Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Questions for Ruger SR9c owners

I recently bought a Ruger SR9c. Brought it to the range today and it shot fine. No FTF or FTE.
    However, there certain things that kinda bug me.

1. As soon as I brought it home, I cleaned it. I learned that the recoil spring has some plastic parts. Also noticed there are couple of plastic shavings on the spring. Not sure if it's just left over from the manufacturing or result of racking it. Does the plastic in the recoil spring gave you any problem? Durability?

2. When you disassemble(field strip) it, as soon as you remove the slide, the recoil spring is already disconnected/unseated from the notch in the barrel. I put the spring back, assemble it, and disassemble it again, same thing. This is my first ruger, not sure it's just the way it is for Ruger pistols. Is it normal behavior for the recoil spring to unseat from the barrel during dis-assembly?

3. Sometimes, you really need to push in hard the magazines to make it click.

4. Purely aesthetics.. the outside of the barrel/chamber where it has 9x19mm stamped, it's not smooth, shiny steel.

Thanks

(Centre County)

Default Re: Questions for Ruger SR9c owners

First of all, I think your issues with the spring are normal. Any plastic is going to wear in. And yes my spring unseats also but it causes no problems.

Now in respect to your barrel...Ruger evidently doesn't know the meaning of smooth and shiny when it comes to barrels. My pf9 racks more smoothly, and the sr9c barrels are VERY disappointing to me.

Now with that said, I really like the gun overall . My thing with Ruger is that they are the "almost, but not" company. The sr9c could be so much better, but it's what we got and I like it for now.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Lehigh County)

Thanks StingyGunner. I love the gun too. I guess I shouldn't be worried with the spring unseating.

I will try to call/email Ruger, and see what their explanation is.

(Lehigh County)

the plastic in the recoil spring ist a problem.... if you had an sr9 instead of the sr9c you could get a replacement steel or aluminum one for there but the polymer is more than suficient for this gun... my mag was also hard to push in when i first got it... as well as the mag release was pretty tight.... sent it back to them and it came back in like a week 100% better... run some rounds through it and see how it feels..

(Blair County)

#3 is common with most pistols if you fill the magazine to full capacity. Take a round out and see if it goes in easier. If so this is normal.

SR9 owner here, so not all of my answers may directly apply.

Quote Originally Posted by filgun11 View Post
    1. As soon as I brought it home, I cleaned it. I learned that the recoil spring has some plastic parts. Also noticed there are couple of plastic shavings on the spring. Not sure if it's just left over from the manufacturing or result of racking it. Does the plastic in the recoil spring gave you any problem? Durability?
    No problems yet with my SR9 (~1500 rounds).

2. When you disassemble(field strip) it, as soon as you remove the slide, the recoil spring is already disconnected/unseated from the notch in the barrel. I put the spring back, assemble it, and disassemble it again, same thing. This is my first ruger, not sure it's just the way it is for Ruger pistols. Is it normal behavior for the recoil spring to unseat from the barrel during dis-assembly?
    That is definitely something that does NOT happen with my SR9. Seems... odd. Is the spring in backwards or something?

3. Sometimes, you really need to push in hard the magazines to make it click.
    Yeah, I've noticed this. In fact, sometimes the mag sticks in but isn't all the way in... will often get a FTF when this happens.

4. Purely aesthetics.. the outside of the barrel/chamber where it has 9x19mm stamped, it's not smooth, shiny steel.
    Yeah, annoying as hell. Gun looks nice and pretty but they decided to go with the brushed look there? Why???? Grrrrrr.

(Chester County)

Haven't noticed any shavings on my spring... and I was kind of unnerved by the use of polymer there, too. But it works.

(Lehigh County)

Bigrepp61, Have you or someone you know tried switching the recoil spring? I'm concerned that it won't cycle properly. If the plastic piece breaks in the future, I might switch to the SR9 spring (if it indeed works).

Edg, I was only loading 5 rounds at a time. So I don't that's it.

OwnTheRide, The spring is not backwards. The manual specifically mentions that the plastic end goes to the slide side, and the steel end goes to the notch on barrel. I looked at youtube videos too. I'll try to take some pics later.
    Yes the mag does stick out a bit if not pushed in enough. The "click" sound When the 1st round hits the top (while inserting mag) is deceiving. You often think it's in already when it's really not. You really have to listen to the "louder" click, and feel/see the mag release button move a bit...

JonEMTP, I cleaned it after the going to the range yesterday.. no additional plastic shavings. So it's good news. It was probably plastic trimmings of the plastic piece in recoil spring.

Anyways, I only had 50 rounds thru it so far. No FTF/FTE. I will run more rounds thru it before I'm confident enough to switch my CCW to it. I'm hoping as I break it in, the mag issue will go away.

Thanks.

(Pike County)

Im not gonna lie, I hated 9mm's. I bought the Ruger SR9C, and I fell in love with it. Last Sunday, I probably put 200 rounds through it. The magazine problem is normal, I really wouldnt call it a problem, you just have to kinda seat it with some force. I notice with the smaller magazine, it seats alittle easier.
    Know Christ Know Peace, No Christ No Peace

(Lehigh County)

I think this gun need more breaking in. The recoil spring unseating problem is gone. It now stays seated on the notch. Still too stiff. I hoping, as one of youtube review said, it will loosen up.

Does anyone know what aim is the SR9c? Is it 6 o'clock hold or point of aim/impact?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast