Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the best?

The point is if the .303 could do it the 30-06 would do it better. The Brits pushed the .303 in Africa that still doesn't make it a better round IMO on paper or real target results.
    Pretty much.

Trying to kill African "big gam"e with a round not even up to 30-06 ballistic standards is like hunting deer with a .22. Sounds like something the Brits would do really. Guess the .303 didn't work out so great or large caliber rifles (which look more like beefy shotguns) would have never been developed. Guess they got tired of shooting something a dozen times to kill it.

(Dauphin County)

Rundownfid

In the Pacific in WWII which country inflicted the first defeat in battle to the Japanese, and what rifle did they carry?

I'll give you a little hint, they were call Chocolate Solders because it was thought they would melt and run away from the Japanese. They fought their way from Port Moresby over the Owens Stanley range to Buna and didn't stop killing Japanese until the war ended.

Another hint, my koala bear target to pull their leg with and Elle McPherson who eats Vegemite.
    (and isn't from Perry county)

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    Rundownfid

In the Pacific in WWII which country inflicted the first defeat in battle to the Japanese, and what rifle did they carry?

I'll give you a little hint, they were call Chocolate Solders because it was thought they would melt and run away from the Japanese. They fought their way from Port Moresby over the Owens Stanley range to Buna and didn't stop killing Japanese until the war ended.

Another hint, my koala bear target to pull their leg with and Elle McPherson who eats Vegemite.
    (and isn't from Perry county)

Nice pictures how did you get them from KOKODA to our computer screens?
    Not sure what being first has to do with being best, after all the Marines beat the Japs with 1903s on Guadal Canal, but I'll bet they sure were glad to get M1s, after all they still were that wonderful 30-06!!!

You should mention the Bren gun which was the equal of the BAR; as much as I love my SMLE it isn't equal to an M1 as a battle rifle.

(Dauphin County)

Rundownfid

One thing I learned collecting the Enfield rifle over ten years and studying history, John Wayne didn't win WWII by himself. And our allied friends were fighting the war long before Pearl Harbor was attacked.

The .303 British Enfield rifle isn't a 30-06 Garand but it was used longer and traveled further, and served longer and it is considered one of the best battle rifles ever made.

Did you know the Canadians had the forth largest Air Force in WWII, did you know the New Zealanders suffered the highest amount of casualties per percentage of there population in WWII.

Read about "The Execution of Pvt Slovik" and find out why General Eisenhower decided to have him executed to stop the high desertion rate we had in Europe during WWII.

Rundownfid, we didn't win WWII by ourselves and the 30-06 wasn't the only rifle used during the war nor can you say we as Americans were the best.

And how did I get the Kokoda movie to our monitor screens.................

By knowing more than someone from Perry county.

And remember the .303 British Enfield rifle was used to shoot round holes in square heads.

(Perry County)

Rundownfid

One thing I learned collecting the Enfield rifle over ten years and studying history, John Wayne didn't win WWII by himself. And our allied friends were fighting the war long before Pearl Harbor was attacked.

The .303 British Enfield rifle isn't a 30-06 Garand but it was used longer and traveled further, and served longer and it is considered one of the best battle rifles ever made.

Did you know the Canadians had the forth largest Air Force in WWII, did you know the New Zealanders suffered the highest amount of casualties per percentage of there population in WWII.

Read about "The Execution of Pvt Slovik" and find out why General Eisenhower decided to have him executed to stop the high desertion rate we had in Europe during WWII.

Rundownfid, we didn't win WWII by ourselves and the 30-06 wasn't the only rifle used during the war nor can you say we as Americans were the best.

And how did I get the Kokoda movie to our monitor screens.................

By knowing more than someone from Perry county.

And remember the .303 British Enfield rifle was used to shoot round holes in square heads.

See, you prove my point; had that been a 30-06 hole;that kraut would have been dead not standing there with a red check mark on his helmet.

As to who killed the most bad guys in WW2 the Soviets should have been the winner hands down. Of course not sure that counts since they were bad guys to, only temporarily on our side. So now you will want to claim the
    7.63x54R is the best cartridge of the bunch. Next you will want me to vote for the mayor of Harrisburg, no thanks.

(Dauphin County)

Rundownfid

See, you prove my point; had that been a 30-06 hole;that kraut would have been dead not standing there with a red check mark on his helmet.
    1. The German is hardheaded like people from Perry county and he just doesn't know he is dead yet. And its not a check mark it is a red arrow so the people from Perry county can see it who have vitamin deficiencies from eating so many road kills and spot lighted deer.

2. 30-06 = 308, .303 British = .312 with a more devastating bullet with a aluminum nose section that makes the bullet yaw sideways after hitting flesh.

I don't know why I bother with these Perry county jokes, your probably a transplant anyway.

(Perry County)

1. The German is hardheaded like people from Perry county and he just doesn't know he is dead yet. And its not a check mark it is a red arrow so the people from Perry county can see it who have vitamin deficiencies from eating so many road kills and spot lighted deer.

2. 30-06 = 308, .303 British = .312 with a more devastating bullet with a aluminum nose section that makes the bullet yaw sideways after hitting flesh.

I don't know why I bother with these Perry county jokes, your probably a transplant anyway.

Truth is almost everyone is a transplant the pop. has about doubled in the past 25 years. However, unlike most of the newbies I did not flee Harrisburg.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    My Buddy's Enfield with .303 ammo seems to recoil far harder then my Modern rifles or my sporterized 1917 shooting like or heavier 06. The 06 groups are tighter down range no matter who shooting the rifles as long as they can shoot.
    I haven't shot .303 in quite a while but I found the recoil to be much tamer than .30-06. Sorta like .30-30.

But, it's been a while.

(McKean County)

During the .303 British's service life, the sun never set on British lands.

From a reloading standpoint, the .303 is a very easy round to load. Since you neck size only to get maximum case life from your brass, you don't need to use lube and you don't need to clean lube off. Loading .303 is just so freakin' easy and quick that you feel like you're forgetting something when you load it.
    It's a capable big game round for hunting in PA and it's been used successfully on many things bigger than whitetails. Enfields are very quick firing and smooth rifles and some, such as the old Lithgow I used to have, have very tight bores. Cloverleafs are the norm with that rifle (belongs to my brother now).
    I think it's hard to call which is "best" but I wouldn't mind own another Enfield at some point... in fact, I kept the reloading dies because I plan to have one.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast