Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Sig Sauer help-purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    Any chance the 226 you've been handling is an E2 and the 229 is not?

I used to hate the Sig series pistols (except the GRS / 1911) because they were uncomfortable to me. When I picked up an E2, my mind completely changed. I bought 3 226's -one in 9, one in .40, and one in .357Sig. I'm considering a 229E2 in .357Sig one of these days.

As far as I know, some 226/9s can have the grips replaced with E2 grips - but you'll need to do the research on that one if you want to get the 229 and swap the grips.
    This is what I was thinking. Klutch, I personally own TWO P229 - Seriously (one in .40 S&W and one in 9mm). It is just an amazing gun. There is very little difference between the 229 and the 226, it literally all comes down to size (magazine well length and barrel length). Otherwise they are remarkably identical.

Sig did recently start fitting their guns with what they are calling the "E2" grip. It is a single piece ergonomical grip. They are A LOT thinner than the various other grips that were previously shipping with the guns.

Chances are good you've been handling the E2 grip with the 226's you've held, and the 229 still has the older grips. Good news is you can buy the E2 grips for the 229!

Lifetime NRA, SAF, and GOA Member | PAFOA, FOAC, and MSI Contributor

You already like the way the 226 feels and say you like it better than the 229. The difference in barrel length WILL make a difference in the groups you print simply because the shorter the distance between the front sight and the rear sight, the less consistant your groups are. With a pistol, one inch makes a big difference, and if you are going to be using this at the range, then you will wish you got the longer barreled 226, plus you already like it better. If you do not believe me, set up an 8" black circle on a white backboard at 50yds and shoot it with a 4" barreled pistol and then a 5" barreled pistol that is the same gun and check out your groups. 9 times out of ten, the 5" will be better. I only mention this because you say it will get use, but probably won't be carried. The 226 is the pistol that will complete my pistol collection and I am offing two rifles to get one.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

I got the 229 yesterday. The grip feels great to me, I think it was pure imagination on my part. The 226 was not the E2, I am familiar with those and the grip was a regular Sig grip. I am very happy with my purchase and this one will be a keeper. I think I'll definitely be getting the 226 and I started to look at the 239 also.
    I'd still like to hear from you Sig aficionado's about these pistols, I still don't know much about them so any help is appreciated.

Congratulations on the new 229. I'm sure you'll like it. I used to visit here frequently, right after I got my first Sig:
    http://sigforum.com/
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lehigh County)

Went into Tanners this morning to have a look at a 226/229 with the new E2 grips. I just could not get my hand around the the old style well enough.
    The new E2 looks and feels a lot more like the HK P30 for me.

Any way, loved it so much I ordered the 226 ehanced elite in 40 with a 9mm conversion kit.
    They said a week or two to get it in, can't wait

i ended up with a Sig 229 2-step when i went looking for a 226 2-step, after already owning a 226.

the 226 is now gone. the 220, G36 and G30 i used to CC are now safe queens. i went on to buy another 229, a slide in 9mm, and 357 barrels to swap into both my 40's. both my 229's have Hogues and i am thinking of trying a set of G-10's. planning on getting another 229 2-step frame, this winter.

so i think you'll like it!

(Butler County)

Congrats on the purchase. I have a pair of 229s, a a 229r DHS model and a two-tone SAS that I converted from the SRT trigger set up to a DAK. It still has the short reach trigger on it so I can tell you that it's compatible. Personally, I don't care for the trigger but I like the DAK system and am getting ready to convert my 239 to DAK and 228 to DAO.

There's a wealth of info available on SIGforum as someone pointed out to you and plenty of places to get parts. There was a guy selling 226s with CT grips for under $500 not too long ago, may get lucky on the 226 search.

Good luck with but be careful, they multiply!

Quote Originally Posted by vapochilled View Post
    Any way, loved it so much I ordered the 226 ehanced elite in 40 with a 9mm conversion kit.
    Whose 9mm Conversion Kit? Bar-Sto?
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Whose 9mm Conversion Kit? Bar-Sto?
    No, the sig one, comes with Barrel/slide/spring and a mag
    Sig use different sights on the 40 vs 9mm
    I'll get a 357 barrel as well, and use the 40 slide/sights

you can also buy a Bar-Sto 40S&W to 9mm conversion barrel. i had one for my Sig 226 and it was more accurate and just as reliable as the stock 40S&W barrel. that said i would not recommend the conversion barrel for self-defense use, but mine was reliable enough i would have been willing to use it in a pinch. i had to buy 9mm mags to make it work.

even though the sight heights are different for the two calibers from Sig, i never noticed any difference in POI at the 10-yard distance that i normally shot it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast