Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: LTCF renewal

(Chester County)

Default LTCF renewal

I am waiting for my LTCF to come in. I went to the chester country sheriff and did all the stuff. $20 bucks.

I have a FL license as well.

What is the law that states the grace period for the renewal. I asked the deputy and he said it did exist but it was a grey area. I still have time before I expire and I do have a current Fl so I am covered.

Just curious.

Thanks

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: LTCF renewal

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/788...f-renewal.html

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    You should get a renewal notice in the mail unless you've moved and didn't notify the Sheriff's office. (You aren't required by law to notify of an address change, but that should get your renewal application sent to you).
    If you don't get an application in the mail just go to the Sheriff's office a few weeks to a month before your expiration date.
    I just renewed mine a few months ago and it took about 2 weeks (Lebanon County). You've got time.
    On another note, you're still good for 6 months after expiration.
    If you renew early you'll be cheating yourself out of a little bit of time, maybe a few weeks or a month or two. Whatever time frame it is is no big deal, but you don't need to rush, just don't forget.
    I wouldn't deliberately wait and take advantage of the 6 month clause but I wouldn't start the renewal process more than a month before expiration.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    But with the 6 month grace period you're covered even if your sheriff is slower than moles asses in January.
    On the other hand, can anyone be sure that their local LEO are aware and will honor the 6 month leeway?
    I gave myself about two months and had my replacement in about 2 weeks.
    As I said in my first post, if you renew early you could be cheating yourself out of a little bit of time. In reality we're talking about a few weeks on a 5 year license. I've renewed early every time and not been sorry about it. The little bit of time is a small price to pay for the peace of mind of knowing that you're good to go.

If you do some quick math on it you'll find that a $25.00 license that's good for 5 years is less than 10¢ per week. Git er done a few weeks early and rest easy, or if you miss the "deadline" by a little bit it ain't no BFD.

Plus your good with the Florida, I know what you mean though with being a resident and having an out of state ccw. Just could cause headaches
    If your using that have a print out of the reciprocity agreements between the PA atn general and the fl atn general

(Bucks County)

Nothing gray about it.

18 PA ss 6106 (12)

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license
    (a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

{snip}

(12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

(Chester County)

Thank you very much. That is what I was looking for. I didnt bring up the subject he did. Then I reply that there was a grace period. He then replied that it was a grey area.

I have learned a loooooong time ago NOT to ask LEO's questions about Law. They just dont know.

The exception I have found is steve from PA on this sight. He knows his stuff.

Thanks Lougotzz

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lougotzz View Post
    ...Then I reply that there was a grace period. He then replied that it was a grey area...
    My guess is that it is a "gray area" to him because he doesn't know the statute and didn't want to show his ignorance - "gray area" being the wave-off.

The whole issue of the 6-month grace period would, more than likely, end up being determined by a judge (particularly in Filthydelpia) since an arresting LEO would probably not be aware of it either - he'd simply see an expired LTCF, put the cuffs on and let the court(s) decide...

If it were me and my PA LTCF had expired within the past 6 months AND I had a FL CCW, I probably wouldn't even show the PA ticket and just go with FL. Most everywhere else in the state (not Philly) it would probably be accepted as good.
    Last edited by Kurt_D; August 12th, 2011 at 11:45 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lougotzz View Post
    Thank you very much. That is what I was looking for. I didnt bring up the subject he did. Then I reply that there was a grace period. He then replied that it was a grey area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_D View Post
    My guess is that it is a "gray area" to him because he doesn't know the statute and didn't want to show his ignorance - "gray area" being the wave-off.
    No, make no mistake, it is a gray area.

Effectively, that subsection makes it ILLEGAL to carry as such without a license, however (12) is an affirmative defense against prosecution.

Make no mistake that it is, technically, illegal, however it is not a prosecutable offense. As such, it follows the pattern of other such firearm-related gray areas as the Hughes Amendment to the 1986 FOPA -- this amendment made it illegal for citizens to own machineguns, with previously legal ownership prior to 1986 being an affirmative defense against prosecution.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by HSR47 View Post
    No, make no mistake, it is a gray area.

Effectively, that subsection makes it ILLEGAL to carry as such without a license, however (12) is an affirmative defense against prosecution.

Make no mistake that it is, technically, illegal, however it is not a prosecutable offense. As such, it follows the pattern of other such firearm-related gray areas as the Hughes Amendment to the 1986 FOPA -- this amendment made it illegal for citizens to own machineguns, with previously legal ownership prior to 1986 being an affirmative defense against prosecution.
    It is not a grey area...
    It is always illegal to carry concealed, in a vehicle, during a state of declared emergency, in Philadephia with the license being an exception. The 6 month grace period is the same exception as having a LTCF. Neither is more of an exception than the other.
    Carrying with 6 months of expiration is the same as carrying with a LTCF AFIAK.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    It is not a grey area...
    It is always illegal to carry concealed, in a vehicle, during a state of declared emergency, in Philadephia with the license being an exception. The 6 month grace period is the same exception as having a LTCF. Neither is more of an exception than the other.
    Yup. I agree.

Its an exemption. The exemption nullifies the DA's power to prosecute - there is no crime. An affirmative defense is an argument made to the courts.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    It is not a grey area...
    Regardless of how you choose to look at it, it is a legal gray area brought on by poorly written, and ultimately unconstitutional, legislation.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by HSR47 View Post
    Regardless of how you choose to look at it, it is a legal gray area brought on by poorly written, and ultimately unconstitutional, legislation.
    Uhh.... It's pretty clear in it's wording. The Pa UFA is pretty well written and pretty specific. At least in my opinion. There's no little room for error.