Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default muscle memory really works.....unfortunately

We've all heard that if you do something often enough, it becomes second nature, it's true!
    Tonight at the range, I shot really well, by my standards
    Finished the magazine, cleared the gun and headed out to the shop to shoot the chit with the guy behind the counter.
    Everyone had got went and it was just us two.
    I showed him my target and we joked about how at the start of the year I could not hit the ground if I fell over.
    I then commented that after almost 2500 rnds, the trigger was really feeling sweet now, I took the gun, half pulled the slide to latch the trigger and squeezed!!
    Of course, the bullet missed us both or I would not be typing this with a stiff drink at my side! :,(

The muscle memory "thing" saved us and caused the accident (to a degree).
    First, I out of repetition and instinct had the muzzle pointed away from us both, that's the good.
    The bad, is that I never go home from the range with ammo in the gun, except today, for some reason I decided to leave a half dozen rounds in the magazine which I'd loaded, after my usual practice of emptying it and clearing the gun on the range!.
    So, in my mind, there was no ammo in there, because there never is.
    I never have the gun chambered, so it would have been safe, except I half racked it, apparently enough to load a round.
    My stupidity could have resulted in someone getting hurt or worse, his training as a former police officer kicked in, in a heart beat.
    After the shot, I dropped the mag and put the gun down on the counter, he picked it up and racked it, because of course, it had cycled and chambered afresh round, whilst I was still wondering the hell had just happened!!
    No pics now, but I will get some later of the damage.
    The gun was in my hand and flat on it's side, the bullet went through a box on the counter and hit the counter top about 4 feet away at a very shallow angle, bounced up and through the guys pistol case and slammed into a box of .357 magnum rounds.
    Busted three of them wide open, and came to rest half embedded in the case of a fourth.
    When they said .357 magnums have stopping power, I'm not sure that's what they meant
    Anyway, I have my 9mm FMJ bullet, slightly deformed, and I owe the guy some ammo and a pistol case.

Before the flames, (deserved of course) I know, and DO check every weapon, I did not check this one, because I "knew" it could not be loaded <sigh>

Lesson learned, and no one was hurt thankfully, but it was a wake up call I won't forget

(Delaware County)

Default Re: muscle memory really works.....unfortunately

That's not muscle memory or accident, it's poor judgement and stupidity.

I don't get why people post these stories and even with a comedic tone and smilies like we are going to laugh with you and joke about it. I think you are missing the point and gravity of what happened. You could've killed someone.

Guns are ALWAYS treated as loaded and why the hell would you rack and fire a gun for no reason.

"muscle memory caused the gun to shoot"
    Unreal...
    Last edited by BimmerJon; August 3rd, 2011 at 10:21 PM.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    That's not muscle memory or accident, it's poor judgement and stupidity.

I don't get why people post these stories and even with a comedic tone and smilies like we are going to laugh with you and joke about it. I think you are missing the point and gravity of what happened. You could've killed someone.

Guns are ALWAYS treated as loaded and why the hell would you rack and fire a gun for no reason.

"muscle memory caused the gun to shoot"

Unreal...
    Sorry Vapo, but you F'ed up by disregarding the very first rule of safety. A gun is always treated as if it is loaded, even if you "know" it is not. How did that work out for ya? If you had followed that rule, it would not have mattered in what condition the gun was when you left the range. And you also would have checked it prior to touching the trigger. See how that works?

Also, it seems by the use of smiley faces that you don't seem too concerned, either. You'd better get that straightened out, next time there might be someone else near you that your not aware of, or on the other side of a wall, and no .357 boxes to stop your ND.
    Last edited by ROCK-IT3; August 3rd, 2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added comments
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Lesson learned the extremely hard way. My personal opinion of the matter will not be expressed because it doesn't matter. With that said, I KNOW the pistols in my safe are unloaded. When I pull them out, I check, double check and triple check each one before I show it to someone, take it to the garage for cleaning, put it in a range bag to go to the range, or wipe it down with a cloth. Maybe I am excessive, but I have never had an ND. I presume you are a bit shaken by the incident and hope that it never happens again. If you don't mind me asking, what type of pistol was it? I do have to question why you didn't drop the mag? Had it been empty, it would have locked back.
    Jules

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Lesson learned the extremely hard way. My personal opinion of the matter will not be expressed because it doesn't matter. With that said, I KNOW the pistols in my safe are unloaded. When I pull them out, I check, double check and triple check each one before I show it to someone, take it to the garage for cleaning, put it in a range bag to go to the range, or wipe it down with a cloth. Maybe I am excessive, but I have never had an ND. I presume you are a bit shaken by the incident and hope that it never happens again. If you don't mind me asking, what type of pistol was it? I do have to question why you didn't drop the mag? Had it been empty, it would have locked back.
    Jules
    Ruger Sr9, I did drop the mag after the ND, so the mag disconect would have stopped a second shot, but that's beside the point.
    As with any email or text, smilies can and often are mis interpreted.
    as for not understanding the gravity, I assure you I do.

Quote Originally Posted by vapochilled View Post
    Ruger Sr9, I did drop the mag after the ND, so the mag disconect would have stopped a second shot, but that's beside the point.
    As with any email or text, smilies can and often are mis interpreted.
    as for not understanding the gravity, I assure you I do.
    My POINT, was that if you dropped the mag in the first place, we would not have been reading your post about an ND in a gun shop. I am sure the shop guys see some piss poor gun handling in their stores. Heck, some of the worst I have seen has been by gun shop employees. While I place no culpability with the shop employee, shame on him for not asking you to clear your firearm while standing across the counter with it pointed in his general direction.
    Jules

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    My POINT, was that if you dropped the mag in the first place, we would not have been reading your post about an ND in a gun shop. I am sure the shop guys see some piss poor gun handling in their stores. Heck, some of the worst I have seen has been by gun shop employees. While I place no culpability with the shop employee, shame on him for not asking you to clear your firearm while standing across the counter with it pointed in his general direction.
    Jules
    Buck stops with me on this one, mag was in, because I was demonstrating how the trigger had smoothed out after so many rounds. With the mag disconect , I can't do that if I drop the mag.
    Not an excuse, but that's how it happened

Got it. Glad no one was injured.
    Jules

(Philadelphia County)

"Muscle memory" is slang for motor skills. The muscles don't move themselves, the brain tells them to do it. Unfortunately you have programmed your brain with some bad habits. Fortunately you've received a warning without someone being killed.

Some Cooper purists may disagree with this, but I think loading a firearm "for some reason" is a serious safety problem in itself. Load it for a specific purpose and only when necessary to serve that purpose. Don't load firearms just because you can.

I am not gonna flame you but send rep. Because you have the balls to admit you royally F*#@&d up! Everyone makes mistakes some have the balls to admit it. You could have said nothing and eventually a story would have appeared on the forum about the guy who had an AD at such and such gun shop. Yes your mistake was with a gun and could have killed the other guy or yourself. Who has not been in an accident with a car, ran a light or stop sign? Shit happens learn from it! Will you name the shop or no?
    Last edited by Daycrawler; August 4th, 2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: sp
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast