Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Stoeger SBS Build Thread (was: how short should I chop it?)

Looks sick so far! When are we going to go shoot that beast?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by kindred_spirits View Post
    Looks sick so far! When are we going to go shoot that beast?
    Well its not gonna be shootable until I do some more work on the grip. Right now there is nothing holding it on. I need to bore out the hole bigger to make room for the bolt head, then get a shorter bolt. I'd say everything will be done with the grip in about a week.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    I'm gonna have to plug the hole. Where it's cut off, the hole is only the diameter of the bolt threads, and not large enough for the bolt head. So I will have to bore it out larger for the bolt head. I'm also going to need a shorter bolt, or cut down the existing bolt.

To make the hole plug, I'm going to mill out a piece of the stock that I cut off, glue it in place and then trim it flush. I have access to a Bridgeport milling machine at work so it shouldn't be a problem to get a tight fit. Hopefully.

Make sure you take lots of pic's, this project has peaked my interest most def and if it comes out to cost less than your average pistol with the NFA tax included I just may find myself looking at making one too!

Are you planning on slicking up the internals (like the in the link you posted) and are you going to cut down the barrel and mount the bead or have a smith do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    Make sure you take lots of pic's, this project has peaked my interest most def and if it comes out to cost less than your average pistol with the NFA tax included I just may find myself looking at making one too!

Are you planning on slicking up the internals (like the in the link you posted) and are you going to cut down the barrel and mount the bead or have a smith do it?
    The internals are pretty slick already. I might replace the spring on the lever to lighten it up a little bit, but the rest of the action seems good. It might have something to do with the fact that it's 20 gauge. (or not, I don't know)

I plan to cut the barrel myself using a horizontal hydraulic controlled bandsaw (my friend owns one). That will allow me to clamp the barrels and get a square, even cut. It is also liquid cooled, to avoid messing with the temper of the steel.

I haven't decided if I'm going to do the bead myself or have someone else do it. I've never installed a bead before, but I'm the type of guy to just go for it, even if I'm not sure what I'm doing. It's amazing what you can do with just an hour of Googling!

Today I finished shaping the pistol grip. Here's another picture:

I did some more work after that picture, but that's pretty close to how it is now.

Notice I removed all the poly (or whatever type of clearcoat it was) from the entire grip, not just where it was reshaped. I want the finish to be completely uniform, so you cannot see a line between the original finish and where the modification was done. I was able to sand all the way up to the checkering without disturbing the edging of the checkering. Then I went over the whole thing with steel wool. When I wet it with water, it looks beautiful. It should match the forend perfectly, and should look like it was made that way from the factory. Well, hopefully.

I will continue to update this thread as the project progresses!
    Last edited by bac0nfat; August 8th, 2011 at 08:49 AM.

(Bucks County)

To all you NFA legal experts out there, is it a problem that the serial number on the gun is not viewable unless you break open the action? Also, is there anything I need to put on my Form 1 about the fact that there is no stock, or do I just put the barrel length and OAL? I just hope it doesn't raise concern that I'm making an SBS with a 11.5" barrel and 19.5" OAL, which would be impossible if it had a stock.

ETA: Just an update, I filled out my Form 1 and US Citizenship Form tonight, it will be in the mail tomorrow! I also disabled that stupid auto-safety. It would engage the safety every time you hit the release lever. Now the safety only engages when I tell it to, the way it should be.

ETA again: The release lever is much smoother and easier to actuate after disabling the auto-safety. Before doing the modification, the lever would "bind" halfway through its travel in order to engage the safety. Now it is one smooth, continuous movement, MUCH better.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; August 8th, 2011 at 08:51 AM.

(Franklin County)

Awesome thread. Been thinking about doing this myself. Great work!! I c
    prob cant do all the work myself sadly

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    To all you NFA legal experts out there, is it a problem that the serial number on the gun is not viewable unless you break open the action? Also, is there anything I need to put on my Form 1 about the fact that there is no stock, or do I just put the barrel length and OAL? I just hope it doesn't raise concern that I'm making an SBS with a 11.5" barrel and 19.5" OAL, which would be impossible if it had a stock.

ETA: Just an update, I filled out my Form 1 and US Citizenship Form tonight, it will be in the mail tomorrow! I also disabled that stupid auto-safety. It would engage the safety every time you hit the release lever. Now the safety only engages when I tell it to, the way it should be.

ETA again: The release lever is much smoother and easier to actuate after disabling the auto-safety. Before doing the modification, the lever would "bind" halfway through its travel in order to engage the safety. Now it is one smooth, continuous movement, MUCH better.
    No issues with the existing serial number being where it is now. Also, no need to mention that you are removing the stock. You just need to put down the barrel length that you will be cutting it to and the to be new overall length. Once you have your tax stamp you can add/remove the stock at will.

Just remember that your manufacture engravings(name, city and state) that you will need to get will have to go somewhere on the receiver or barrels.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    No issues with the existing serial number being where it is now. Also, no need to mention that you are removing the stock. You just need to put down the barrel length that you will be cutting it to and the to be new overall length. Once you have your tax stamp you can add/remove the stock at will.

Just remember that your manufacture engravings(name, city and state) that you will need to get will have to go somewhere on the receiver or barrels.
    Thanks! I got all the forms filled out in duplicate, ready to be taken to the post office in about a half hour. Hopefully this goes faster than my last Form 1 (4.5 months )

Lookin awesome! Keep up the good work.

(Bucks County)

UGH! I can't send out my form 1 today. I grabbed the wrong copy of my trust this morning (it has my old address) so I need to get the right copy and send it out tomorrow. Everything else is complete in duplicate and duplex, signed, in the envelope with a $200 check and addressed. Oh well.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast