Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New to me MK II

(York County)

Default New to me MK II

Just traded for this. Cleaned it up (boy was it dirty). And took to the range today. I also got some ammo in the trade. So at the range shot from bench ten rounds. Hit bullseye once and within 5 inches of it with the rest. Next mag off hand. Two rounds touching the rest within 5 inches. Not bad. Oh this is at 25 yards. So now thought I would try some traded bonus ammo.

First shot bang good to go. Next round bang. But the bolt did not go all the way forward. So ejected the round. And next one did not seat all the way. So dropped the mag locked bolt to the rear. Stepped into the sun to look down the barrel. Yep something is stuck! So day at the range is over because I didn't take any tools with me. Got home set up for a major ordeal. Nope a light tap and it came right out. So tomorrow off to the range again. Will post pics of the trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: New to me MK II

I have an MKII, and I love that pistol!
    I really hope they legalize semi auto hunting so that I can take small game with it. LOL

(Montgomery County)

Not only do we have the same gun, but I think we have the same table too!
    Congrats! It's an amazing gun. The only comment/suggestion I have, is that you not use Blazer, or any other brand of non-plated ammo. CCI Mini Mag Round Nose High Velocity Plated works well, as does (in mine) the Federal 550 Value Pack stuff, which is also HV, plated. Keep us posted on how it goes. The Ruger MKs, are tremendous guns, and an amazing value. Good luck with it!

"I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Not only do we have the same gun, but I think we have the same table too!
    Congrats! It's an amazing gun. The only comment/suggestion I have, is that you not use Blazer, or any other brand of non-plated ammo. CCI Mini Mag Round Nose High Velocity Plated works well, as does (in mine) the Federal 550 Value Pack stuff, which is also HV, plated. Keep us posted on how it goes. The Ruger MKs, are tremendous guns, and an amazing value. Good luck with it!

That confused me for a minute. I thought to myself were did the bullet go. lol The bad round was an Aguila 22 Super Maximum Eley prime. The stuff that worked was Winchester super-X. I also have the 550 box fed and rem. They will be going down range tomorrow. Can't wait.

(Montgomery County)

Thumbs up Re: New to me MK II

Picked up my fifth Ruger Mk II the other day at Tanner's.

Bought my first one, a used 6 7/8" Government model, way back in 1992. Still have it.

The beauty of these Rugers is that they make even a crappy shooter like me look like an expert marksman.

Been looking for a 5 1/2" stainless bull barrel model for awhile now and yesterday, I found one at Tanner's for $249.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yentl Marmelstein View Post
    Picked up my fifth Ruger Mk II the other day at Tanner's.

Bought my first one, a used 6 7/8" Government model, way back in 1992. Still have it.

The beauty of these Rugers is that they make even a crappy shooter like me look like an expert marksman.

Been looking for a 5 1/2" stainless bull barrel model for awhile now and yesterday, I found one at Tanner's for $249.

The stainless bull barrel models are really nice, and I'm keeping an eye out for one as well. You snagged a nice gun! I love 'em. Have 2 now, but because they're such an ego booster, and so reasonably priced, I can forsee having a few more eventually. Enjoy!
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Lancaster County)

There is a company that makes an alloy barrel for these out in ID that I have looked at.
    I though about picking one up.
    To be honest, the main reason I didn't is because I couldn't see any need to make the pistol "better". LOL

(York County)

Went to the range today again. This time no problems. Shot rem bulk box. I reluctantly will show my targets. Not proud but all shots were off hand and at 25 yards. Most shots were at the center target. But a few were at the corner targets. I think you will know which ones go with which target.

(Montgomery County)

Just for your info, by serial number that Mk II was made sometime in 2001.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by toml View Post
    Just for your info, by serial number that Mk II was made sometime in 2001.
    Yep. September 25, 2001 it was test fired. In the trade I got all original paper work. Including the factory fired shell.