Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Balance?

(Chester County)

Default Weight Balance?

I usually carry a full size .45 on my right hip, but do NOT usually carry an extra magazine because I am not very large and I don't want to carry the extra weight. However, I have noticed that when carrying my .45 for a long time (standing) my back can start to hurt (annoyance level, not real pain) from the weight pulling on my right side and I have to sort of bend to the side every so often to stretch it out.

My question is whether carrying an extra mag on my left side might actually help by offsetting the weight on my right and balancing it out a bit, straightening my spine, or whether the extra weight would just make it worse?

What are your guys' experiences?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Weight Balance?

I doubt that the weight of a fully loaded magazine would be enough to counter the weight of a fully loaded gun.

The best solution would be to carry a matching .45 on the other hip to properly balance.

Purple costume is optional though.

Otherwise, carry a lighter gun, or maybe try shifting the gun further around your back instead of directly on your side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by XACEX View Post
    I usually carry a full size .45 on my right hip, but do NOT usually carry an extra magazine because I am not very large and I don't want to carry the extra weight. However, I have noticed that when carrying my .45 for a long time (standing) my back can start to hurt (annoyance level, not real pain) from the weight pulling on my right side and I have to sort of bend to the side every so often to stretch it out.

My question is whether carrying an extra mag on my left side might actually help by offsetting the weight on my right and balancing it out a bit, straightening my spine, or whether the extra weight would just make it worse?

What are your guys' experiences?

In short, yes it helps, However, you may find you have an unconscious habit of leaning that is not caused by the weight.
    USNRET '61-'81

Counter balance is a good idea. However, some things that might also affect you. Wallet. Carrying a wallet in the rear pants pocket offsets the natural alignment of the spine while seated.

Pelvic alignment could be off and need a good ole fashioned stretching on the rack!

Finally, switch to a smaller compact 1911.

My vote is for trying out the extra mag, stretching, and watching where you put ur wallet. I haven't carried a wallet in years, just one more thing to lose with all kinds of important stuff inside.

CL

PS. I don't wear watches, jewerlyof any kind to include wedding band, ear rings, nose rings, prince alberts, tats or any other dealie whack fashion craze that comes along and I think I'm perfectly balanced!!!

(Bucks County)

Yeah, one mag is not enough. You need a Glaco shoulder holster with the optional FOUR mag carrier:

(Bedford County)

I would recommend doing more toning exercises, since those will help get rid of excess weight as well as build muscle. Doing exercises for you abs will help stop your ribs from showing.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
    I would recommend doing more toning exercises, since those will help get rid of excess weight as well as build muscle. Doing exercises for you abs will help stop your ribs from showing.
    He said neither that he was overweight nor that his ribs are showing, WTF are you talking about?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
    What's "toning?" Never heard of it.

(Delaware County)

You say you're not a big guy.

So, become a bigger guy.

I'm pretty well-built, and I carry both the fully loaded Glock and a magazine and have never had problems.
    Junior

(Lackawanna County)

Generally, the most sturdy part of the human body is the pelvis. It is where all upper body weight is supported, and it also does the job of transferring that weight down to your legs for balance. Have you ever seen those hiking backpacks that have the waist support that take the stress off of your back?

My first question would be whether or not you're wearing your belt properly. I know it sounds like commonsense, but so often belts are not worn properly. Do you wear your belt ON your hips, or AT your waist? They are not the same. A belt worn properly at your waist (above your hips) really should be able to support the weight of full size .45 without a problem regardless of how small you are. I'm a small guy myself and carry a full sized 9mm fully loaded on a daily basis which I can't imagine is wildly different from the weight of a full sized .45 of the same make and model. I don't seem to even notice the weight balance issue.

Just some thoughts, maybe they will help. Good luck!
    Last edited by C27433; July 18th, 2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast