Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default A gun for my wife

the title doesnt mean a trade, even though I would consider it at times.
    She dont shoot much. She is reasonably new at handguns. What would be a few good selections to try for her as a carry weapon (with training of course). Would a glock be the way to go or maybe revolver, and what are your experiences in this "wife/gun/inexperienced" thing.

(Chester County)

Default Re: A gun for my wife

I'd recommend a revolver. Perhaps in .38special? Even a .22 is better than nothing.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...7_757751_image

http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selecto...=SF2&toggle=tr

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

EDIT:: I forgot to add.... Let her choose! She will pick what feels comfortable. Have her try as many as possible to get a feel for different sizes, weights, recoils, etc...
    Μολὼν λάβε

having taught several women to shoot, I think there are two factors to which gun the ladies like. The first factor is the fit and the second is whether they like the gun or not.

In a generality, Walthers seem to fit women's hands like they were made for them. The PPS or the P99 compact or the PPQ seem to be well liked for their grip profiles by most of the ladies that I know who shoot well. Likewise for the HK P30 series and the P2000 series. Quite a few people seem to recommend S&W J frames. A J-frame is definitely not a first gun. Its really hard to hit something with a short barreled J-frame even for experienced shooters. Yes, they fit well, but people get discouraged when they discover how hard it is to learn on.

Here is my biggest pointer though. Remember that it will be HER gun, SHE has to like it, shoot it and trust it. It could be the ugliest, nastiest POS gun in your eyes, but if its the one for her...
    Last edited by SCBaldr; August 8th, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(York County)

Take her into a gun store and let her hold basically every handgun they have. Let her figure out what guns are comfortable for her to hold, what guns are too big, too small, to fat, to skinny, etc. Once you have a good idea of the guns she likes, ask those you know who have any of those guns she likes to meet the two of you at the range, and allow her to shoot the guns to try them.

I'm female and HATE revolvers. Can't find one that fits comfortably in my hands, and quite frankly, I think the only thing revolvers are good for is to throw at someone.

I'd second the recommendation of checking out Walthers, but then again, I'm partial to them since I collect Walther PP and PPK's.

If your wife would like to shoot a Walther PP or PPK, a few different CZ's, and/or a 1911, you can send me a PM. If you have a range out there, mp517prct and I can head out there, or if you don't, and don't mind driving to York County (oh, the horror!), you two can join us at the range out here.

SCBaldr's post is right on all counts, especially the "it's her gun." Your wife will need to make up her mind about the gun because it will be her gun, not yours.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    having taught several women to shoot, I think there are two factors to which gun the ladies like. The first factor is the fit and the second is whether they like the gun or not.

In a generality, Walthers seem to fit women's hands like they were made for them. The PPS or the P99 compact or the PPQ seem to be well liked for their grip profiles by most of the ladies that I know who shoot well. Likewise for the HK P30 series and the P2000 series. Quite a few people seem to recommend S&W J frames. A J-frame is definitely not a first gun. Its really hard to hit something with a short barreled J-frame even for experienced shooters. Yes, they fit well, but people get discouraged when they discover how hard it is to learn on.

Here is my biggest pointer though. Remember that it will be HER gun, SHE has to like it, shoot it and trust it. It could be the ugliest, nastiest POS gun in your eyes, but if its the one for her...
    I second the Walther - purchased one for my girlfriend and she absolutely loves it.

(Northumberland County)

my GF prefers a gun wihtout any kind of safeties and whatnot. she shot a bunch of different hand guns and settled on an lcp, her choice. i wanted to get her a .45 as she can handle most pistols, hell she even shoots my mosins, but she wanted something that was simple and small. No safeties to fumble with as she didn't want to carry it with one in the chamber so she chose an LCP( i know people will flame but atleast she carries one, even without one in the chamber). i wanted to get her a glock 26 but she wanted something smaller. as she stated at the gun store,"IF i need to use it i don't want to have to check and see if the safety is off or on, if its decocked when in a stressful situation". good luck and let her decide what she is capable of handling and able to control. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MicroMonkey View Post
    the title doesnt mean a trade, even though I would consider it at times.
    She dont shoot much. She is reasonably new at handguns. What would be a few good selections to try for her as a carry weapon (with training of course). Would a glock be the way to go or maybe revolver, and what are your experiences in this "wife/gun/inexperienced" thing.
    my wife was very anti-gun until a shooting in the area and a bullet hit our car. She now has gotten a carry permit. her first gun was a 38 special by eaa s&w 38 syle. I would reccomend the standard 38 as well as the glock 19 or 26 and the springfield 9mm xd. they seem to be really popular with the ladies. There is a tendancy for some to lean to .380, but it seems they have more of a kick and the ammo is more expensive.

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

I have a Glock 23 (.40 SW) with the Pearce Lip installed. My wife loves it. She said when she does decide to get a gun she will be getting a Glock.

I think the little extra grip that the lip provides makes the recoil much more manageable and the gun is easier to hold to.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Tioga County)

The recommendation many have already made is to let her decide. My wife wanted a gun for a while and we started going to gun shows. They are better than most gun shops, in that the selection is huge and she can handle many different guns all in one place. If she finds something she likes, then you can shop for price without driving around. We did exactly that and my wife purchased a S&W M&P9c. She liked the idea of the interchangable palm swells and wanted 9mm. She was also sensitive to the recoil spring and the ease of racking the slide, which she can handle well.

Since she got her Smith, she's fallen in love with a Sig P238. Light, small, easy to shoot, easy to conceal. Probably wind up with one of those, too.

--Phil

(Monroe County)

Like others have said, let her choose. Feel is important and you can't do that for her. Also firing, trigger pull, all that jazz has to be done by her. Ex: My first pistol was a SW9VE, it felt great in my hand but when I shot it it pinched my finger. I HATED IT and would do anything to avoid even picking it up.

After all this time handling different pistols, it would surprise you what fits best in my hand and has less recoil then others. A 1911 seems to fit well for me. The recoil is less then my G27 and I have a better grip. The most important thing here is, it's going to be hers, an extension of her, not a second gun for you. Some guys forget that and in turn make the woman they so wanted to carry and defend themselves hate everything and anything to do with that gun and that guy.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast