Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Slide stop pins fall out?

While checking out a P238 at Gander Mtn, the slide stop pin fell out while I was racking it leaning to the left. I did not have my finger on the opposite slide, and frankly was surprised.

Is a "falling out" slide stop pin a major concern on P238's, 1911's, etc handguns of that takedown design? Are you more comfortable with another style, such as the rotation-style for classic Sig's, Beretta 92's, or the double-sided pulldown for Glocks?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Slide stop pins fall out?

I have shot about 1,000 rounds through my p238 and I have never had that issue or even worried about that issue.

(Lawrence County)

It is a major concern, but not in the design... If the pin just falls out then the hole in the frame, and the pin are worn out of spec... Don't buy it!

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

If it is a new gun, I'd be concerned. The only Sig I know of that had issues was the 250, but it wasn't a slide stop issue. If the gun is used, who knows why. Could be that the previous owner got over zealous in trying to make something work better than Sig intended for it to. Sometimes (not often, though) when a slide is machined, holes can get drilled too big or out of line. These errors are usually caught before the gun gets put in a box to be shipped somewhere and the slide is simply remelted into bar stock. I have never seen a slide stop fall out of anything just by leaning it, and it should not ever just fall out of any gun regardless of new, used, make, or model. I have disassembled many 1911's and have yet to remove a slide stop that came out as easy as I would like it to.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Elk County)

Pins falling out is not good, but not necessarily indicative that the firearm is "broken" or "out of spec."

Slide stops and other pins have retention systems - short tabs on 1911 slide stops, spring-loaded detent pins, wire springs captured in a notch in the pin, grip panels that overlap the large-diameter head on the pin, whatever. Before I'd jump to a conclusion that some hole was too big, I'd first check to make certain the weapon was properly assembled, and while doing so I'd verify the pin retention system was in place and effective.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.