Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: A new legal fund?

Quote Originally Posted by BearTitan View Post
    Guys, the reality is that PAFOA receives little money from its members. Look around the threads for the green names of folks who have donated something.

Dan has said that, if it were not for the donated hosting and bandwidth, that the forum not be able to continue. Those charges would be between $1K and $2K per month, every month.

I support the type of fund you are talking about, but I think you are overestimating the financial solvency of PAFOA.
    Perhaps, indeed it seems like donations alone could not support the site and the fund. I guess we can just hope for affluent people to help when in need, or for mass donations being given when needed.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Tioga County)

I don't know how much it would cost. If we could persue a criminal complaint the cost would be very little but the ROI would be zero. I don't even know if there is a civil case that can be brought. The only way to find out is to hire a lawyer. How much can that cost? We just funded Greg's defense. The members here did it on short notice. If the opinion is there is no way then we haven't waisted much. If there is a way and we can locate a straw man to put a face on it. We should be able to find a good atty to do it for a piece of the action.

(Allegheny County)

I would be up for financially supporting the cause. This month or next wont be good months to do it but I would as soon as I can.

Somehow I missed the Philly issue, just what is it? One can only attempt to guess in Ed's neighborhood.

Has anybody thought of talking to the NRA to see if they might partner up with us on some of these issues?

(Tioga County)

There seems to be several. they take too long to issue a LTCF this should be easy to document. they revoke permits for any thing they can dream up, this would be tougher. The hassle open carry. there is case law in this. For this I suspect you would need to stage a sting. have a lawyer present to inform them they are breaking the law. capture it on tape? I'm sure there are other things that they are playing fast and loose with.

no need to rush I just opened this to get a feel for how others felt.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    There seems to be several. they take too long to issue a LTCF this should be easy to document. they revoke permits for any thing they can dream up, this would be tougher. The hassle open carry. there is case law in this. For this I suspect you would need to stage a sting. have a lawyer present to inform them they are breaking the law. capture it on tape? I'm sure there are other things that they are playing fast and loose with.

no need to rush I just opened this to get a feel for how others felt.
    OK, again, nothing would surprise me in Ed Rendell Country and when you have a dictator like that doing stupid things, presidents get set when the dictators lose in Court.

Actually I would like to see a general fund set up for the defense of anybody on the Forum who is unjustly messed with by the law like this recent victory.

(Susquehanna County)

Maybe we should look for some comfortably retired attorneys who would be willing to take on such cases on an expense reimbursal basis. In any event, abuse of the law unde4r color of authority should be opposed.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by wboggs View Post
    I would be up for financially supporting the cause. This month or next wont be good months to do it but I would as soon as I can.

Somehow I missed the Philly issue, just what is it? One can only attempt to guess in Ed's neighborhood.

Has anybody thought of talking to the NRA to see if they might partner up with us on some of these issues?
    Thats a good idea, the NRA has money at any rate and might support us. The NRA though isn't is righteous as the image of the NRA.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Maybe we should look for some comfortably retired attorneys who would be willing to take on such cases on an expense reimbursal basis. In any event, abuse of the law unde4r color of authority should be opposed.
    We still need a case. Open carry -- forget that issue in philly. City gov't would run us all into the poor house with appeals on top of scortched earth litigation. We need legislative support statewide to bust that one.

Eight week LTCFs -- is that really worth it? Maybe it is, but 45 days (basically five weeks) versus eight weeks is worth spending time fighting PPD over when we have much more important issues? Again, philly is hardly the only county where that crap goes on blatently and legislative support would seem to be the better approach.

The revokation for BS issues are the meat and I don't see a case hanging out there (they already got spanked on the bogus failure to recognize expungement, etc., so that one's done).

Someone, anyone in philly -- had your LTCF revoked for BS by retired on the job Commish Johnson? (who to my everlasting thankfullness is now gone forever)

My suggestion is this: work backward.

Ask GunLawyer and others similar what kind of thing it would take to create circumstance that demonstrates that "We the People" are not going to roll over and play dead. Do NOT just consider things that apply to license issuance.

List the costs, non-financial resources necessary (cameras, people, etc.), and the benefits from each action. Decide upon a course (or courses) of action, then pursue it.

I don't know how much PAFOA is on the map, but success in such ventures would make it moreso.
    Last edited by BB62; January 10th, 2008 at 11:01 AM.

When it comes to funding the site, not an account for legal fees, just funding the site, I'm surprised there aren't any sort of advertising banners, even for firearms related stuff. I'm a member of another forum that runs almost solely on advertising revenue. Special memberships are also available, but they seem to be the minority of where the revenue is created. I don't think the site is a "for profit business" but at least it's well funded. Even if the bandwidth, etc are still donated, revenue could be used from advertising/etc. to fund an account.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast