Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default I Did Something Silly...

Bought a P22

Yeah, yeah. I know. I've been bashing them for like 3 years straight. I won't recant, but I will revise a bit of what I've said in the past.

It is definitely ammo picky, but you all know that. So did I, but I got it anyway. I shot 300 rounds of Federal Automatch out of it yesterday without a hitch. Now when I started shooting Winchester and Remington ammo it was a joke. I taught my girlfriend how to rectify every jam in the book, so I guess that's a plus... She loves the thing. She loved my MKIII, but I think she likes this even more, because she says it seems more like a "gun". I suppose what she means is that since it's very light you actually get a little recoil and muzzle flash, making it feel like a larger pistol. She has also recently taking a liking to my Kahr CW9, which surprised my a little, but she loves it. Working the slide on that gun is still a little too much for her though.

All in all I'm happy with the silly little gun. However, there is one very, very bad thing about it...

It begs for a suppressor.

Anyone has any hints or tips on P22 ownership let's hear them. I'm already shopping for more mags and ammo, I'll probably get out and shoot it again on Monday if the weather cooperates. It's nice to have a .22 pistol again. I missed it.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Chester County)

Default Re: I Did Something Silly...

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Anyone has any hints or tips on P22 ownership let's hear them. I'm already shopping for more mags and ammo, I'll probably get out and shoot it again on Monday if the weather cooperates. It's nice to have a .22 pistol again. I missed it.
    Don't waste your money buying the 5 inch barrel for it. It'll never shoot as well as a Ruger MKII/III or a Buckmark. It is what it is... a plinker for tossing ammo down range.

Keep an eye on the slide for excessive wear and cracks. Having said all that, congrats on a fun little gun.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Bucks County)

Congrats! I've always loved to hate the P22 myself. I've talked a couple people out of buying them. But I still think I'll end up buying one someday My Buckmark is 100% reliable and very accurate, but the P22 has a certain coolness to it that a Buckmark will never have.

Oh yeah, get a Silencerco .22 Sparrow! I know a class 3 guy that has a few in stock now.

(Beaver County)

I have one in OD. I like it and it runs great with my SWR Warlock can. Definately quiet. Ya it's not a Buckmark or a Ruger but a great little gun. Look for the PDF file P22 bible on the net. It about 90 pages of everything you ever did and did not want to know about the gun including complete and total dissassembly down to bare frame.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Don't waste your money buying the 5 inch barrel for it. It'll never shoot as well as a Ruger MKII/III or a Buckmark. It is what it is... a plinker for tossing ammo down range.

Keep an eye on the slide for excessive wear and cracks. Having said all that, congrats on a fun little gun.
    I have no intention of buying that goofy barrel. I'll also be sure to keep an eye on it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    I have one in OD. I like it and it runs great with my SWR Warlock can. Definately quiet. Ya it's not a Buckmark or a Ruger but a great little gun. Look for the PDF file P22 bible on the net. It about 90 pages of everything you ever did and did not want to know about the gun including complete and total dissassembly down to bare frame.
    I got the P22 Bible. I'm still perusing. There's a lot in there I'm not gonna bother messing with.

I figure I'll run it until it's beat, see what sending it to the factory will get me, and either just scrap it, or pickup a new one. I know, it's not one of those guns that will be going strong 25 years from now, but it definitely is a fun plinker.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I have no intention of buying that goofy barrel.
    Just like you had no intention of buying that goofy gun?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Just like you had no intention of buying that goofy gun?
    Shhhhh! If this keeps up I'll be buying a goofy laser and putting an AR15 flash hider on the silly gun.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: I Did Something Silly...

nothing silly about it, you just got yourself a fun gun. way to go. i have the combo kit with short and long barrel as well as a pilot can to go with it. i find cci ammo made for the ar type guns works flawlessly.they are super quite with a quality can and sss ammo. i did puchase a walther laser for it since it was a factory acc., not into lasers much but it does work well to what ever distance you have sighted it in to. happy shooting, red dog

(Centre County)

I'm sure your aware of this, but.............

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=48
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Dauphin County)

I'm glad you liked it.

I really should have said about how ammo picky it is. Anything round nose feeds without issues, but it is super picky about hollow points. I do have to agree that it did help me really learn about removing jams in a pinch, but that was because I burnt through a whole box of Winchester Super-X JHP rounds in a single sitting. It was a lot of fun and I hope it serves you well, too.

One thing I did already do to that pistol was I polished the feed ramp. I used to not want to feed any JHP rounds at all.

I looked at the idea of supressors myself and I had to convince myself that it was too expensive of a venture to go down through. There was a fake supressor that looked freakin sweet and only cost $50... http://www.tacticalinc.com/walther-t...mbo-p-343.html

/Devils' Advocate

***EDIT*** I'd love to come join you for some shooting Monday if you're down to do so. I'm still yet to get the K40 out and am dying to do so. My range is under maintenance this week so I'm without a place to go try it out.
    Last edited by daustin; August 7th, 2011 at 05:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast