Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default S&W J Frame grip question

I have a S&W Model 36-7 J Frame revolver. The grips on it now are like the ones here: http://dynamicarmament.com/images/sm...SW161490FC.jpg

They're ok but my 3rd finger barely fits on the grip and my "pinky" finger doesn't even fit at all and i kind of just tuck it underneath the grips.

I bought a set of grips like these: http://www.snubnose.info/images/Model_36_flat_latch.jpg

I like that I can get a higher hold on these (my middle finger is right up against the frame and behind the trigger guard) but the grips themselves are too skinny and I don't get a comfortable grip on them, like they need more front to back thickness.

I also have a Hogue rubber grip which is really nice feeling, but is too large for CC.

Does anyone make a grip similar to the 1st grips listed that has some girth to it, but also allows me to get a higher grip like the 2nd grips? That seems like it would be perfect for me.
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; August 11th, 2011 at 04:51 PM.

Default Re: S&W J Frame grip question

i have pachmayr grips on mine, with finger cut outs, and pinky fits on there. I'll go look at the box and get a pic for ya in a few minutes

the black grips are Pachmayr - Smith and Wesson J Round Butt

compare

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/o...smithwesson36/

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon18wheeler View Post
    the black grips are Pachmayr - Smith and Wesson J Round Butt

compare

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/o...smithwesson36/
    the problem is that they look huge. I am looking for grips for concealed carry. If it wasn't for that, I would just use the Hogues, which are very much like the rubber Pachmayer's you have there.

(Franklin County)

What Hogue do you have? I ask because Hogue makes two different rubber grips. I have the Hogue Ultra Compact Bantam. I cant see how you would say the Bantam is too large for CC because its about the shortest most compact rubber grip made. Matter of fact I removed a S&W rubber grip (very similar to the Pachmyer)and installed the Hogue because the S&W was a bit longer than I wanted (the S&W grip is for sale in the classifieds). I dont think you will get your pinky on the Bantam though.
    If you like the thin wood grips but just want more meat on them, you could look at a Tyler T grip.
    Last edited by ray h; August 11th, 2011 at 08:03 PM.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    What Hogue do you have? I ask because Hogue makes two different rubber grips. I have the Hogue Ultra Compact Bantam. I cant see how you would say the Bantam is too large for CC because its about the shortest most compact rubber grip made. Matter of fact I removed a S&W rubber grip (very similar to the Pachmyer)and installed the Hogue because the S&W was a bit longer than I wanted (the S&W grip is for sale in the classifieds). I dont think you will get your pinky on the Bantam though.
    If you like the thin wood grips but just want more meat on them, you could look at a Tyler T grip.
    I have the Hogue Monogrip.

I've looked at the T Grips before but they would just pose the same issue I have with the original grips, I can't get my hand up high enough.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    I have the Hogue Monogrip.

I've looked at the T Grips before but they would just pose the same issue I have with the original grips, I can't get my hand up high enough.
    The monogrip is a long grip (similar to the Pachmyer above). I would suggest the Bantam because it is quite a bit shorter. I find it very comfortable but theres certainly no room for the pinky and it wont allow a high grip position.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    The monogrip is a long grip (similar to the Pachmyer above). I would suggest the Bantam because it is quite a bit shorter. I find it very comfortable but theres certainly no room for the pinky and it wont allow a high grip position.
    and the higher grip position is what I am looking for. I can't seem to find any grips that allow that except for those slim factory style grips.

Here is what I mean: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54482326@N02/6033996312/
    Remove the area that is circled and I think it would be what I am looking for.
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; August 11th, 2011 at 08:28 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Pachmyrs. (I think they're called the Compac model... Maybe.)

And Houge Bantam lightweight monogrip;

Edit; Ohhhhh, I see... Derrr.

Maybe try cutting up a cheap set of rubber Hogues.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Elk County)

Gunslinger:

I have what might just work for you:

The color is realistic in bright light, but the grips appear more like black when the light is dimmer.

Fitted to a Model 60:

In my hand; with my little finger on the grip's "pinkie perch:"

Pinkie unfolded to show the "perch:"

They are Badger laminated micarta "Oversize Finger Groove" J-Frame combat grips. Regularly $79 plus shipping at this site:

http://www.grips4guns.com/revolver/s...m_1711006.html

or directly from Badger:

http://www.badgercustomgrips.com/smi...rips.php?pid=1

The grips have more of a fill than you are looking for, but the pinkie perch makes up for it and provides a MUCH more stable grasp of a J-Frame than a two-finger boot-style grip. I have these in brown/tan on two of my remaining J-Frames, and the Model 60 pictured normally wears CT laser grips. I replaced the CT set with the Badgers so that you would have an idea of what they looked like installed.

This grip set is NEW, never been on a revolver for carry. I have too many grips and not enough J-Frame revolvers, and I'll sell you these for $48 shipped. PM me if interested.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; August 11th, 2011 at 09:31 PM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast