Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Traveling with my pistol....

I have to go to Yuma Az next week for work. I will be flying into San Diego and driving across California to Yuma.

Since my final destination (not my flight destination) is in a gun friendly state, can I take my pistol? I am planning on transporting in compliance with the law until I hit the Az border.

The way I see it, I would be legal at my place of origin and my final destination so the fed transport laws cover me the few hours I am in California right?

I'm pretty sure I will get to Cali/Az with my pistol, my concern is when I show up at the airport for my return flight and declare my pistol...

Has anyone flown to/from Cali with your guns???
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Traveling with my pistol....

My understanding of the law, IANAL, is your firearm/LTCF must be legal from your origin and to your final destination. Since California is seen as the final stop in your flight itinerary I would say you would not be legal the minute you pick up your firearm/s from baggage check in San Diego possibly presenting issues for you.

You can always mail it to yourself in AZ. Check the ATF website for procedures as no FFL is required to mail it to yourself.
    Last edited by jloop10; August 1st, 2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: add:

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by jloop10 View Post
    My understanding of the law, IANAL, is your firearm/LTCF must be legal from your origin and to your final destination. Since California is seen as the final stop in your flight itinerary I would say you would not be legal the minute you pick up your firearm/s from baggage check in San Diego possibly presenting issues for you.

You can always mail it to yourself in AZ. Check the ATF website for procedures as no FFL is required to mail it to yourself.
    My final destination is not Ca, that just happens to be where I am getting off the plane.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    My final destination is not Ca, that just happens to be where I am getting off the plane.
    Right... but you take possession of them from the airline in CA... so the airline transport rules no longer apply.

I think mailing your gun(s) to yourself is probably a safer option.

I have to go to Yuma Az next week for work. I will be flying into San Diego and driving across California to Yuma.

Since my final destination (not my flight destination) is in a gun friendly state, can I take my pistol? I am planning on transporting in compliance with the law until I hit the Az border.

The way I see it, I would be legal at my place of origin and my final destination so the fed transport laws cover me the few hours I am in California right?

I'm pretty sure I will get to Cali/Az with my pistol, my concern is when I show up at the airport for my return flight and declare my pistol...

Has anyone flown to/from Cali with your guns???
    This might help, from here:
    http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php
    HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    This might help, from here:
    http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php
    This is what I was looking for.... thanks. +Rep

This is what I was looking for.... thanks. +Rep
    Believe it or not, very few states are as restrictive as PA when it comes to transporting unloaded handguns. I found this out on my recent road trip. I was able to transport an unloaded firearm throughout IL legally, and that was without FOPA protection.

Even without FOPA it seems like you're good to go, but with FOPA you're even better off.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Jefferson County)

To FOPA it is. Then the car trip begins another transit. People have been gank'd in NYC when transiting from airline to vehicular transportation while in the possession of firearms, and if I remember correctly - they charges held up.

Fortunately CA law provides for legal possession and vehicle transportation. ..yes, I know it's hard to believe. CA and IL both have more "liberal" transportation rights in and through the state than PA does.

Any mags with capacity higher than 10 rounds might not be allowed though.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

If this is military related trip , may wanna double check the AR's relating to it also.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by k9loki View Post
    If this is military related trip , may wanna double check the AR's relating to it also.
    This is for my civilian employment. I will be workign on an Army installation but staying in a hotel in Yuma.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast