Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default LTCF Permit Granted

Hey everyone,
    I just got my LTCF in the mail after applying for it on the 27th of December, fast turnaround time. I am 21 and got home today to find the envelope on my desk. My mom asked what it was and I came clean with her. Neither she or my father knew I applied for the permit. She was not happy when I told her what it was and then asked if I had a pistol. I again came clean and told her I did, I purchased the pistol on the 6th of January. This upset her and we just had a 20 minute conversation of how I violated their trust. They both asked me not to purchase a pistol and that my money would be better spent somewhere else. I made the decision to purchase the pistol and ignore their requests. My perception of the new world is that it is becoming an evermore dangerous place. My father was recently elected District Magistrate and even though I am not home often due to college, I felt that since he does not elect to even use firearms, he has never shot one in his life, that I would have to pick up the slack in the event that something bad were to occcur. I got my mom to not tell my dad and plan on doing so myself, I have always been an honest kid with my parents and am not known for deceit or lying, although this story doesn't exactly fit my usual description. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of how I explain to my dad my rationale behind my decision and get him to try to understand it. My mom said that carrying around a pistol would only lead to bad things. I sort of understand this thinking but honestly never plan to and certaintly hope that I would never need to use it. I am somewhat confused on the matter and any advice, suggestions, or criticisms would be appreciated. I know I was in the wrong as far as buying the gun, the permit was my own decision and I am not even sure I am going to start carrying until I get some form of training and shoot the gun more.

Thanks
    Last edited by SuperMoose; January 9th, 2008 at 03:32 PM.

(Northampton County)

Question Re: LTCF Permit Granted

Hey man. You are in a rough spot there. I always find it better to be upfront with the parents. However I come from a family that has always had guns around the house. I would start here, http://www.rkba.org/comment/cowards.html Its a great read and I find the best question to ask someone who is against CC or OCing is a question in that article. Is your life worth protecting? I wouldn't suggest you make your dad read it but you yourself can pull out some very valid points to make during your conversation.

On a side note. I would recommend before you start carrying around a gun on your hip that you get some time in at a range and get used to the mechanics of the pistol before, for your own safety and others.

Also what kind of gun did you get?

(Chester County)

Default Re: LTCF Permit Granted

I'll follow this thread with great interest. I'm pushing 50 and still don't dare tell my parents I have a Harley, and I haven't lived with them since I was 18!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoose View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I just got my LTCF in the mail after applying for it on the 27th of December, fast turnaround time. I am 21 and got home today to find the envelope on my desk. My mom asked what it was and I came clean with her. Neither she or my father knew I applied for the permit. She was not happy when I told her what it was and then asked if I had a pistol. I again came clean and told her I did, I purchased the pistol on the 6th of January. This upset her and we just had a 20 minute conversation of how I violated their trust. They both asked me not to purchase a pistol and that my money would be better spent somewhere else. I made the decision to purchase the pistol and ignore their requests. My perception of the new world is that it is becoming an evermore dangerous place. My father was recently elected District Magistrate and even though I am not home often due to college, I felt that since he does not elect to even use firearms, he has never shot one in his life, that I would have to pick up the slack in the event that something bad were to occcur. I got my mom to not tell my dad and plan on doing so myself, I have always been an honest kid with my parents and am not known for deceit or lying, although this story doesn't exactly fit my usual description. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of how I explain to my dad my rationale behind my decision and get him to try to understand it. My mom said that carrying around a pistol would only lead to bad things. I sort of understand this thinking but honestly never plan to and certaintly hope that I would never need to use it. I am somewhat confused on the matter and any advice, suggestions, or criticisms would be appreciated. I know I was in the wrong as far as buying the gun, the permit was my own decision and I am not even sure I am going to start carrying until I get some form of training and shoot the gun more.

Thanks
    Just wondering, what exactly did the envelope look like?

When I got mine in Allegheny county, it was a postcard which said something akin to, "You have been approved for a license to carry firearms."--a bit of a lack of privacy there.

(Philadelphia County)

Hey everyone,

Thanks
    To explain it to your dad you can get down on your knees and beg his forgiveness for not following his wishes and not being completely honest with him while still living under his roof. When you move out on your own, do as you please.

In terms of explaining things to your parents, all you can do is try to put yourself in their shoes and explain to them as best you can. Ask them how you could ensure that they are more comfortable with your decisions (such as training you'll take and agreed rules of handling while in the house -- get a decent safe to store them in, etc.). After a while, they'll get used to it but right now you might have a lot of 'splainin to do.

.... I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of how I explain to my dad I am somewhat confused on the matter and any advice, suggestions, or criticisms would be appreciated....
    As my children were growing up my wife and I tried to teach them they could come to us anytime they felt we might be able to help. Your 21, sit down man to man. Be prepared to state your case. As a magistrate this should be a conversation he might enjoy.

I know I was in the wrong as far as buying the gun, the permit was my own decision
    Being 21 I can't see where you were wrong, unless your referring to the wishes of your parents. The logical course to follow would be the purchase then the LTCF.

...and I am not even sure I am going to start carrying until I get some form of training and shoot the gun more.
    This is very sound thinking. Good luck

Jack

"Its better to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission!"
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Jefferson County)

Violated their trust? How so? They act like you committed a crime..

...where as it is them that is more likely committing a crime for not being prepared in the event of being called forth to serve in the militia. (he may be exempt due to being a magistrate, militia members are to provide their own arms)

(Bucks County)

If they have EVER bought you a BB gun, now would be the time to say that is what sparked your interest/hobby in firearms. You can also say you have an interest in Law Enforcement or Private Security/Detective work. That might 'fly' with your father.

My HOBBIE started at 8 with a Daisy 'pump-action' BB gun from my dad, then the Red Ryder from my mom at 9, the rest is a great history.

I would definately take at least a basic pistol class for safety sake and that may prove to your parents you are serious and 'still a smart kid'.

Just keep in mind this HOBBIE can be very $$$. Way safer than alcohol/drugs though.
    Al Zeller

(Berks County)

You could just say something like "I realize that this is your house and I do respect your feelings and opinions but I feel a real need to have a defensive weapon available to me 24/7. I sincerely hope that you understand that neither you nor the police can be with me at all times." Then you could mention that you intend to get proper training in the use of your firearm and the legal requirements for its use in everyday and self-defense situations. If you are rational and calm your argument will be more readily accepted.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast