Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Single Action Army

I'm looking to purchase a revolver in the style of the Colt Single Action Army, and the only one I've been able to find helpful information on (aside from actual antiques) is the Ruger Vaquero.

Any opinions out there on good, reliable SAA-style revolvers I may be missing? Any personal experiences with the Vaquero?

Default Re: Single Action Army

Quote Originally Posted by silvertiger27 View Post
    I'm looking to purchase a revolver in the style of the Colt Single Action Army, and the only one I've been able to find helpful information on (aside from actual antiques) is the Ruger Vaquero.

Any opinions out there on good, reliable SAA-style revolvers I may be missing? Any personal experiences with the Vaquero?
    I have a blackhawk, which is basically an 'updated' vaquero in .357 mag. All I can say is it is sweet. Great feeling gun, shoots nice, very very well put together for the money. If I had the chance to go back and get a vaquero instead I probably would, but there really isn't much difference between the two models. The vaquero's and blackhawk's are hard to beat for the price too IMO, and I believe the prices on them just went down not too long ago.

Look at any Ruger. Well built, been around for a while, good service. There are others but why look for something that will cost more and be just as good or cost less and not be as good. The Blackhawks came first then the Vaquero. Go to http://www.ruger.com/index.html and see what they have. Bisley, Vaquero, Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk. All good.

(Jefferson County)

Keep in mind with the Ruger Vaquero's that there is the "Vaquero" and the "New Vaquero".

The "Vaquero" is bigger and beefier than the standard Colt SAA. It is/was made on the Blackhawk platform. It can handle the hotter loads. The feel and balance are more like that Blackhawks due to it's mass.

The "New Vaquero" is closer to the original Colt SAA dimensions, improved in places, and is of more modern materials. It can handle slightly warmer loads than the Colt, but not much. It retains much of the feel and balance of the original Colt.

Before you go much further you must decide whether you want a close to original platform or a big beefy platform.

addendum: With the "Vaquero", the gate unlocks the cylinder for feeding rotation. The chambers dont line up like a Colt, so you have to advance the wheel with your thumb slightly with each hole. I think the "New Vaquero's" use the half-cock Colt standard which paws the wheel to the proper alignment.

Here below is an example with my Virginian Dragoon Silhouette versus my Ruger Vaquero. The Dragoon uses the Colt style lock using a half-cock, where as the older style Vaquero uses the Ruger gate lock. You can clearly see how the Ruger doesn't line up the holes for ejection/loading upon unlocking.

Last edited by knight0334; August 5th, 2011 at 09:14 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Pike County)

I have a Uberti Hombre in .357. It's fun to shoot. It uses the same holsters that the Colt SSA does.

If you want info on SAA revolvers go to any Cowboy action shooting, or SASS web page.
    I have both the Ruger Vaquero with bisby grips in 357 mag and uberti colones in 45 long colt. The ruger is better made but the ubertis preform fine. Other choices are Cimarron arms in Texas (ubertis polished, fit and finished) Taylor and Co. F.lli Pietta, another Italian company, E.M.F. Co., Merwin, Hubert & Co. and US firearms if they are still in business. Beretta also makes a Single action, but is top end and thus pricey. BTW I think Colt and am sure Smith and Wesson are both still building SA revolvers, so might want to check their web pages also. Both of those would be high end expensive options.

Good luck and have fun shooting whatever you get.

(York County)

Taurus also manufactures a well made single action called the Gaucho- unlike the Ruger, Beretta, or any with a transfer bar system, The Gaucho is very Colt like with the 4 clicks on cocking, the half cock notch, built to withstand fanning the hammer, and still has the added safety of a transfer bar system.
    The Uberti's and other Italian made clones are made in the more classic mold of the Colt SAA, utililzing the old style hammer w/ pin- best carried over an empty chamber. The Taurus, IMO offers the best of both worlds- classic lines,feel, and operation crossed with modern safety and durability- at a reasonable cost.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by silvertiger27 View Post

The Ruger Single action revolvers are very good. Of course though there are others that are also good Uberti for one makes some fine models, but if you really want to spend some time drooling all over your keyboard go here and cruise the entire site: http://www.usfirearms.com/

Just in case you're interested in knowing, these are manufactured in the orginal Colt factory, I believe they might have acquired some of the original tooling also.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(York County)

I have several single actions including a Ruger Super Blackhawk, several Ubertis, a Pietta and an original 1st generation Colt. All are very good. As several have already posted, the Rugers are made to be extra tough and durable, they also can feel clunky. To me there are therefore slow and heavy to my hands that are used to traditional single actions weight and balance.

Try several and pick the one that best suites your hands and wallet.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    The Ruger Single action revolvers are very good. Of course though there are others that are also good Uberti for one makes some fine models, but if you really want to spend some time drooling all over your keyboard go here and cruise the entire site: http://www.usfirearms.com/

Just in case you're interested in knowing, these are manufactured in the orginal Colt factory, I believe they might have acquired some of the original tooling also.
    Some nice looking hog legs there. I never seen a 12 shot .22 revolver before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast