about the Catseye scopes - they are pretty much a waste of money unless you reserve them to something that has the recoil of a 223 or less.

They are built on the the cheap side of cheap.

I know people dont like hearing that, but its true. If budget is a criteria, the Bushnell Banner scopes will perform better and last longer for about the same $$$.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

I thought all BSA's were made in China. Do the Chinese make a decent scope? This is a serious question, not bashing. I thought any decent scope was made in Germany, Japan, or USA.

(Luzerne County)

BSA scopes in general are low dollar, low quality scopes. "You get what you pay for" applies here as well. I had a few, none failed me but all were OK at best. Their Contendor/Target line as well as their Tactical line seems to be a bit better but they also cost considerably more than their low end stuff.

If I was buying (even a cheap scope) again I would skip BSA and start with a Bushnell and go up from there.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

I agree with you Holleta, they are by far usually what you pay for. My buddy wade has one of their tactical models on his .22-250 AI and it has NEVER failed him yet. He has some very expensive scopes, but for some reason he will not take that BSA off of that rifle. I have zeroed that rifle for him before and ran it through the box test and it is always repeatable and will hold zero. I've personally made hits at 500 with that rifle. Not the best or clearest optics, but there is worse. I agree with you, if you're going to start on a "cheaper" scope, bushnell and Nikon buckmasters are pretty good glass for the money.

Just some food for thought. Some of you who would like "cheap" scopes should maybe consider buying used. You can run across some pretty good scopes that are used if you are just willing to wait and not impulse buy because you need something on a rifle. I've seen really nice Leupolds for $200 and they still had their warranty. Anyway, it's just something that some people should consider.