Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Question Sig P229 Magazine lock problem when maxed out

So the problem goes....

When trying to lock a full magazine into the gun with the slide forward, I can not get it to fully seat and catch. It is actually nearly impossible to get it in. At first I thought it was tight springs in the magazine, but it does it on all 4 I have and has not changed after 450 rounds. here is a video of actually just how much pressure is required. It should be noted that 12 rounds goes in smooth as butter, 13 loads just fine with the slide back, and after it does eventually catch (with 13), it ejects just as it should.

http://www.brothersinarmsdesign.com/.../13_rounds.mov

It is my CC piece so I end up having 13 round mags. filled with 12. Not a major issue, but thought I would post up here to see if anyone had opinions.

Here is how all 4 of my mags sit fully loaded up.. they appear to load the same, but is there possibly something wrong with them?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Sig P229 Magazine lock problem when maxed out

I notice with mine, that there is more tension when the slide is all the way forward. However its not nearly as bad as yours. Thing is, I have a 229 in .40 and yours appears to be 9mm? At first I was thinking that you had the .357 and I only thought you could get 10 or 12 rnd mags in .357 and .40. So anyway I can see that if there is no give in the spring from the mag when fully loaded, it would not slide in properly. Thats all I can make of it. I am sure that I shouldn't ask this and don't take offense but is there any way you have 12rnd mags and are putting 13 in? Just checking, because that was the first thing that I though. Sorry If I couldn't be of more help.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I notice with mine, that there is more tension when the slide is all the way forward. However its not nearly as bad as yours. Thing is, I have a 229 in .40 and yours appears to be 9mm? At first I was thinking that you had the .357 and I only thought you could get 10 or 12 rnd mags in .357 and .40. So anyway I can see that if there is no give in the spring from the mag when fully loaded, it would not slide in properly. Thats all I can make of it. I am sure that I shouldn't ask this and don't take offense but is there any way you have 12rnd mags and are putting 13 in? Just checking, because that was the first thing that I though. Sorry If I couldn't be of more help.
    9mm, came with 2x 10 round and I replaced with 2x sig 13 round mags,,, but it does it both with the factory 10 rounders and the 13s. That would be pretty bad if I had a 12,, but nope.

(Philadelphia County)

Leave the mags fully loaded to loosen the springs a bit. In the meantime, don't baby them, slam those mags home. Glock mags are sprung notoriously tight as well when you first get them.

(Bucks County)

yeah just smack that bad boys in there with the bottom of your palm, versus just the push in. I've got a 229 in .40 (12+1) and never had any issues like that with a full load, but I have seen that on some other weapons.

loading and unloading the magazines should help too (or just use them at the range, load 12 instead, fire them out, repeat.)

EDIT: meant to say also that loading/unloading is supposed to be better at wearing springs than just leaving them loaded as I've read in the past.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by thirtyonebravo View Post
    EDIT: meant to say also that loading/unloading is supposed to be better at wearing springs than just leaving them loaded as I've read in the past.
    Correct, but just doing that for the hell of it is rough on the fingers.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    Correct, but just doing that for the hell of it is rough on the fingers.
    speed loader

thought i've never seen one for the sig mags. wonder if the one you get with a Glock would fit?

(Bucks County)

thanks for the replies,,,, I guess I'll just keep shooting it and hope it gets better,

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by BIA_Design View Post
    9mm, came with 2x 10 round and I replaced with 2x sig 13 round mags,,, but it does it both with the factory 10 rounders and the 13s. That would be pretty bad if I had a 12,, but nope.
    Yeah, I figured that you didn't have the 12rnd.

Good luck.

(Montgomery County)

but it does it on all 4 I have and has not changed after 450 rounds.
    Sounds like the gun (or mags) are new. Like others have posted, keep the mags loaded up (with 13 rounds) when you store them.
    Loading and unloading will break in the springs, making it easier to insert the mags with the slide closed.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast