Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default It's time to buy a bow

The time has finally come. I was going to buy a new firearm but I think I'm going to buy a compound bow instead. The ones I was mainly looking at are the Bear Archery bows. I want something that I can start on and won't outgrow right away. Here comes the questions:

1. Is this a decent time to buy a bow or should I wait until the season is over? I know stuff is usually a little cheaper when the season is over but will it be that much cheaper. I probably won't hunt this season with it even if I did get it now but I would like to get the practice in for next season.

2. What do yinz think about Bear bows?

3. I was probably just going to get a ready-to-hunt package instead of buying everything seperate. The two I was looking at were the Charge($400) and the Strike($500). Which one do you think I should get?

Charge:
    http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/b...mpound/charge/

Strike:
    http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/b...mpound/strike/

(Berks County)

Default Re: It's time to buy a bow

Larry, how old are you? When you say outgrow it leads me to believe your younger and are afraid the bow won't fit in a few seasons? Is that the case?

Do you know what your draw length is? That could help us out a bit, if your not sure there are easy ways to get a ball park figure.

I'd suggest going to an Archery dealer and trying out a bunch of bows. Each one is different and some just fit better then others. I shoot a Diamond The Rock, and my wife shoots a Dimaond Razors Edge. Both are great bows for the money. Each can be had in your price range.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Larry, how old are you? When you say outgrow it leads me to believe your younger and are afraid the bow won't fit in a few seasons? Is that the case?

Do you know what your draw length is? That could help us out a bit, if your not sure there are easy ways to get a ball park figure.

I'd suggest going to an Archery dealer and trying out a bunch of bows. Each one is different and some just fit better then others. I shoot a Diamond The Rock, and my wife shoots a Dimaond Razors Edge. Both are great bows for the money. Each can be had in your price range.
    No that's not the case. When I say outgrow I mean that I'm willing to spend some extra money on something decent instead of something cheap just to learn on. I don't know what my draw length is or anything I'll have to get measured up.

(York County)

my first bow was a $250 hoyt (raider 305 ibo) package i bought from dicks. sites,rest arrows everything. didnt want to spend a lot cause i wasnt sure if archery was my thing. you dont have to spend a lot to get started.that bow got me hooked and i killed 9 deer with it. i have sinced moved up the bow ladder, but my point is buy what you can afford now just to started. i believe bear is part of the north american archery group,you can look them up for info on the company. i have found after a certain price point they are all the same, it just comes down to which one fits you the best. good luck and i hope ya get one soon

(Allegheny County)

I don't know if the Strike is worth the extra $100 and I also don't know if I should get the ready-to-hunt package or not? Bow hunters, what do you guys think?

(Berks County)

I have the Bear Strike, and while I don't hunt, I do love the bow. For me, it's just relaxing recreation.

You should check out the classified section on Archery talk. There are lots of new and used bows. I don't know how you feel about buying used, but that's what I'm going to do for my next bow.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Go to a reputable bow shop. It may cost a bit more, but a bow needs to be fitted and tuned properly. Especially since this is your first bow. As far as brand I don’t think it much matters. All bows today are far superior to the bows I started with 20 years ago. Any of the major manufactures will make an adequate bow for your purposes.
    IMO the really high end stuff is primarily for competition. Most realistic bow hunting situations are 30 yards and quite often far less. IMO you don’t need to drop 1k or more to accomplish that task.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Luzerne County)

I've had many Bows. Last year bought a strike and love it. Small Fast and did its job. High priced Bows are just that high priced. $1,000 Rifle or $200 Shot gun. Down goes the game. The shooter is the key factor.

(Bucks County)

If you are not hunting then wait.

Check around for used bows.

I prefer Matthews, or bowtech.

But I have been shooting for 10 years.

Whatever you get it comes down to learning about your bow, learning about arrow weight and flight, and practicing.

When you can paper tune your bow... keep shooting at different stances... so you get the hang of being "square".

Also one of your best bets may be to go to a shop that will help you with everything.

Are you strictly looking for compound or thinking of traditional?

For a beginner, hoyt, PSE, Martin, great bows. I personally will not purchase bear, or some others. Just not my fit.

Go to a reputable bow shop.
    This is key. Just like purchasing a gun, the bow has to fit as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast