Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Got a new toy last night!

Thanks to another member here, I grabbed up his old Walther P22 pistol. Not sure if anyone else has one around here, but it seems to be a steady little plinker and I really want to get out and shoot it at some point.

A few questions...

Anyone had trouble trying to reassemble these after field stripping them? I had a Hell of a time trying to get the guide pin to line back up with the spring and the hole in the front of the slide for reassembly. Took some wedging around and finally I got it all to line back up after a number of failed attempts.

Has anyone tried to maybe polish the feed ramp? It seems to have a little bit of a flat spot that the rounds might want to catch on. Again, I haven't taken it to the range yet, but I did basically run a few tests by filling the magazine and doing test ejections with rounds. Quite a few of them got stuck on the feed ramp as I was doing this. Maybe one out of every magazine. I am guessing this is because I was pulling back the slide by hand (not enough force) but it tells me that there could be a potential future issue.

Otherwise I love this little thing so far. Fits great in my hands and looks really cool for a little .22 LR pistol. I did manage to clean it up a good bit and get it well oiled last night. I might strip it again tonight and play around with it a bit more to make sure that I have everything well lubricated before I take it out to its first shoot.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Got a new toy last night!

Place the top slide upside down on a flat surface. Push the guide pin/spring through the front of the slide, and as it extends through, hold it very firmly between your thumb and finger. While doing so, slide the frame onto the slide. If it doesn't quite seat at the frame end, give the gun a couple of firm side to side "taps", and you'll hear the guide pin snap into place. That's the easiest way I found to do it.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Luzerne County)

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye54 View Post
    Awesome info! Thanks for sharing all of that. I can see from the "P22 Bible" link that obviously I am having what seems to be a common issue with HP .22 rounds catching on the feed ramp. I may have to give that trick a try just to get a little bit more ease of feeding.

Place the top slide upside down on a flat surface. Push the guide pin/spring through the front of the slide, and as it extends through, hold it very firmly between your thumb and finger. While doing so, slide the frame onto the slide. If it doesn't quite seat at the frame end, give the gun a couple of firm side to side "taps", and you'll hear the guide pin snap into place. That's the easiest way I found to do it.
    Also, thank you for this one. I tried doing that, but I didn't really seem to have the grip needed to hold it against that spring. It has so much retention strength. I might need to look and see if I can't find one of those guide pieces that you slip in. When I bought the gun, there was not the key for locking the trigger or that piece in the box, so I think I just need to find them somewhere.

(Jefferson County)

Is it even necessary to disassemble the gun beyond taking the slide off? I can see so for replacing a broken part, but not for anything else.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Is it even necessary to disassemble the gun beyond taking the slide off? I can see so for replacing a broken part, but not for anything else.
    That is the spring I am talking about. I did nothing more than take off the slide and the guide pin under the barrel is not mounted on the other side. It just sits in against the base of the barrel in a recessed hole. So, the guide pin wiggles around while you try and put the slide back on the frame and the spring, being quite strong for as small as it is, makes it really difficult to line everything back up.

(Montgomery County)

Also, I'd suggest running (at least for the first few hundred rounds):

CCI Mini Mag round nose high velocity plated.

After that, you should be able to blast Federal 550 value pack stuff through it with no problem. Definitely though, use plated ammo.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Also, I'd suggest running (at least for the first few hundred rounds):

CCI Mini Mag round nose high velocity plated.

After that, you should be able to blast Federal 550 value pack stuff through it with no problem. Definitely though, use plated ammo.
    Good to know. I have no idea what the current round count through the gun is, but it doesn't show great signs of wear at all. I am going to guess that it is relatively low. Right now I have one of those bulk packs, but maybe I'll grab some round nosed ammo just to have something to play around with at the range next chance I get.

(Monroe County)

They come with a little plastic rod that you're supposed to use. Stick it the spring to extend the length of the guide rod. It will guide the spring and rod into place when reattaching the slide. Takes a little finess but it's easy. If you didn't get one an Allen wrench the same diameter as the guide rod works also
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    They come with a little plastic rod that you're supposed to use. Stick it the spring to extend the length of the guide rod. It will guide the spring and rod into place when reattaching the slide. Takes a little finess but it's easy. If you didn't get one an Allen wrench the same diameter as the guide rod works also
    ...And now I am kicking myself for not having thought about using an Allen wrench. I had them sitting beside me last night and never even gave it a thought. I was more concerned about not having the piece that originally came with the gun and obviously was not thinking clearly.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Now to possibly find a way to smooth the feed ramp out some without taking a dremel (that I don't have) to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast