Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Of training axioms, truths and standards ……..

Let me first say that I am speaking neutral here...I have been shooting for years but I am new to the whole tactical training thing. I have learned tons from you guys and really appreciate it. I do however see what Tony speaks of in other posts. I think a lot of the resentment comes from the 'trained' poster's unwaivering position on a topic...almost an "I'm right and you are wrong" attitude. This attitude can offend and even belittle a person with a slightly different perspective on a topic. Thus, resentment is forged! It is no surprise that attitude is hard to express over a message forum as well as sarcasm, so a lot of post are also taken out of context too.

I just think that wisdom is better dispensed in a factual, polite way instead of being rammed down someones throat! Personally, I think Tony does present his information in a more pleasant way...MarcS, well we won't even go there...LOL (we love ya, Marc!) It is hard for people to change their beliefs. After all, I studied Calculus in high school and college for 1000+ hours but I haven't ever used it once! There is a difference between the training world and the real world. My humble suggestion is for the trained posters to present their facts and opinions in a pleasant manner and take time to listen to opposite opinions...not just cut them to shreds. Everybody else needs to respect the trained people's input but take it for what it is worth...if you don't agree with something, that is fine...but respect the poster for sharing his knowledge. We all won't use calculus in our lives, but it's nice to know it's there if you ever do!

I hope you all find this post useful and insightful. I myself do truly thank everyone here for sharing your knowledge!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wasz View Post
    How I look at it. Its more like Bruce Lee. If I'm set in one modality then I've already failed.
    I think the analogy is a little different. Bruce Lee's approach was to reject that one single preprogrammed response would be appropriate for all fights. Yet, while initially, the fight can take many shapes (which is why you can't force it to fit your preconceptions), nevertheless, once the fight is underway, specific things happen that require a specific response. Much like a chess game: once the game is underway, the options diminish, and sometimes there is only one option...so you better be good at that option.

Thus, if your gun stops running, that is NOT the time for a Zen-like "do what you feel, at the moment." That's the time to have a completely pre-programmed and well-practiced response ready that requires zero cognitive input and no decision making.

Also, while specifics may vary, there are some general rules that really should be instinctive (moving, to name one).

Maintaining a fluid approach is not the same as having no need for training. Training is what allows you to adapt, improvise, overcome.

(Westmoreland County)

I think there is a misunderstanding towards the general point of my statement. The idea was more that I can understand a persons ties to their training for certain important psychological reasons. This is why if you go to a forum that has its favorite, and you voice a different opinion you tend to get jumped on. People have their favorite and its for good reason. You HAVE to believe in it thats why when it comes to this kind of stuff people tend to get sorta pushy.

The Bruce Lee thing was less about actually fighting and more towards mindset.(I tried to take something well known and bend it to my purposes) No it is not about some sort of "mental multiple choice" in the middle of a fight. Nor the need for training or not needing training. More along the lines of, if I like training from Mike, and it works for me cool. But maybe Steve has something I can use too. I won't ever know it though if I'm too busy putting my fingers in my ears and screaming about how Mike is better than everyone. This is more what I was driving at.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wasz View Post
    More along the lines of, if I like training from Mike, and it works for me cool. But maybe Steve has something I can use too. I won't ever know it though if I'm too busy putting my fingers in my ears and screaming about how Mike is better than everyone. This is more what I was driving at.
    Agreed...although I predict you'll find a far larger core of basic agreement among firearms trainers than you'll find in the martial arts world.

(Mercer County)

Tony F:

I for one search out your posts and thank you for freely sharing the Tactics, Techniques and Principles that have taken you over one thousand hours of training to learn. You also have the approach that will educate people and get them to think about what you are saying. Also, I look forward to taking a training class from you in the near future.

With that being said, anytime, one of the experts on this forum says something that isn't in agreement with the writings or teachings of instructors like Col Charles Askins, Rex Applegate, Bill Jordan, Jeff Cooper, or Jim Cirillo to name a few, I will go with someone who has at least some experience with life or death situtations, rather than someone who only wanted people to think he was an accomplished gunfighter and learned all he knows from sitting in his easychair.

There are members who post on the TTP subjects who IHMO are legends in their own minds.

Oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12