Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Small Victory and Allegheny County

Quote Originally Posted by TRB View Post
    Kudos to both your client for being willing to spend the money to claim his rights and to you for wading through the bureaucracy to help. In light of this accomplishment, does it solve the problem for the next person applying for a non-resident license? Or is it likely that the next guy will have the same problem?
    First of all, I deserve no credit. I was paid to do a job, and sacrificed nothing. My client carried all the weight (assuming, of course, he ultimately pays his bill ).

As for the next guy, I am told the policy is being changed. If that turns out not to be correct, and the Sheriff adopts a policy of knowingly depriving people of their rights unless they put up a fuss, then it becomes a civil rights matter.

From what I saw, it was a matter of not knowing the law, and wanting to limit the work load, rather than any anti-gun scheme. The staff down there is incredibly ignorant when it comes to gun laws, and regularly misinforms people who ask. (This is why I keep telling people not to rely upon information they get from cops; cops are not paid to give out legal advice.)

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    Biting the bullet and going through the legal system works much better than mf'ing the cops or sitting on the porch and barking.
    Sending the $25 to Sheriff Nau in Centre County would have also done it, as he issues to out of state folks with very little hassle.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    Sending the $25 to Sheriff Nau in Centre County would have also done it, as he issues to out of state folks with very little hassle.
    yes, but that would not have done anything to educate sheriff mullen. so, personally, i'm glad pete's client took the route he did.

(Westmoreland County)

First of all, I deserve no credit. I was paid to do a job, and sacrificed nothing. My client carried all the weight (assuming, of course, he ultimately pays his bill ).

As for the next guy, I am told the policy is being changed. If that turns out not to be correct, and the Sheriff adopts a policy of knowingly depriving people of their rights unless they put up a fuss, then it becomes a civil rights matter.

From what I saw, it was a matter of not knowing the law, and wanting to limit the work load, rather than any anti-gun scheme. The staff down there is incredibly ignorant when it comes to gun laws, and regularly misinforms people who ask. (This is why I keep telling people not to rely upon information they get from cops; cops are not paid to give out legal advice.)
    Then it is a positive change in the Allegheny County Sheriff's office. Well done.

Hope you get paid.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    That might have been the easy way, depending upon his circumstances.

But I respect my client for instead doing it the right way.

(Allegheny County)

Yes, it is. But it is much easier than having to choose between knuckling under or risking your life.

Too many people use the fact the system is not perfect (slow, expensive, stacked in favor or monied interests, sometimes gives bad results) as an excuse to do nothing . . . nothing, that is, but whine or bluster.

There will always be somebody (be it individual official or group) who will try to dominate. It may be unfortuante, but, in life, "always the big fish eats the little fish." The question is not whether it should happen, because it will. The question is how one can resist.

I think it is important to recognize that one of the great things about the United States is we can resist government excess or abuse without having to put it all on the line.

This is why I am so contemptuous of those who proclaim: "They can have my gun when they pry my dead, cold hands from around it!* [* So long as I don't have to spend any money, miss any work, or risk getting my name on a list.]" Legal means of resistance are at hand, but these guys always have a reason not to put themselves out. They disregard a precious right to which we were all born (at the expense of those who went before us) simply because it is inconvenient. Then they attempt to cover thier sloth, selfishness and/or cowardice with a bumper-sticker slogan.

I feel very fortunate that it is not necessary for things to come to a choice between physical resistance or subjugation. I am grateful for this right in part because I know those who always have a reason not to put themselves out to defend thier rights in court or take a day off to attend a protest will ever risk their lives to help anyone, even themselves.

My client does not appear to have ever had a moment's doubt. It was just a matter of fact that he was going to fight. He was not happy, but he was not confused about what needed to be done.

If 10% of gun owners were like him, we would not have the problems we have.

Wow..... way to much Truth in this post for some people to handle.
    +1 to your client +2 for your post(s) on defending rights, you got lots of people nailed.

I would be happy for only 1% of gun owner that were like your client stand and fight on principals alone.

People who won't spend their money to fight the system, to fight for their rights as your client did, don't understand they can always make more money, these same cowardly people sure won't take a chance to spill their blood fight to for their rights with their lives on the line.

Still if you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed,
    if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not so costly,
    you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you
    and only a precarious chance for survival. There may be a worse case.
    You may have to fight when there is no chance of victory,
    because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.
    - Winston Churchill.

PeteG IF I ever (again) have need a lawyer, I will be sure to contact you, even IF I can’t afford your fees, at least I know where you stand on the issue of rights and that is PRICELESS.

Thank you for your post(s)

Great work for both your client, and for those to come.
    THANKS!
    mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(Allegheny County)

Pete,

Big thanks to you and your client for taking the time to "advise" the Sheriffs office of your rights.

On a side note:
    Where is that looser that was on the forum at election time posting that Mullen was pro-gun? What a joke.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    Pete,

Big thanks to you and your client for taking the time to "advise" the Sheriffs office of your rights.

On a side note:
    Where is that looser that was on the forum at election time posting that Mullen was pro-gun? What a joke.

Hey pal... someone local just posted that they got their LTCF in about 7 days!

OBVIOUSLY the new sheriff has turned over a new leaf and is currently working hard to ensure that it's easier to get...

Oh, who the Fu_k am I kidding?

That is a good thing to read though, Pete!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    [ Where is that looser that was on the forum at election time posting that Mullen was pro-gun? What a joke.
    I think he is sitting in the sheriffs office, or at a desk nearby..........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast