Got my LTCF today after buying a Glock 23 earlier this month.

I'd say the whole process was pretty smooth & painless.

Started by going to the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office to get an application. I had no clue how the process worked before talking to them (had not yet discovered this forum).
I went to the local PD the same day to drop off the police check card. They were quite nice, and told me to call them "in a few days" to make sure it was done before I came down to pick it up.
That was on a Monday. I waited until Friday, called before going, and picked up the completed form with no issue. There was no fee charged.
Last Friday I went back to the sheriff's office but a water main had broken in the building causing them to close down the building.
Went back today and the whole thing went pretty quick. Officers there were very polite, and the whole thing was done in about 20 minutes. Totally hassle free, aside from the fact that the fire alarm went off as they were finishing up the application (apparently for the second time today); but they were nice enough to finish instead of telling me to come back later...and I'm sure they have some kind of policy stating "drop what you're doing and exit immediately" when an alarm goes off.
Anyway, hats off to Montgomery county for making the process pretty easy. I've read some horror stories on these forums